Magazine style - all inclusive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all rained all night and still pouring ,full of cold too sore throat gargling with salt water ,so a lazy weekend

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
We don't have rain, but constant drizzle. At least, it's warmer than before. Going to have rain the whole evening. I'm lugging the water to the bamboos at the back. I separated several bamboos about 9 foot tall to plant at the back. 4 survive bar one! Quite chuffed! Expecting more rain on Monday! The garden is slippery and downright dangerous.

Cold sores - A lemon squeezed with honey is what you guys need. My son even bought 2 horrible reduced lemons to do that for myself. 20p!? I told him to squeeze them before buying. Nothing beats vitamin C. Need to go out to take more cuttings.

Earlier, horrified to find one big chunk of hellebore Stained Glass lying around. Potted it up and placed it somewhere and now I have forgotten where I had put it! My train of thought is always disrupted. Must go out before the sun is out! These days are totally miserable. Don't want to turn on the radiator as son is not here!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well, the weather is getting a bit warmer and then cold again. Now I realise that in the US, the ground gets so cold that they can't plant alliums or other bulbs if it snows too much. Talking about bulbs, I saw a line of pink and beautiful nerines outside a house and would like to try that. Very delicate and yet they make such a good impression. Hopefully, I can get some seeds, but with such cold weather, it's such to tell.

Got my tiny Samsung, so couldn't take the video very well.

Have a nice weekend, everybody!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well progress has been made in planting bulbs , planted all the pots up with bulbs daffs - tulips - muscari etc
:)
. I did make a mistake planting one of the troughs up on the fence , planted the wrong tulips only realized when I finished and picked the tulips up I were supposed to plant :cautious: I had to remove everything again and replant.

Potted up plants I am hoping to save over winter, I can't find my scoop its driving me insane its been lost for 2 month, I've got a feeling it might be hibernating in the compost heap.

Planted out the last of the daffodils but for jenny in the garden and the camassia.
Feel like I am getting somewhere now with the bulbs just a box of alliums and others like crocus- snowdrops to plant
:)

My throat much better now but still got an itchy cough hopefully I may of shifted it in a couple of days.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Glad that you feel better. Make sure you take some paracetamols or lemon juice drink to get rid of it. It's sapping my energy and dampening my mood when I was in the grip of it. My son is very good at making his own lemon juice and honey as every year around concert time, he will have it.

I used to be crazy about Camassias, but no more. Just don't have the impact I like. Well, Farmer Gracey's free postage was over. The big Ambassador bulb was still £7. This year, I planted my bulbs in pots as every time I dug the ground, I killed some and that's not clever.

Room temperature is now 18.6c. Very respectable.
1574656171261.png

Must dig up most of my dahlias by Friday or the frost will really have it. Found a huge duster sheet and might use it to cover all my tender plants. In this weather, I still have Cirsium in flower, alstroemerias the Summer series (white and orange white) some salvias. I guess salvias will be big as they are still flowering now. Some penstemons are still very happy and so is Aster Monch.

Watched Trust me, I'm a Doctor in which they investigated the mitigating effect of silver birch on road traffic pollution and then googled that wallflowers, alchemilla Mollis, ivy, alder, lavender, hebe, cistus, convolvulus and rosemary would also help. Must grow some outside. I used to rip up the wallflowers and chuck them. Now I must find where they are and plant them outside my house instead of at the back. I wish I had bought the one from Ongar Wyevale. They only asked for £10. It's called Betula ?? Some kind of birch. A man expressed his amazement at such a low price. I said I couldn't get it into our car. At that point, I didn't know how good a pollution fighter it was. Perhaps, it hadn't the same leaves to capture the particulates. The man even offered to deliver the tree into my house. I politely declined. Instead I bought trellis breaking wisteria alba x 2. The last 2 were £5 each! I knew somewhere I have a pink one!

Neighbour allotmenteer planted a vine and I so wanted one. But he has 2 plots whilst I have one. Can't even buy a good vine as those in gc were full of full size pips and the grapes were tiny!

Son used his phone and filmed the birds again. There were two blue ones with with shades - very pretty! He liked them so much that we were talking about buying some. Well, we'll see. At least, they don't leave huge calling cards. Having said that, chickens' calling cards make good fertiliser. I wanted to keep some for Jenny who help dig my potato patch, but 2 days of rain had turned it into a horrible soup! Ooops!

Went to Homebase and bought 2 pyracanthas. I used to kill them and now I'm buying them. 2 under a fiver for the back of my gardener where people can come into my garden. Christmas time is worrying time for burglaries! Make sure you secure your house when you go out!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's so dark outside and thank heavens, we're much warmer. Took more pentstemon cuttings and some Love and wishes cuttings as they might be killed by Friday's frost

1574748753439.png

Was thinking of removing the grass to put in more raised beds, but this incessant rain predicted has put a damper on it. Yesterday, it was drizzling and moist the whole day. Didn't rain much, but just drizzle and the sun was shy!

Repotted my thalictrums into 3 different pots. Might sow some grass seeds. This kind of weather just limits my gardening. Read in the newspaper that some parents saw via baby monitors that their toddlers talking to their departed relatives. I reckon if future owners of this place put in camcorder in the garden, they might see me talking to my plants and organising my thoughts. They have been warned! LOL!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Got some bulbs fro C bulbs and last time, one of the trilliums looked dead, but I just planted it. This time, one looked so dead that I complained.

The Grandiflorum looked the worst. Roots dead, and felt soft to the touch.
SAM_0426.JPG
SAM_0425.JPG
SAM_0424.JPG
SAM_0422.JPG

Also bought some Crocus Sativus 30 of them and hopefully, there are stamens to be harvested.

Went out to plant them and added tons of gravel and sharp sand and then heavens opened. Would love to go to Turkey as well, Zenj! Can understand why Perki sworn his bike as my garden has been so flippery and there are potholes on the roads everywhere. No laughing matter!

It's so nice to be a bit warmer.
1574836257241.png

I feel so sorry for you guys living north of me.

Watched Real Garden and was surprised to see a very young and pretty Anne Marie Powell. Love that lady who was a beautician and her husband creating a dream of their own in Devon. Shame the series are not in HD and there are just repeats every other day! We have tons of channels, but they are all repeats, some are kinder, repeated within a week. Some every other day or every 2 days! Oh, actually within an hour! LOL! We should have a discount for TV licence! I might cancel it and wait till next year to watch TV as there will be NEW repeats!

Going to be freezing on Friday. Keep warm, guys!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The weather is soooooo crrrrrrazy! All sunny (hasn't been this sunny for a long time) and yet pouring down. Stolen some dry spells to plant out Abelia Sparkling Silver, Euphorbia Glacier Blue, Aster Purple Diamond, Aster Aqua Compact. (taken some Aster cuttings - not sure they will work, but stupid not to do it!) A low compact conifer. So nice sitting next to the bay window to soak up the warmth of the strong sunshine. Comes Friday, the whole of UK will be cold but sunny and this might last for a few days! NEWS INDEED!#

Rain stopped. Going out again!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well, got out I did and I planted my beloved Crinodendron Hookerianum and split a clump of Stipa Giganteum into 8 plants. It was dry until I came in.

1574924271616.png

I'm dreading tomorrow's frost! I must dig up some salvias and dahlias and take Aster Monch cuttings. A very busy day ahead.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Woke up late as I have made it a point not to get up until the central heating has kicked in.

Stripped the grass at the back as I need more area and to mow the lawn with an even longer extension is not my idea of fun. Also, I might get rid of the lawn altogether. I need to think clearly as to change my mind would be time wasting.

Planted out 2 pyracanthas at the back. Hopefully, today starts a drier day for all of us.

Yesterday was a bit spitty, but mostly dry
1575011652076.png

Looks like a decent day.

Son's video of those lovely birds. It can be viewed in 4K if you change the quality to the top choice. They are very flighty - also flying away suddenly or zooming in when least expected, but beautiful and happy.

One lone rose
SAM_1886.JPG

Penstemon Arabesque F1
SAM_1885.JPG

Five of these Aster Monch blooms
SAM_1884.JPG

Dainty but full of details viola
SAM_1883.JPG

New buds aplenty on my Alstroemeria
SAM_1879.JPG

The most boring of all Hellebore picotee
SAM_1878.JPG
SAM_1877.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_1882.JPG
    SAM_1882.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 75
  • SAM_1881.JPG
    SAM_1881.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 69
  • SAM_1880.JPG
    SAM_1880.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 111
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hard frost this morning and for the coming days, planted out some pansy/viola and some wallflowers yesterday in pots , cut a lot back yesterday as well even though it were raining.

Sad scene down in London again :( some people are truly monsters glad the public and police dealt with him, sad for the victims who have dead and the rest of the casualties .

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, cold and frosty. But I actually had a lovely day yesterday. My left knee seems to know it's going to be cold and has already been causing me discomfort. Did quite a bit yesterday. Draped over my Amistad and dug up my duo dahlia and suddenly, the whole garden seems quite bare and bright. Hope all your throats are OK. Son has been coughing for days now.

1575095251450.png

At least, it's not raining. The whole country needs some dry days. Even France and Italy.

I came in 4.45 and turned on the laptop and saw the news. I initially thought it was a review of last year's killing. Then I saw the word today! People are brainwashed by cult and believe in an eye for an eye! Imagine the man had had a genuine bomb vest. Thank heavens we had some courageous people. Last time, a police chief hid instead of responding to the crime. Travelling up to London means more money for any job. But these days, it's just not worth it.

I remember years ago, one of the autistic kids was moved up north as his mother said if he stayed, he would be in MORE trouble. I hope they are keeping well. In the countryside, there are now country lines. My friend said this borough is full of this kind of operations as we have a lot of parks here. Who would have thought?!

Going to finish my grassy plot, dump the horse manure on top and mulch it and cover it. Going to sow more Sweetpeas. I already have a tray going. Last night, I actually use a thermostatic heater for the lean to. Going to see check my lecie readings.

Keep warm, and keep dry and keep well!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday was very cold. Frost was hard and deep. I finally removed all the grass, turned over the soil, add well rotted wood chips, leaves and some compost. All my horse manure gone. Now I just let the area rest and hope the worms will do the job. Had 2 pairs of socks on and the toes were still tinkling with chill factor. Wonder how they survive in Alaska! Watched quite a few episodes and they made exciting viewing. The ways they use animal furs and meat are so different to our approach here. Here, a blind man got told off for having a guide dog :banghead: o_O. This really brings home the meaning of adding insult to injury! This person should be made to be blindfolded for one day to instil some empathy in him/her!

Hope my agapanthus is OK in the allotment. Been quite worried. I think my dahlia is called Edinburgh.
SAM_0949.JPG

I'm going to join the National Dahlia society in April and hopefully can get some £2 bargains when they have excess to sell off. Must dig up all the rest in the garden. Can't bear missing my Kelvin Floodnight, Cafe au lait..Crazy Days Heartbreaking!

Cold and bright, folks! Wrap up well and enjoy the sunshine and dry weather!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Seemed to be very cold. I seldom felt cold under a tiny blanket, but I did. When I heard the central heating groaning, I decided to get up. Boy, it must be cold in Scotland. Allegedly, there might not be gas supply as the mercury plunged to -5c! Imagine how they function in Canada.

1575270839356.png

No wonder I felt cold!

Hamamelis seed exploded last night! Found one seed on the floor this morning! Seeds are interesting things!

When we were 400 yards to the gc, there was a long queue and I thought it was caused by car accident. Turned out to be the queue for gc! We opted for the other entrance and it was much quicker. Once inside the shop, there was already a long queue of people waiting to be served by probably 12 tills. The queue stretched right out to the pot area. Saw a peach Avalon Pride and a Peregrine. The queue and the price put me off. Only 3 lone souls in the garden. All the customers are queueing or browsing. Kids had a good time, trailing reindeer with a stick, the toy hopping along with kids giggling. So jolly!

My 3rd hellebore
SAM_1903.JPG
SAM_1902.JPG
SAM_1901.JPG
SAM_1900.JPG
SAM_1899.JPG
SAM_1898.JPG

Mother of Pearl
SAM_1896.JPG

Ilex is showing up berries. Very pleased with this pair of Ilex.
SAM_1895.JPG

Harvington yellow spotted.
SAM_1904.JPG

Some hellebores with buds, but very few flowers!

Attachments

• SAM_1897.JPG
    SAM_1897.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 88

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Very worried. Son usually home 7.30 and now it's 22.25. No news at all. I'm worried sick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question