Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Can't see any frost, but the figures are terrifyingly low

1573195345029.png

Hope you keep warm and snug! Took a few photos before the frost wreaked any havoc

Dyson's Joy -Salvia.
SAM_1843.JPG

No idea this beauty's name. It's going embarrassingly strong. Supposed to shelter the hellebores and now hellebores need light to flower and the whole clump is standing strong!
SAM_1842.JPG
SAM_1841.JPG

SAM_1839.JPG
SAM_1838.JPG

Salvia uliginosa
SAM_1837.JPG
SAM_1836.JPG

Penstemon Phoenix
SAM_1833.JPG

Penstemon sour grapes M Fish?
SAM_1832.JPG
SAM_1831.JPG
SAM_1830.JPG
SAM_1829.JPG
SAM_1828.JPG

Alstroemeria Summer series
SAM_1827.JPG
SAM_1826.JPG

Salvia Sparkling Heat
SAM_1825.JPG

Salvia Neon with lovely big flowers!
SAM_1824.JPG

Salvia Amante debuting this year introduced by Rachel de Thames
SAM_1821.JPG
SAM_1820.JPG

SAM_1817.JPG

I wonder what this flower looks like now!

Took a lot of cuttings from allotment - Rajman's Firecracker, Blue Bayou. It might not work. I must make a note 15 October for dahlia cuttings as now all the stems are more or less hollow. Need to take some uliginosa cuttings today. Cats or foxes are climbing all over my tiny cloche and broke the stem of the Salvia Greggii Ultra Violet. Very annoying. Keep warm - yourself and your plants ..

Potted up my Romneya Coulteri seeds and the instruction was to sow and leave the tray in a place 18c to 20c for 4 weeks and then in the fridge for ?? Now, there are something germinating and I hardly know if the seeds have sprouted or weed in the compost has enjoyed the warmth. :unsure: Wish I had sterilised the compost first!

Attachments

• SAM_1840.JPG
    SAM_1840.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 103
  • SAM_1823.JPG
    SAM_1823.JPG
    223.8 KB · Views: 86
  • SAM_1822.JPG
    SAM_1822.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all no frost but rain rain and more rain ,they have even put shuttle buses on from metro stations to venues as there car parks are flooded .Still pouring down now.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all no frost but rain rain and more rain ,they have even put shuttle buses on from metro stations to venues as there car parks are flooded .Still pouring down now.

Oh, dear! I saw in the newspaper that Sheffield household had water flooded into their houses. Really dreadful. I so feel for you. Whenever I saw houses in Norfolk, I had the feeling that they should never be bought as they would be flooded sooner or later. Yesterday morning, it was drizzly when I went to the allotment at 8.30am. But then, it was sunny and dry. A very lovely morning. There was only Jenny and me there. Arrived home 12.45. Just temporarily covered some of my argyranthemums and dahlias before I left. Wished I hadn't gone there with a bladder full.

Shame that you have had so much rain. Perhaps, another holiday with your better half!?

Watched Alan T's 50 shades of green and really enjoyed it as there were clips of places I have been to - Stourhead, Bodnant, Chatsworth, Biddulp Grange, Kew, Sissinghurst, Hatfield House .. Sweet memories!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Ooops! Farmer Gracy sales on, and I am fascinated by double icecream banana and Bellevalia pycnantha! Stay strong! Mustn't buy any more! Must switch off laptop now!:confused::oops:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Quite of lot of sold outs in Farmer Gracy and I must keep telling myself that so I will succumb to the forbidden apple. I bought a vitopod for £25 - just too good not to buy it although I paid 9 times more for my older one. Well, they are the same age. I need to sell it as there is no space. How much do you think I should sell it for please? It's only one layer.

It is quite cold and the boiler is chugging along.

1573285329615.png

As long as my cuttings are rooting, I'm not too concerned. Removed all the hellebore leaves and hope they will flower for me. I separated them too much. Don't think there is a big clump anywhere!

Wish it were end of November and I will part with my money to buy more tulip bulbs.
SAM_1815.JPG

Green Twister is still taking its time. I sowed the seed beginning of the year. Shame I'm not going to be any viable seeds. Today a day of bargain hunting! Wonder when the arbors in diy store are going.

Attachments

• VitoDoubleLengthSolar.jpg
    VitoDoubleLengthSolar.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 94
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know how much a used vitopod are worth , all I know is that they are expensive new.

I can't see free postage for farmer gracy only on orders over £50 , only wanted some of the muscari comosumo, I were eyeing up some of them bellevalia myself.

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I know. And their bulbs are still not cheap. I'm after a Fritillaria Imperialis variegated leaves, but it's still £11+. Came in to do some labelling and it is now glorious. It was foggy and cold, but now sun in full glory. Wanted to check where we spent our money as the dreaded bill is only £160 in credit and I had just put in another £500 in advance. The credit card company must love me. £40 for petrol and there are 3 entries. I wish I could give him a broom. Of course, some other plant purchase. I'm glad that I haven't bought anything from Farmer Gracy. I must stay strong! Think about separating the plantlets at the base. I did that and I ended up with 12 small plants of Lobelia Compton Pink. Such a beauty and I just abuse them by sitting them in water perpetually. This year, my cuttings have come on nicely. Going to take some Aster Monch cuttings and more of my heleniums. So I must click on Farmer Gracy for 2 days and I WILL be safe!

Now, must go to Lidl early to make use of the £10 off £40. And I will stock up aromatic duck, Sirloin, rump, chicken and pork joint. Son will be chuffed. Got it from a free Metro. Now off to some eternal tidying up. I feel like ripping up the grass just laid and start having rows of fanned out trees. But I still want to move. :cry::eek::unsure:

Vitopod £134 probably for brand new. Thinking of £75 - then I can splurge on something else... Oh, dear!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Went out to dig up some massive hellebores and separated them into 5 plants and had to come back in as it was drizzling and my extremities were frozen. It was before 3pm. It's warmer this morning than the last two. Shropshire was covered in snow! Don't know if the pic sender was pulling somebody's leg. On the whole, a fine day for all of us today! Hurrah! But not much warmth.

I have this urge to start more seeds, but the forbidding cold has made me realise that there is no fun having too many trays around the house. January or February, I will start in earnest. Need to take cuttings from various asters and heleniums.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know how much a used vitopod are worth , all I know is that they are expensive new.

I can't see free postage for farmer gracy only on orders over £50 , only wanted some of the muscari comosumo, I were eyeing up some of them bellevalia myself.
Code
bs + get FREE P&P if you enter the following code at checkout:
FREE-P&P

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's like you're on commission for Gracy, Zenj - you know I want to beat the addiction. I might be able to sell my vitopod for £70. Boy, why didn't I ask for £75? Or even £80!

Came home with a standard like ceanothus Puget AGM for £3 and a pyracantha for £2! Hamemelis is still £10. :cry:

Going out to plant them before they die on me.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well, code worked a treat! Ooops! Fasting starts again! ;) £14.21. So wanted the double icecream yellow, but £6+ a pop; well, no! Removed it and got 6 of the white and 2 muscaris instead. I hope this is NOT the same omnipresent and indestructible muscari I have in my garden.

Thanks for the code, Zenj! No parcel for you, just a letter! LOL!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Zenji your a star (y) , that another £19 lighter got that one allium ambassador bulb which were annoying me - muscari comosum - daffs mother duck and some cammassia sacajawea which have variegated foliage which is helpful case they take ages to die back and the normal green foliage isn't the prettiest .

Its been a reasonable day nice and sunny this morning but with a frost quite warm in the sun but it soon got chilly when I turned cloudy this afternoon . Done quite a lot of back aching work in one section of the border , removed the large white currant and replanted around the back of the shed after moving all the strawberry plants. Also move the thalictrum anne and potted up - salvia ulignosa was found under the under growth and potted up.

Moved a large heavy delphinium further to the back of the border its makes a huge gap near the front of the border when its cut back for its second flush. Hydrangea limelight moved into the area where the overbearing astilbe were dug out today.

Also moved the Eupatorium to the spot were the white currant was , its was a huge clump far to big to lift in one so chopped in half which were barely movable but I mange .

Dug out the calamagrostis Karl F I am not so keen on it , its to exposed up here and its soon gets battered around removing all the seed heads leaving a ugly straw foliage, thinking of trying a miscanthus instead . Quite a lot of alliums were dug out / chopped in the process mostly summer drummer which don't look big enough to flower again next year but I'll replant and hope , i hope they are not a one season wonder like schubetii .

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
£19 showed your great restraint. I didn't want to buy daffs as they are borng compared with tulips. I have decided to plant the bulbs in pots except for allium, erythroniums, some snowdrops as they will be chopped whenever I have a new plant to put in. You did a lot, Perki, in such adverse weather. I so wanted to work till dark, but I don't have any gloves which fit the purpose. In the end, didn't do as well although it was a lovely day. Planted out the £2 pyracantha. Need to find a spot for other trees. That Thalictrum Anne is good looking, Have you got any seeds please, Perki? Do you want anything in exchange. Start a conversation please?

1573453969079.png

I really must act fast before the grounds are frost frozen. Loads of splitting to do. Incidentally, NE might see SNOW! Hope the rain recedes a bit for those in Yorkshire to Sheffield. Very sad!

PS: Farmer wouldn't let me sign in and I had to use son's name and now they have sent me £5 voucher, please suggest some possible buy. I have bought icecream white tulip, one lilac muscari and one blue with yellow edges. Please suggest some.. Oh, dear! Spend again!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question