Mason Jars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I got two Ball mason jars, which I got a couple years ago. I've notice that the inside of the lids have severely rusted (the part that has the gasket, not the part that screws to the jar).

Has anyone ever had this happen? I'm think about getting new lids, but don't want to waste the money if it's just going to happen again. Anyone use these jars before and had this happen?

Also, I was using the jars to store sliced jalapeno peppers in olive oil, with a few other spices.

BTW, here's a pic of what the lids look like https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/st...-mouth-12-pack-jar-lids-with-bands/1013923027

33623313923027p

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That will happen after a while. Are you canning the peppers or just storing them in these jars? I believe most canning authorities recommend using a lid only once to assure a proper seal each time. Re-using lids is not a good idea if you are canning, although I know people do it. Better to spend a few dollars rather then risk your health.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Use the lids only once as you could possibly not have a complete seal of your produce. This would mean a tiny bit of air could get inside and cause all kinds of bad things to happen. Some folks use their lids more than once thinking that if they use some sort of multiple lifting spots on the lid that it will not affect the lids gasket. NOT TRUE. Once a lid has been tightly screwed down the gasket itself is smashed down and when removed cannot revert back to its original thickness. But why take a chance. Lids aren't that expensive. Rings on the otherhand can be used numerous times. They can even be taken off of a jar of canned produce and placed upon a new jar of produce. But once they get rusted they should not be used again because you might not be able to screw them down tight enough to perform a good seal. And if they are rusted it sometimes makes them very difficult to remove.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm not canning/long-term storing them; I just put the jalapenos in there to spice up the oil that I use for marinades and such, since I can't put the jalapenos in the normal container that the olive oil is in.

From what you'll are saying I should be using something else for this purpose, since I open and close the jars on a fairly regular basis?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Roadrunner, I use empty and thoroughly washed glass mayonnaise, mustard, pickle jars (small ones) to store my herbal olive oils. When I finish a jar, I just toss it. Using mason jars with "relatively" expensive lids goes against my frugal grain!
Plastic doesn't work, but glass jars with screw on lids do a great job!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm not canning/long-term storing them; I just put the jalapenos in there to spice up the oil that I use for marinades and such, since I can't put the jalapenos in the normal container that the olive oil is in.

From what you'll are saying I should be using something else for this purpose, since I open and close the jars on a fairly regular basis?
Yes, unless you are keeping the peppers in vinegar. Even in the refrigerator the peppers will mold after not so long a time. Look how they will get black spots on them when stored in the crisper. In a jar everything is combined into a small space. If stored in a refrigerator just put them in a bowl for a little longer life span. I bought some poblanos and didn't take them out of the plastic bag before putting them into the crisper and they lasted about a week before starting to turn bad. But for your purposes the lid won't make any difference. In the previous post I was referring to canning for a long term.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada

From what you'll are saying I should be using something else for this purpose, since I open and Tclose the jars on a fairly regular basis?

There are also plastic one piece lids for these jars. They are not good for canning per se but excellent for storing dry items and they will last forever.
31WR358ZTQL._AC_UL130_.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There are also plastic one piece lids for these jars. They are not good for canning per se but excellent for storing dry items and they will last forever.
31WR358ZTQL._AC_UL130_.jpg
Yep, I use them myself for stuff I have canned previously but didn't use it all, such as pickled hot peppers. They are really handy with wide mouth mason jars. And nothing better for dried products such as beans, rice, powered milk, anything dry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I just bought a 12-pack of "flats" lids, I didn't know you could buy them separately without the securing ring, but after reading up on mason jars I get it now...I will look into the plastic lids later, as well as possibly using used glass jars, since I'm not storing stuff, rather using it as a container that I open and close on a fairly regular basis.

33623513923060p

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
When canning season is over, I stock up on lids when the shops have them on sale to get rid of them (and make space for Christmas decorations!). My friends know to get a box or two on sale, and I repay them. My husband came home with four dozen wide-mouth lids recently. I now have enough lids for about two years of canning!
Of course, my canning neighbors get everything prepared and then find they don't have lids. I'm tempted to charge them full price!

Ask a Question