alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
1573457976751.png

Anybody knows the full name of this helenium please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't have any seeds off thalictrum Anne I think its sterile like its parent supposed to be sterile, anne is a seedling off thalictrum elin. They are large plants think mine got over 5ft in its first year I would expect it to be more like 7ft next year.

The only helenium I can find similar is Loysder Wieck.

Showers forecast all day today

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That's a shame! I want to buy Clerodendrum bungei, but it's a plant and some other tall shrubs for the back of my border. At the moment, it's all gaps. Replanted my prickly plant at the back to stop intruders. Also, a conifer into a bigger pot, Will move my plum to the back at well. Also some peaches and drape some clear plastic sheet over them to stop leaf curves. Came in for lunch. Gave up on the Eupatorium. Might try using the Asclepias Incarnata for that purpose. Talking about that, I need to sow some seeds.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The bonefire was still temperamental. Not going strong. Paraffin is called for!

Finally, Euonymus europaeus 'Red Cascade' was planted, Fiesta moved to a hotter position where the branches will branch out or fanned out. Cornus China Girl is placed in symmetry to the other Cornus Kousa. Very pleased that one ilex is showing up red berries. Will repot them (3 or 4, some not a proper standard!). Next thing I need to do is to plant Magnolia Susan and Crinodendron Hookerian and others.

1573542529890.png

Probably snowing your ways, guys! Keep warm. Yesterday, whilst clearing up, I found 10 small plastic tops call propagator top and the quality is still good. They were stored in the garden for at least 4 years and I had totally forgotten about them. Times have changed, those sold now are not probably half as sturdy. I used them to cover the salivas that I bought in summer as they had made no progress, apart from lying in the middle of my raised bed, stretching out and sticking near the ground, staring at me inanely. On top of that was a cloche bought from ex Wyevale. Hope they survive the freezing cold in the next few days. Yesterday, the winds were biting! Definitely snow in the air somewhere! Had the idea of buying up duster sheets and drape them everywhere. I feel very sorry for the plants.

Thanks for the suggested name, Perki! Look similar!

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
1573627666561.png

At least a dry day to work in. Yesterday, it rained after a dry spell. When it was dry, it was sunny too. But after 12 noon, it was downhill and it was cold. Didn't go out to the garden at all. Hopefully, I will make up today.

Bought quite a few of seeds a while ago. All the instructions say, sow the seeds straight away upon receipt and cover the seeds with grit and leave the pots in an unheated greenhouse. I really doubt the point of this. Because of this lazy instruction, I have now quite a few pots hanging around. I must curb ignore this lazy instruction. However, some instructions really do my head in. Some say 18 to 20 c and then -4c and then return to the warmth 15c .. I don't mind one stratification and straight to April warmth, anything more than that is pure headache. Not to mention, smoke the seeds!

Thalictrum in true leaves.
SAM_1790.JPG

Salvia Amante, same stature as Salvia Amistad
SAM_1787.JPG
SAM_1786.JPG

I predict great future of salvias as they are still going strong. It was very windy yesterday!

Really love this news

Will you be a tree angel?

For the past few days, I have planted quite a few. I'm taking cuttings and hope I will have some more!

Attachments

• SAM_1789.JPG
    SAM_1789.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 89
  • SAM_1788.JPG
    SAM_1788.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 87
  • SAM_1785.JPG
    SAM_1785.JPG
    284.8 KB · Views: 111
  • SAM_1784.JPG
    SAM_1784.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Very dark and cold
1573713290238.png

This weather report looks abysmal.

Sank in 2 posts with postcrete. Quite expensive the stuff. Will need to reinforce it today. 2 bags of cement has turned into stone in the garage! Oh, dear! The cold frame is finished, but the lid is smaller than the frame even I kept using the word overhang! Well, it's better that he learned as if he hadn't tried his hands, he would even have known how to knock up a box.

I quite like the rain as it dampens the exhaust fumes and pollution outside the house, and on top of that, the garden has a real proper soak.
SAM_1793.JPG
SAM_1792.JPG

Penstemons and alstroemerias are still going strong.

Hope the rain up north has receded a bit. Shocking amount of rain here and even in Venice!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody knows the name of this rudbeckia please?

1573719264256.png

Thank you in advance.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Woke up too early as the air in the room is cold. 17.5c is the room temperature and the central heating hasn't kicked in!

This place is called Fishlake and with incessant rain, the name has come to haunt the place! Such human misery!

1573796208625.png

1573797776412.png

You cannot make this up! The name, Fishlake, is certainly a warning enough for people not to build on it! And yet ...

Yet builders and councillors today ignore the wisdom of the ages and what would seem to be obvious dangers. South of Uckfield, East Sussex, developer Persimmon Homes is planning to build 119 homes on a flood plain at a place called Mallard Field.

Mallard Field is certainly another alarm bell!

So much human folly! Having said that, property developers probably should build the ground floor ON STILT! Otherwise, floodings and damages to proeprties will be a recurring theme.

Watched Love and Hate on iplayer and saw the loner Adrian Loya killed his crush. He certainly was spiteful. He perceived himself to have been "violated" and couldn't forgive his crush and planned for years to avenge her moment of folly! He stated that to avenge this is the American way! But he's not half as duplicitous and disgusting as Joshua Vallum who explained his killing of Mercedes as panic attack, suddenly discovering that she was actually male! Most shocking of all, he actually hid his phone, trying to hide the fact he had that kind of proclivity! He had the gumption to say that he was at peace with God, but he didn't know about Mercedes as she was in hell! How preposterous! The poor girl's body was covered in maggots! No one deserves to die like this. Then there is a person trapped in the wrong body, being bullied all the time for his femininity. Bullying takes so many forms. We need to teach people or children to be happy in their own skin or there will be more of school killings. Another loner killed his school mates yesterday. He probably took the silent treatments, slights and bullying to heart, buried it and the anger suddenly exploded.

1573796341568.png

It doesn't look good, but I have the feeling that it's going to be OK as long as the sun is out! It was lovely yesterday. The sun shone and it was warm whilst working. Divided the Early Sahin and replanted about 5 tiny plantlets and then I have a tray about about 6 and two pots for the other tiny plantlets, all taken at the base. Will do more for Aster Monch which has thrown up another flower! .

Bashed another mouse yesterday, the heart went pumping. Got rid of it straight away.

Finally, the cold frame was ready, but it was so small and is already full. Hope the rain recedes for all those who have too much!

Amazing to learn that November to February is the best time for cuttings to root!

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Gardening was on hold yesterday - drizzling and cold. Went up the road to get my egg shells and coffee grind. Apart from that, watched iplayer Love and Hate series and it was riveting watching. Steubenville High School saga. Glad that it opened up a whole can of worms and Anonymous joined in and this literally changed the attitude of the community towards s exual crimes in amongst footballer star pupils.

Franz Kafka, one of the most beautiful dahlia in my humble opinion! Still going strong at the front area

SAM_1809.JPG
SAM_1808.JPG
SAM_1807.JPG

Agastache
SAM_1806.JPG
SAM_1805.JPG
SAM_1804.JPG

Was amazed that one of my gallery dahlia was having its first bud in temperature of 5 to 7c.
SAM_1803.JPG

A lone Californian poppy!
SAM_1801.JPG

Hope you all have a drier weekend!

Attachments

• 1573883546638.png
    1573883546638.png
    61.6 KB · Views: 106
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning raining /drizzling here .
The rudbeckia further up looks like Herbstonne . its not normally advised to split helenium in autumn its to do with how the clump grows either in spring or autumn they can fail .

I haven't really got anything left outside flowering now but for aster monch and maybe the odd petunia flower, all the dahlias could do with lifting now and the ones in the pots so I can get some bulbs planted. I got three boxes of bulbs to plant plus all the bulbs I've saved . The mahonia got some flowers emerging soon.

-3C forecast tuesday morning :cold:

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the name for the rudbeckia. I also saw several clumps of daisy yellow flowers round the town centre. Must go and take a pic and ask for ID.

I never took cuttings at this time of the year! But this year, everything seems to be very happy with me - gave me plantlets and hope! I keep my fingers crossed.

Got my muscaris and icecream tulips from Farmer Gracy! Still have another box to come! Will plant them later. Went to another forum where the Americans all ordered in the number of hundreds! o_O It's like a wholesale business! Amazing how much land they have! Really have monster green eyes now!:sick:

Just finished taking cuttings of Amistad, Patens Deep blue, Black and blue, Uliginosa, Amante. My hands are pretty tired.

It's so cold that I didn't even bother drawing the curtains. My bay window measures either 11 feet or 13 feet. As there is no sun, I would rather keep the curtain drawn. Son's not here and so thermostat is at 18c.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Laptop kept blacking out! Seems to be a bit warmer today. Expect sunshine, but weather chart has other idea!

1573971719496.png

Took more cuttings - Salmon Dance, Nachtvlinder. Sparkling Heat. A dahlia grower wants to buy the vitopod. Very happy. He's an exhibitor and enters into competition. Apparently, the dahlia stems must be different in size and if the stalk/stem touches the ring, you're out! Such passion. Need to join National Dahlia Society. He said that they end up selling the plants £2 a pot - bargain!

Yesterday, re-watched A to Z in gardening and was pleased that Ellis Fowler talked about Fiesta as I bought one 2 weeks ago. Wonderful flavour. Need to remove all my little gala apples. Nice to have step over fruit trees though. Better post this before the laptop blacks out again!

The dahlia grower said it might be a good idea to keep the tubers indoors and let them sprout new shoots and take cuttings near the tuber to give the new cuttings a better chance to thrive. I will do just that. I will dig up those I like and see how they fare in my lean to. Just enough compost to let them sprout ...Much better then taking cuttings this time of the year!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a bit more done today in the rain this morning but stopped after dinner, dug up some unwanted aquilegia and moved the hellebore there I've just dug up earlier , going to replace the hellebore with a different variety it were in prime location so want a really nice one still got my eye on double white picotee. Also dug out the crocosmia Lucifer which were stopping the view up the garden .

Moved a veronicastrum and a rudbeckia GStrum round . Also remove perovskia blue spire I just don't think its suitable for where I want it in this garden unfortunately :( At least the robin happy with all this digging.

Made the shredding pile bigger for the compost heap

Still hardly planted out any bulbs

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't do any gardening yesterday. Went out and bargain hunting and came home with a sprawling bottlebrush and my first Euphoria. My standard bottlebrush died on me. :cry: :inpain: :banghead:. Very pretty and flowered every year.£5 for more than 5 years, but then still, very sad!

17.6c ndoors and the slow cooker is not doing very well: the potatoes are still hard. I had tons of self-seeded aquilegias, and I had to remove all of them. I don't even know where they come from, but they just self-seeded everywhere. I bought 2 or 3 doubles and I never got to see the flowers, and yet I got rod of more than 10 for the past week and there were still some more. One of those perpetual pests. Crocosmias are a luxury to me. I removed most of them but when I saw them in a clump in someone else's gardens, they do look nice. I love the yellow ones. But they multiply like mad, another pest!

Yesterday was a most lovely day - dry and sunny and in the car, pleasantly warm

1574054029614.png

Saw this beauty!
SAM_1837.JPG
SAM_1836.JPG
SAM_1835.JPG

And this beauty!
SAM_1834.JPG
SAM_1833.JPG

and this beauty
SAM_1829.JPG
SAM_1828.JPG
SAM_1827.JPG

Am after this beauty. They don't even have the white double picotee!
SAM_1826.JPG

And these beauties will lose their freedom until Christmas!
SAM_1825.JPG
SAM_1824.JPG
SAM_1823.JPG

Standing on hard ground inside a nursery! Not too sure of this!

Oh, dear! Tonight is going to be dead cold. Keep warm and keep all plants warm. I might need to go to the allotment to rescue my Rajman Firecracker and Myrtle's Folly!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question