culinary or medicinal

Reaction score
Are you growing your herbs for one or the other or for both?

Right now, I am mainly growing for culinary but I plant on doing more research on various herbs' medicinal qualities so I can
utilize my herbs to their full potential.

Reaction score
Although I mainly grow herbs for culinary purposes - as many of the herbs that I grow have medicinal qualities too - I do also use them when need be - for their medicinal properties too.

I do however grow one herb for the sole purpose of keeping both myself and my cats happy - as it means that they get to be happy cats - as they can party anytime they want and I'm happy bunny too - as it protects me from getting bitten by the swarms of visible and invisible biting insects that seem to frequent this area - especially at this time of the year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I grow herbs only for culinary purposes. They make food taste really delicious:)
To be honest, I've never been a big fan of natural medicine. Of course, when you have an upset stomach, drinking herbal tea can help you, but the truth is that real medications work much better and quicker.

Reaction score
I'd say that culinary herbs also have medicinal qualities, some stronger than others. It all depends on the quantity you take and how you prepare them. I've been growing a lot of different herbs over the years. Some of my favourite are lavender, chamomile, echinacea, comfrey, lemon balm and many more. I find it very relaxing to know that I have organic herbs at hand for every occasion.
I also like to grow ginger and lemongrass, which I find particularly beneficial for improving my digestion and overall health.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do not grow herbs although I do use them for cooking and medicinal purposes. My favorite is Aloe Vera for the upset stomachs and gas. I was not aware cat nip could protect you from the bugs so I will get some to help with the bugs and ginger is good for joint aches and pains along with the aloe vera.

Reaction score
I grow them for both uses and have done so for years. Many times when I have not felt well I went to my stash of herbs and they improved my well being. A word of warning, if you are not educated in the use of herbs medicinally see an herbalist. Like any medication herbs can be harmful if used the wrong way.

Ask a Question