Medicinal Herbs in Your Garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing this link. I used to have an aloe plant and would cut of the leaves and spread the fresh aloe onto cuts and sunburns. The plant eventually died and I need to get a new one. I am a bit of a novice on the medicinal properties of many herbs, but slowly I am learning how to use them as natural medicine as I try to become more self sustaining.

Reaction score
Thank you for the useful link! Herbs are my favorite plants in my garden. I love having fresh herbs for cooking, sun burns, tea, etc. There are so many different uses for each plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Thanks for sharing this link. I used to have an aloe plant and would cut of the leaves and spread the fresh aloe onto cuts and sunburns. The plant eventually died and I need to get a new one. I am a bit of a novice on the medicinal properties of many herbs, but slowly I am learning how to use them as natural medicine as I try to become more self sustaining.

I too was lucky enough to live somewhere previously that had an aloe plant and it was wonderful for a whole host of things. I don't have a plant of it here in Japan but I might have to see about sourcing one locally, if they sell them. They're marvellous, especially for sunburns are you said!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
The first herb that comes to my mind is the mint. Coincidentally, I just replanted 2 mint sprouts this morning in a plastic pot. When it successfully grows, it is reserved for a friend. Next is the aloe vera if that is considered an herb. But it is also medicinal in nature such that it is a good salve for burns. A wild herb that we have is that tawa-tawa which is boiled for drinking. That concoction is for dengue patients.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for sharing this article, Pat. It's very interersting! I like herbal teas and I'd love to start making them. A herbal bath sounds really great too:)
Currently, I grow only basil, lavender and lemon verbena, but I want to buy lemon balm and a few mint plants soon.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I also have an Aloe plant that I will snip a piece for rub on a burn or scratch when I have not been very careful in the yard picking up downed tree limbs or got to close to the rose bush. I like to take orange peels, lemon peels and simmer them in a pot of water with some cinnamon and cloves, makes a great aroma for the house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing this link! I want to make some infused herb oil and this is wonderful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I also have an Aloe plant that I will snip a piece for rub on a burn or scratch when I have not been very careful in the yard picking up downed tree limbs or got to close to the rose bush. I like to take orange peels, lemon peels and simmer them in a pot of water with some cinnamon and cloves, makes a great aroma for the house.
Aloe Vera is one of the best plants in the whole world. It's so useful. I often use aloe gel on my face and add it to my shampoo. It works better than any moisturiser:)

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
I am amazed and over whelmed with the amount of information here.. you all rock. I have always wanted to have a garden but had no one to discuss even the smallest detail with, I am so happy to be here.. I am hoping to have pictures of my beauties soon

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I am amazed and over whelmed with the amount of information here.. you all rock. I have always wanted to have a garden but had no one to discuss even the smallest detail with, I am so happy to be here.. I am hoping to have pictures of my beauties soon
Hello ShanniB, it's so nice to meet you!
I learn a lot of new things here too, and everything is very inspiring. Gardening will never bore me:) I keep buying new plants even though my space is limited, haha.
I'd love to see pictures of your beauties.

Reaction score
We had many aloe vera plants in our garden and it is very useful and had great health benefits. My mother always put aloe vera in her hair before taking a bath that is why even she is old already her hair is still thick and had maintained its black color. She is also using it in her face and in her arms as a form of natural moisturizer that is why she does not look at her age.. We also had many oregano plants which is also a great herb! Anyway thanks for sharing this link and it is very interesting! :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for this. It is very interesting. Other then Mint I don't know many health benefits of herbs. However, I am always looking for natural ways to be healthy and cure illnesses as opposed to just taking medicine.

Ask a Question