Medicinal Plants

Reaction score
I once planted Angelica keiskei Koidzumi, also known as Ashitaba, a perennial plant which was said to have healing properties against a variety of diseases including kidney stones, hypertension, diabetes, cancer, etc. I have no way of knowing for sure whether its medicinal properties are true but we still made tea out of its leaves and drank it everyday.

I also have about 3 pots of oregano plant. We boil its leaves right away whenever a family members shows symptoms of cough. It has been effective so far and we have never actually taken cough medications for years.

How about you? Do you have medicinal plants in your garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I don't have anything really medicinal that I know of - a friend though grows aloe vera and always raves about how useful it is!

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
The only medicinal plants I have in my garden is rosemary. Its not in our garden per se but outside my house immediately infront of the window. Rosemary has a spicy taste and smell and it can be used to cure colds and fevers. Medicinal plants are easy to grow in poor and dry soils.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I have turmeric, garlic and ginger in my garden. Apart from being spices, garlic,ginger and turmeric are also medicinal plants. These spices are also herbs that can be used for various conditions. If you take garlic every morning, it is less likely that you will get hypertension. Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties as well as controls diabetes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ashitaba (Angelica keiskei), also known as Tomorrow Leaf, is a robust biennial or perennial herb in the Celery Family (Apiaceae), native to the Pacific coast of Honshu and the Izu Islands in Japan. Angelica keiskei 'Koidzumi' is a particular seed strain cultivar of of this species. Ashitaba is noted for having distinctive yellow sap and is used as both food and as a medicinal tonic, with a long list of possible health benefits. Of course, anyone interested should do their own additional research to distinguish hype and rumor from actual fact.

Ask a Question