Not open for further replies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I guess I can. But I don't want to miss the picking time. Believe it or not, I hate the intense heat in summer. And the allotment is miles away. Need to tidy up the house. Got visitor! Wanted to google something and then got sidetracked. I'm worried that I'm on path to dementia.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Throat is itchy and we two nearly finished all my paracetamols. Very mild today.
1575784065190.png

Doesn't look bad today, but we have no car, no bargain hunting. Sad, no gallivanting!

Took some photos of my hellebores, but none of them was saved. Really need to buy a new camera. Sowed some Angelica yesterday and used the calendar already. Should have done that in September. Now it's just too cold. Not clever of me.

Hopefully, tall enough for the back of my border. I also scattered all my old purple sensation seeds around. It's a bit late, but no point keeping them. Some day, they will come up great and good! The colour is simply striking!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Done a bit today in the garden not ideal though it lashed it down last night so it were quite sodden.

I am a bit sad though , I've cut my grapevine down and dug it up :( they wasn't much point in keeping it because I didn't eat the grapes, I couldn't cope with all the seeds in them. Dug out the soil and replaced it from soil from around the garden , going to replant with a seedless variety over the winter.

Moved some plants around veroncias to the front garden they were to tall where they were. Sanguisorba martins mulberry planted in the back garden to be planted with a miscanthus memory when I get it.

Also got some bulbs planted :) finished planting the crocus , planted out Allium Pinball Wizard - Beau regard - mount everest - summer drummer but I did chop 2 other alliums up :rolleyes: oh and some tulips :facepalm:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Haha! Must be the millstone off your neck or a burden off your mind, planting up the tulips.(y)(y)!

Sounded like you've done a lot. Well, I didn't plant anything. Earlier last month, we took a big long frame, like an extended palette from some lady's front garden. I left her a note and she called to let me have the frame. On the way back, I noticed that there are pre-drilled holes for the slabs to break off and I realised that it was not palette material and it was too heavy for us to lift up. Also, I would like to get a grate, freegled alrady, to put in the way so that we have an outlet to the waste land at the back where I would like to store some shiitake mushroom stump or plant some trillium as it was the only shaded area near me where I can use. We dismantled the frame and started a fire.

Lordy, the blessed frame crackled with terrible mini-explosions and it scared the hell out of me. The fire was burning ferociously and the wind sped it up even further. I was so worried. A certain neighbour's dog started to whine and I was further troubled when I heard siren blaring out, thinking a neighbour might have reported the fire to fire brigade. I'm quite used to siren as this area is full of old age pensioners and there are 2 nursing homes up the roads. No chance of having any biochar as the explosive fire burnt the wood into hot red cinder. Thank heavens it finally finished after an hour and I'm pretty sure my gilet was fully of little holes burnt by the sparks flying in all sorts of directions. This reminds me of the wood stumps we saw when we dismantled a greenhouse. The fence at the back was bulging with chopped laylandii wood logs. I asked why the neighbour didn't burn them. My friend said they would not burn properly, and that they would explode whilst being burned. I thought it was a joke. Wood logs were ideal for burning. This series of mini explosions really taught me that some wood would explode if burnt.

Got a roll of chicken and frame all the exposed back garden. A tiny barrier, but I will reinforce it further. Planted Wisteria brachybotrys f. albiflora 'Shiro-kapitan Fuji' | silky wisteria and I will like to plant it sort of horizontally to see if it will send branches up into the air. Might be a silly idea, but I am full of silly and wacky ideas.

My carllicarpa might be dying. Very upsetting. Since Monty mentioned the shrub, it has become very popular in the gc. Now mine might be dying. Even my beautiful hypericum has lost it sparkle. Probably too much water down that area. I have a long hose sending water to the front. I might have been carried away, never having had so much water until this year. :cry: :banghead: :eek: Meanwhile, Australia is burning and ex's sister is in Queensland and her daughter in Brisbane!:eek::cry::cry:

A single cream spotted
SAM_1928.JPG
SAM_1926.JPG

a double which looks confused.
SAM_1924.JPG
SAM_1923.JPG

A very expensive Harvington yellow. Lacks a bit of pizzazz! The yellow doesn't show up very well. Too early, probably
SAM_1922.JPG
SAM_1921.JPG
SAM_1920.JPG

For my reference
1575873092680.png

Ideal for clearing the area outside the workshop and I am going to move the teak furniture back there and put all the fruit trees where the furniture is now. That area is a sun-trap and I am 100% sure I will have more fruits there! Have a nice day, everyone!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all a cold start to the day real feel -4c rain forecast, ordered some sweet pea seeds will give them a early start this year see if they perform better ,We dog sit Monday’s and Fridays for our niece so will walk down for her shortly she’s as good as gold and loves her walks a springer.
934420AB-93E4-4B1C-8159-0F922CAA608E.jpeg

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning, Zenj! Make sure you wrap up warm - there is a terrible chill in the wind, as predicted yesterday in the weather report and I am miles south. Make sure you're warm .. It's so freeeeeeeeeeezing, biting cold and wind which came right through me! Glad that it's you and not I walking the dog. Ah, there are some lovely dogs. I might donate £5 to blind guide dog trust. Not by DD though or they stalk me as if I were a millionaire! I have had enough of the heavy garden por n through the post!

Keep warm and stay away from cold and coughs!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Woke up with the a barrage of coughs. Didn't take the 2 paracetamols last night and the lump in the throat became lumpier. swallowed the pills with a banana.
1575958634357.png

Found a mushy clump of tuber of my Manhattan Island! :cry: :banghead: o_O! Normally, this would not happen, but this year has been exceptionally wet and this has not been helped by the two or 3 severe frosts. I blamed myself. Finally, I planted my Shiro Fuji wisteria nearly horizontally and in the evening saw the famous 250 feet long wisteria in Essex in Great British Garden Revival. Planted my clematis Armandii there as well. Sadly, even though I buried the branches, there are no new roots. I will replant the climbing rose - A Shropshire Lad, but by the look of it, it might be raining a lot today. Wonder if I can get a courtesy car today. No car, no gallivanting, not much fun!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
SAM_1477.JPG

Love this shrub! Anybody can ID this for me please?

7.49am and it's dark, dank, dreary and dull outside!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't know what the plant were and it took me a while to find it as well but I did eventually its called Cestrum Parqui , to tender to be planted here.

Its a rotten day raining and windy , think I'll have a look through some seed websites

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, thank you, Perki! That's a big and impressive shrub and I want to buy one to fill in the gap. All the plants I have are small, inconsequential. This beauty is massive, big and taller enough to hide something. Saw it in Hyde Hall. Also saw a massive clump of Asclepias Incarnata, only with seed pods, so no idea if it had white or pink flower. Dug up Honka and the clump was so big. Initially, I bought it at very little money as it was a final reduction. At the same time, I also bought Myrtle Folly! They all came good. Nice to have so many gcs around, but most of them are not even worth going to, like the ex Wyevale. Yesterday, it was raining intermittantly. Dug up Ellen double red and separate it into 2 plants. It sufered from black spots and the plant was definitely complaining. As usual, the root ball was massive with tons of clay in the middle. A brutal trim and they are now waiting to be planted again when I have repurposed my lawn. I was very impressed when my son said, "You want to repurpose your turfed area!" Repurposed?! Er, Never expected that word to come out of his mouth. When he was about 9 or 10, I was divorcing. I told him that I would take him to Birmingham for holiday, he said, "Go to Brom for holiday?" I was speechless. I had to think what and where Brom was!

1576051182129.png

Nice day for pottering, but my garden is very slippery! So dangerous - free sliding everywhere, even on the pavers!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It was a lovely day yesterday. Dry and sunny and not so much wind. A few days ago, we were in the garage and the winds threatened. We were so scared that we put tons of wood and cardboard to block all the gaps. We certainly didn't want to roof to be blown away. We live in Greater London. Imagine what it's like in the SW which is constantly battered by strong winds.

You know, when you googled low maintenace front garden, there are tons of pop up messages which would not close, like this

1576129264773.png

which annoys me no end. There's no privacy and your browsers are being STALKED, and then you're harassed by these unpleasant pop ups. The stalker probably read my message and has just popped down.

Decorated the house a bit with 50p superb quality tinsels from gc! They are strong, thick and glitzy! Didn't do much, apart from planting my cuttings from Paul Scarlet climbing rose. A real stunner and vigorous too. Only down side - no perfume! I saw a pot lying on its side inside a bowl of water and picked it up to see 2 little plants with green. Not bad as there were 4 cuttings and 2 struck. 50% even though the poor thing had been submerged in water. Don't even know how it landed in there. If they climbed up, I would need rebar, definitely not chicken wire! Ooops! My half-baked ideas are just so time wasting and pointless. I will see if I can drill holes in the posts and use a heavy duty wire to make 3 strong horizontal supports.

Watched Chris Beardshaw's revival of British Blooms in which he extolled the beauty of Enkianthus Campanulata. I have had the seeds since June and sadly they are still in the seed packet. I must get my act together and see what I can do with them. I 've googled about raising it from seeds, but very little information.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its lashing it down here again. I've been watching some of the Garden rescue series . Got my Gardeners World calendar yesterday .

Are you voting today ? The chose aren't the best ( awful ) :rolleyes:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
First, I really don't want to vote. If you vote Corbyn, it will mean the break up of this tiny country. Imagine Russia sending their people to live in Scotland and slowly take over it. It might sound like a joke, but ... Also, he's an anti-semite when none of us can't choose my race!

Don't like LibDem as there is a referendum result and Jo Swinson says she will ignore it and just remain.

Don't like Boris Johnson either - a clueless philandering clumsy fool. Can't believe Farage can actually be making so much noise. Silly islander and I wonder whose payroll he's on. Rude and arrogant and could trigger racial hatred.

I too watched Garden rescue but quite a bit of repeats, like the Rebar idea for fencing. Amazing that bearded man could build a shed from pellets. Clever man! I need to adopt him. Have to say the Rich brothers are always evolving with their presentations and ideas. Some of Charlie's designs are good but she's seldom chosen and I am scared of her wacky ideas, especially the upturned concrete sculpture.

It's most dreary and miserable and cold here. Turned down the thermostat as son is not here. After lunch, I will pot up my enkianthus, but I have caught your bug, Perki! Can't wait and already ordered a 2L plant. I am so scared of ordering stuff now as they don't look too good at this time of the year. Are you lot going to vote? Hehe! Deep sea and frying pan come to mind! Thank heavens we're not like the US where they have 11 months of lying, writing blank cheques and causing hatred..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've never voted in a General election cause frankly none has ever been worth voting for. But I think I'll make an exception this time , Corybn worries me with reckless spending and everything going to be free we are going to be bankrupt in no time , I am old enough to know nothing free and this top 5% and the billionaires millionaires company's are paying for it is waffle, how labour think increasing corporation tax by 7% stealing 10% of the larger companys and everything going to be fine and dandy business will carry on as usual is for the birds, if I were a billionaire /millionaire I just get on my floating island ( yacht ) and bugger off to one of my many other homes taking my money / investment / jobs with it. They is other problems I see with labour and other parties but the only way to keep corybn out is to vote for tories :( the system favours tories and labour for to much .

After my little rant :LOL: I haven't seen most of the garden rescue but for series 1 , I like the rich brothers designs but I think they keep it on the safe side more probably to do with the budget, Charlies are more like wacky designs ( like you said ) something more like a gardener would design there own garden than how a garden designer would.

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I like your emoji after the rant. I need one as well :LOL:

Did you see the younger man design a rather funky wooden bridge with invisible gap? They do go to class or somewhere to learn new techniques.

In this area which used to more white than any other area (we have a bit more ethnic diversity now). Most of my house viewers from from SE Asia or Pakistan. The silly man who thinks distributing the queen's photos to all schools was a worthwhile idea will be voted in again. So basically, I won't make any difference. Frankly difficult to tell - Jeremy Hunt glaringly forgot to declare him buying numerous properties and kept saying his wife a Japanese for more than a year (? What?? It's like the Trade Secretary, Stephen Byers, couldn't do 7 x 8 .. Such abject failure didn't bode well for his intellect or memory whilst a minister should have both!):LOL:

Corbyn had been chummy with Gerry Adams and has promised another referendum for the Scots. Just mess. I predict a hung parliament!

Now, I'm off to sow my wedding cake seeds. My tiny plant is still here. Can't even buy another at a cheaper price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question