Manx Marvel Tomatoes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Mine have done well in the greenhouse, I'll take a picture of what's left later. I don't like the flavour but grow them for my daughter, she eats some and makes chutney with the rest. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Manx Marvel at the end of the season.

IMG_1441.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Did you feed the tomato plants regularly from when the first fruit appeared Grouie? Tomatoes can grow and produce fruit differently every year, some years bad others good. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Did you feed the tomato plants regularly from when the first fruit appeared Grouie? Tomatoes can grow and produce fruit differently every year, some years bad others good. :rolleyes:
I fed the plants only once. This is my first attempt at tomatoes. Next time I will feed them well. One plant however has yielded pretty well - 10 are there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Considering your climate and it's your first attempt I think ten tomatoes is a good yield. (y) As I said in my previous post tomatoes can be temperamental and differ from year to year. How did they taste?

Because you live in a hot country @grouie it means you will have to water more, that in turn washes nutrients out of the soil and tomato plants starve very quickly. I grow mine in buckets in a greenhouse so they are in a similar situation to yours but not quite as hot. Once the first fruit appears I feed witth a tomato food at least once every two weeks, once a week would be better. :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, that's not bad Grouie :)

Assuming they'll carry on flowering, tap the plants gently to ensure polination too :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
@zigs I'm wondering if Manx Marvels may have been the wrong type of tomato seed to send Grouie, knowing they prefer a cooler climate. It's interesting to see the results Grouie has had though. :)

@grouie, does the heat in your climate differ much during the course of a year and I presume you have monsoon time too, does that last very long please? Could you grow tomatoes all year round? I'm thinking that I could send you some other tomato seeds to try that would be happier in your climate. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Considering your climate and it's your first attempt I think ten tomatoes is a good yield. (y) As I said in my previous post tomatoes can be temperamental and differ from year to year. How did they taste?

Because you live in a hot country @grouie it means you will have to water more, that in turn washes nutrients out of the soil and tomato plants starve very quickly. I grow mine in buckets in a greenhouse so they are in a similar situation to yours but not quite as hot. Once the first fruit appears I feed witth a tomato food at least once every two weeks, once a week would be better. :)

I have not tasted them I am collecting them in the fridge and then I shall make a salad out of othem. Just one or two become ripe at a time. One plant where there are 10 tomatores has grown very tall. I have not supported it but it is resting on other greenery around.
I too have planted them in pots and plastic bags.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
@zigs I'm wondering if Manx Marvels may have been the wrong type of tomato seed to send Grouie, knowing they prefer a cooler climate. It's interesting to see the results Grouie has had though. :)

@grouie, does the heat in your climate differ much during the course of a year and I presume you have monsoon time too, does that last very long please? Could you grow tomatoes all year round? I'm thinking that I could send you some other tomato seeds to try that would be happier in your climate. :)

This time of year is idle for all types of vegetable and flowers. My plants are away from direct rain. Tomatoes can be grown round the year here. Only one must water them properly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Yep, that's not bad Grouie :)

Assuming they'll carry on flowering, tap the plants gently to ensure polination too :)
Of the 10 or so plants just about 5 are yielding. The others have flowers but I do not see any fruit on them as yet. I will do a better job next time. .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
You can take the tops off the plants Grouie to stop them growing so tall and that will make them concentrate more on producing flowers and fruit lower down. I 'stop' mine at about five feet which is when they reach the slanting roof of my greenhouse.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
You can take the tops off the plants Grouie to stop them growing so tall and that will make them concentrate more on producing flowers and fruit lower down. I 'stop' mine at about five feet which is when they reach the slanting roof of my greenhouse.
Thanks for the tip. I shall do that.
What I am happy about is that I got tomatoes. When Zigs informed me that he had posted those seeds I waited for that blue and red striped envelope to arrive and arrive it did. I wasted no time to sow the seeds and they germinated oh so quickly. I transplanted them in plastic bags and pots. The only manure was the compost that I make in my own garden.
I will do a better job next time. I shall make my own seeds.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm amazed that seed we got from America is now growing in India :)

Ask a Question