Magazine style - all inclusive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Apparently Aldi all 19p same quantities as other supermarkets sprouts, parsnips ,carrots, potatoes ,swedes,

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Apparently Aldi all 19p same quantities as other supermarkets sprouts, parsnips ,carrots, potatoes ,swedes,

Did you read in the news that one customer was fuming after discovering a tray of food from Waitrose (probably 3 times the price of Aldi) had Aldi label taped all around it! You and I can see through the fog and clouds - Same suppliers all around, even the veg from the market stalls could be from Spain. Very few British ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Yes remember reading that ,I remember a few years ago at Tesco’s Xmas waiting 40 minutes at the cash out ,but now there is lots more supermarkets we have six Aldi’s close enough and 3 lidl ,4 of these newly opened this year as well as all the other ones close by so spoilt for choice ,we have our favourites too like marks fish fingers and Waitrose chicken Kiev.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
o_O o_O o_O 6 Aldi, 3 Lidl! :cat: That's why I am not sure I'd like to escape to the country. But a piece of land is what I am after, with a little stream cutting through .. Wales, Ireland, ..

One thing I can never warm to is Chicken Kiev. I guess I had a very bad induction by Tesco's Chicken Kiev. Apparently, some lovely old staff have been made redundant whilst this lady's who'd been with Tesco for 41 had to make way for her grandson who is now on Zero hour contract. Son will be on contract in January. When I read £140 per day for music teacher, I was envious. But he's quite happy there and they obviously appreciate his output. If I saw this lady again, I would tell her where to send his grand son instead of working on this horrid little place up the road, the worst being it's most probably a dead end job. I have to say: the suppliers seem to hate Tesco too. The quality of their stuff is downhill.

Need to move away as my shopping for snowdrop is swelling out of control! Need to cool my head and come back again. My target of £100 is now extended, like the EU negotiations..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Frost here this morning as well. Must been nice to have the car back alp (y) you can go gallivanting again maybe for more snowdrops ;).

After finishing a job this afternoon of nonstop trimming hedges for the past 2 and half days I am aching, but got some foxgloves - wallflowers planted this afternoon , and planted my mums bulbs as well .

I am feeling the urge to sow some seeds but most be getting round to that time again soon , I have bought any new seeds yet need to pull my finger out .

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, certainly nice to have a car, but as it is manual, it played up a bit and the screen has been too funky for my son to stop fiddling. A right nuisance. Too much information. Now he has ported his iphone to the screen and there's always a map to drive along with and a lot of noise which disguises as info.

Snacks have gone up in price. My cho has gone up to £4.50. Good excuse not to get them. Got 2 bags of Walkers Sensation Sweet Chilli - cheap because they are no longer crispy. But it's OK. £1 a bag for 6 packs. 1 Walker sour cream pringle style crisp. No Werthers as son said the sweet took off the enamel of his teeth! :sleep:.More to do with his eco drive not to drive pepsi with a straw! I also got a box of mince pies! Funny that he said he liked them! News to me! Need to get more, but even Asda have inflated the price.

Just how low can the price go? 10p for a tray of 6 pots of viola! Got 2 from B&M. Got some bulbs for £1 and some for 50p. Sad that all the exciting ones had gone. Thurrock gc had very limited choice. Basically only 2 types of tulips left. Dismal!

My fav gc only went half price, so no luck there.

Electrics tripped again! Too much moisture. I'm dreading it. We had the other panasonic breadmaker out in the lean to for the whole year and it ceased working. We tried and tried, but no light came on. Told son to get rid of it, together with a rubbish tool box picked up by a friend. Son tried to switch it on again, it miraculously came back to life o_O :cat: . I blamed the moisture in the lean up.

Going to plant up all my bargains today. Got some Thalia daff again! And some fragrant muti-headed daffs.

I don't think I'm sowing any seeds this month as I have pots left, right and centre and the electrics in the lean up are always tripping. I understand the urge though.

1576741208887.png

This type of weather forecasts does bring out the empathy in me for all of you guys up north! I now sound like a boring broken record!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought thalia daffs last year , I really liked them when they got round to flowering one of my favourites . I do tend to like white daffodils more than yellow ones but Tahiti a good double yellow, I bought some new variety's this year so I'll see how they do.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Couldn't see Tahiti anywhere in the gc or store gc anywhere. There was another yellow ones in BM, but I decided against it. Buying it fun, parting with money is a bit painful and planting them is pure purgatory! If my fav gc reduced their prices, I might change my tone.

Yesterday, instead of food or plant bargain hunting, we went car hunting. 9am, girl from the repair shop phoned, saying that the network refused to repair it. She wanted the car back tomorrow before 11am. I phoned ahead and talked to several car dealers. Well, as I prefer my son to drive automatic, the availability was few and far between and they sold off very quickly. Went to Honda to check out some Jazz. The man said he could get the car on site if I were willing to pay a deposit so that it would be sold off straight away and the deposit would give him some incentive to transfer the car.

We then went to Ford and my son was keen on a sliding door B Max as his Colleague has one. The car had a sat nav facility, but no back sensor. I said to the salesman that Ford really had to get their designer act together as all the Japanese cars, Korean cars and even the Citroen we are driving have come equipped with front and back sensors, satnav, automatic folding mirrors. The B max came with no back sensor and any addition will require nearly £500 inclusive of VAT. Any way, I told him that we didn't want a black car and I phoned the Honda man. The following were the interesting bit:

Honda man told me that I needed to give him a deposit to transfer the car on site and that would be £500. Of course, I had already impressed upon him that I needed to buy a car within 2 days or a few more. Son has nearly 2 weeks' paid holidays off even though not on contract. But as Judge Judith said, when teenagers' mouths moved, they lied! Any way, I said I didn't want to read out my card number to people over the phone. He then reduced it to £250. Instantly, I took a dislike to him. Later, he called again when we were talking with the Ford man. He then said I didn't need to pay any deposit, but make sure I would be there 11am! Boy, what a con!

My insurance man said that he would get into contact with the repairer to update me. Obviously, these communication networks were not working.

Another interesting thing is that all the Hyundais are tiny. The i10 is suitable for a shrunk woman like me, but those sitting at the back will have leg cramps as there is very little room. The head room is not much more generous either. Same for i20. Was keen to get one, but apparently, their prices are quite competitive. Same for Toyota Aigo and Yaris. Very small. I really think these car designers should think about the markets they are aiming for. As the Embarrassing bodies man said, we are getting bigger and fatter, their designs should evolve with PEOPLE in other countries in their mind.

Today, another car hunting day. It's so difficult as there are competitively priced car in the back street, but they didn't come with full checks and you usually end up with something dodgy. Small honest car dealers don't have a lot in stock. The search continues..

1576830325475.png

Wet Christmas?? Hope people don't paved up their front gardens or back gardens any more. Too many "ponds" of water everywhere and properties at risk. Hope the weather forecasts hold true ..

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's raining now and my garden lawn is totally being submerged and going to feed my chickens is like wading through a continuous shallow pond. I reckon neighbour's pond has overflown. I'm worried about the roots of my plants. At this rate, I need to wear wellies.

Out hunting for a car and I have decided on a manual. Need to phone ahead to reserve the car. Sort of.

Went to Blue Diamond again and it was very pretty there. Bought a packet of Foremost early potatoes and hopefully change the diet to potatoes rather than rice which contains arsenic - mild dose I think. We all grow up on rice, and eating rice is more sustaining.

I have now kept some seeds for the lovely green squash which was delicious. I won't let my son go near the cutting bit of this monster though. I nearly killed myself/hurt myself trying to gain an entry point with my knife. In the end, I sort of sawed it.

Now I understand why Zenj said his pond was overflowing as there has been so much rain that my lawn is totally covered. Normally, it's slippery and the middle bit was under water. Now a sheet of water.

Have a dry day and if you're after reduced bulbs, better hurry up as there was none in Harlow Blue Diamond, except Asparagus. Some diy gc still asking for half price. Good luck.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Liverpool won the World Club first time in history! :cat: :cat: :cat:

Hopefully, Premiership is in the bag, too!

Set our heart on a B-max and it was lucky we didn't take the plunge as the auto version is beset with problems: juddering, gearbox.. Most of the buyers talking about getting rid of them...

There are like 100 channels on TV, but all repeats. Whilst channel surfing, stumbled upon Vienna Blood on iplayer (how desperate I have been and useless the tv programmes are!) Very watchable! If you're fed up with TV repeats, try watching these 3 90min episodes during Christmas.

Well, water receded a bit in the garden, but terribly slippery. Hellebore Stained Glass is teasing me. Lordy! I bought plants to make sure I have the names and now the names and flower labels are like displaced corpses, strewn all across the flower bed. There was massive pooh near a corner .. Sometimes, even the forever cheerful me suffer a dip!

Potted up 3 big pots of bulbs - Martinette, Silver Chimes, Flaming flags, Thalia, white allium called Ivory King. F Uva Vulpis (what a strange name), ... and on top the 2 x 10p violas (6 in a tray). Next thing I need to do is putting some strawberries in various pots. I got 10 x giant size plant pots whilst out freegling. Today, son is going to have a grand preparation for the ducks.

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to a dry day. Very early as I need to prepare the ducks. Now they are being blown dry to make sure the roasting will end with crispy skin. Washing machine on, dishwasher on, dehumidifier on and kettle will be on again and so will the central heating. We are so lucky with all these mod-cons.

Put 2 more bird feeders on my plum tree which just keeps reaching for the sky. No guarantee if there are fruits this year.

Took numerous photos of my Daphne Bholua and only one is successful
SAM_1937.JPG

Yes, lovely and fragrant. Very delightful addition to the bleak and wet winter. Another aureomarginata is blooming soon. Did some shopping and got some wonderful shiitake mushrooms and tender asparagus. Very happy. Just need a bit of top up and this will be a very satisfying foodie festive season!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
A bit of rain possible today. Weather was great yesterday!

1577171116529.png

Daphne Bholua
SAM_1944.JPG
SAM_1943.JPG

Got 3 bag of potatoes for future use.

Got to catch Economy 7, so

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!
Would like to share my wonderfully blotched double hellebore!
SAM_1941.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
All my hoovering and drinking water boiled and now I'm waiting for my proper English breakfast being prepared - 2 sausages, 2 lashes of bacon and 2 eggs! Ah, bliss!

Will go down the road to grab some more ???

Saw this video and the man's bravery is awesome!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The weather was lovely yesterday. Weeded a bit, and separate a clump of burgundy hellebores with tons of buds and some newly bought snowdrops.

As son was with dad, I had my sirloin beef steak medium, together with yummy Shiitake mushrooms and melt in the mouth Pak Choi! My son hates all of them - raw meat, soft mushrooms and Pak Choi leave him retching! Very happy, except that TV was dismal. Started watching Planet 2 Ocean in iplayer. The filming was stunning. Then watched Casey Anthony again, but a different make. Very sad for her daughter who had never asked to sign up to be born to such a callous "mother"! Then Amy Fisher. Was too tired for Mr Bobbit!

The rest of the day was spent looking for a car - want a Ford as it is easier to get it repaired. Got boggled down with 1.0 ecoboost, ecosport, 1.25 ... powershift .. Newer cars cost an arm and a leg and older cars sound like a lump of greedy metals. 1.0 seems to be lacking in powerful and automatic full of problems. To think I nearly bought a B-max! Oh, dear! My neighbour had a Merc or BMW after his Ford. He told us last week that he had an accident months ago - a van drove right into him and the car was a write-off. He spent tons of time cleaning the car, tarting it up - alloy wheels .. His 2nd amour! So sad! He got the money back for his car but obviously lost a lot sprucing the lovely car up. He has bought a Dodge for £850 to run around on facebook marketplace.

It's going to rain today, will soak all the indoor plants and tidy up the lean to. Have a lovely Boxing Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question