Manx Marvel Tomatoes

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I'm amazed that seed we got from America is now growing in India :)
I too am so happy with the results. I will do a better job with the next lot. I will leave one tomato on the plant till it dries up there for seeds. This was a test for me too. I just used my own compost as manure and the soil I get in my property.

Last edited:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, it's best to ferment the seeds in a bit of water for a few days to break down the growth inhibiting enzyme before drying them :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Just plain water?

I have selected the tomato which I shall preserve for seeds once it turns completely red. This is the largest size that I got so far.

tomato.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Yep, they seem to ferment without anything added, smells a bit though. I rinse them thru a sieve before drying :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=UAfgYgCqR7k

Bee's just dries his on kitchen towel and says it works just as well though :) I seem to end up with more kitchen towel than seed that way :D
Keeping my fingers crossed. Shall get back as soon as that tomato is ready for the job:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the tip. I shall do that.
What I am happy about is that I got tomatoes. When Zigs informed me that he had posted those seeds I waited for that blue and red striped envelope to arrive and arrive it did. I wasted no time to sow the seeds and they germinated oh so quickly. I transplanted them in plastic bags and pots. The only manure was the compost that I make in my own garden.
I will do a better job next time. I shall make my own seeds.

You can be proud of yourself Grouie. :) Considering the climate, you have done well to produce the tomatoes you have. You say you will do a better job next time, we have a saying here in Britain......'practice makes perfect'......and that's what gardening is all about, improving and learning more about the way we grow our plants. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
You can be proud of yourself Grouie. :) Considering the climate, you have done well to produce the tomatoes you have. You say you will do a better job next time, we have a saying here in Britain......'practice makes perfect'......and that's what gardening is all about, improving and learning more about the way we grow our plants. :)
(y):whistle:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I tried a bit of an experiment this year, which I'm going to use again next year, and which may interest Sheal.

What I did was plant my runner beans in the same cross-over fashion as Zigs, in a double row East to West, then put out the tomato plants six feet to the North of the closer row of beans.

I live in a windy area, near Manchester airport, with Southerly and South-westerly being the prevalent winds.

The purpose of planting like this, was to protect my tomatoes from the wind, yet have them still get all the summer sun.

Seemed to work well. Any climbing plant would do, but I was running out of people to give beans to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
It's a great idea Bees but I gave up trying to grow veg in my garden years ago. The battle with the climate, my coastal position and sandy soil aren't worth the fight. My tomatoes are greenhouse grown. When I eventually move house it will be something to consider though. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
It's a great idea Bees but I gave up trying to grow veg in my garden years ago. The battle with the climate, my coastal position and sandy soil aren't worth the fight. My tomatoes are greenhouse grown. When I eventually move house it will be something to consider though. :)
You'll be sorry if you move; once you've lived by the sea, nothing else is ever as good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not moving to escape the wind Bees, I'm moving to escape the island. I will also be reducing the size of my garden quite drastically as health issues restrict what I can do now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not moving to escape the wind Bees, I'm moving to escape the island. I will also be reducing the size of my garden quite drastically as health issues restrict what I can do now.
I'm sorry Sheal, I misunderstood when you wrote this:

It's a great idea Bees but I gave up trying to grow veg in my garden years ago. The battle with the climate, my coastal position and sandy soil aren't worth the fight. My tomatoes are greenhouse grown. When I eventually move house it will be something to consider though.
Yep, they seem to ferment without anything added, smells a bit though. I rinse them thru a sieve before drying :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=UAfgYgCqR7k

Bee's just dries his on kitchen towel and says it works just as well though :) I seem to end up with more kitchen towel than seed that way :D
Perhaps chemicals in the paper towel break down the inhibitors?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You never know, could do Bees :)

Ask a Question