Mason bee problem

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a 12' x12' back deck that is being damaged by mason bee's. At least that is my guess. I've noticed it is getting a bit wobbly and the other day I removed some of the lattice to take a look and it's not looking good. At least 2 2x6 boards look like they are about to crumble. I have seen mason bee's fly in and out from under the deck before so they are getting the blame.

Whoever built the deck didn't use pressure treated lumber from what I can tell. I will have to replace a few boards at least and I will use pressure treated but is there anything I can do to stop them from continuing to damage the deck? I don't want to use pesticides or chemicals because I have a garden all around it. I was thinking maybe there is something I could mix in a spray for under the deck that would be unappealing to them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a 12' x12' back deck that is being damaged by mason bee's. At least that is my guess. I've noticed it is getting a bit wobbly and the other day I removed some of the lattice to take a look and it's not looking good. At least 2 2x6 boards look like they are about to crumble. I have seen mason bee's fly in and out from under the deck before so they are getting the blame.

Whoever built the deck didn't use pressure treated lumber from what I can tell. I will have to replace a few boards at least and I will use pressure treated but is there anything I can do to stop them from continuing to damage the deck? I don't want to use pesticides or chemicals because I have a garden all around it. I was thinking maybe there is something I could mix in a spray for under the deck that would be unappealing to them?
Mason bees are extremely good pollinators. If you encourage them by making a few mason bee houses they will probably ignore your deck. Just Google "DIY Mason Bee Houses". They are real simple and cheap to make

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Mason bees are extremely good pollinators. If you encourage them by making a few mason bee houses they will probably ignore your deck. Just Google "DIY Mason Bee Houses". They are real simple and cheap to make
I do keep some in the garden. Some made of bamboo and others I've drilled different sizes holes in logs and stood them up vertically. The leaf cutter bees love it and some mason bees use it. They still love my deck though lol

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I grow Kong sunflowers for the birds and the mason bees absolutely love them for pollen. Maybe that's why I have so many.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wish I had your bee problem at my place. I have a small container vegetable garden on my patio but zero bees. Well I may see one or two and/or a Bumble Bee here and there. I have been hand pollinating but that's been hit or miss in doing it correctly or missing that small window of when I have blooms before they turn into fruit or drop off. I need to do something to attract pollinators??? What can I do?? I live in an apartment complex so planting a flower garden isn't an option. I thought about some flowers in pots or even putting out a bee house(for lack of a better word) so they would move in and pollinate. I just need to attract them to me???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I wish I had your bee problem at my place. I have a small container vegetable garden on my patio but zero bees. Well I may see one or two and/or a Bumble Bee here and there. I have been hand pollinating but that's been hit or miss in doing it correctly or missing that small window of when I have blooms before they turn into fruit or drop off. I need to do something to attract pollinators??? What can I do?? I live in an apartment complex so planting a flower garden isn't an option. I thought about some flowers in pots or even putting out a bee house(for lack of a better word) so they would move in and pollinate. I just need to attract them to me???
There are many different pollinators, bees being a few. Most all pollinators like zinnias and a pot or two of them wouldn't take up much space.

Ask a Question