Not open for further replies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I suspect spring is lifting your spirits!

Yes, definitely! Apart from the mould on my seed trays. Found quite a few in the lean-to. Should have gone easy with the water. Can't do much still, but I think your weather is much warmer than ours.

I hadn't sown any seeds until this month. All the malarkey about moving. A lot of time wasters .. This guy sat in my living room talking about future-proofing my house for his "family" for THREE HOURS - he was thinking of starting a family with his girlfriend. It ended up they split and no buyer for me again! Time to have dinner.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Mild but miserable day!

Bought some radishes on the back of Jamie Oliver's recipes and have to admit they taste awful. I often wonder his tasting after cooking is an act. Now I know - it IS! LOL!

Bought loads of greens, fruit and vegs and it's as if summer were here already. Even bought a galia melon. Now, I must start sowing melon seeds and chilli seeds.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
This is shocking

Victory for 100,000 who were trapped in unsellable homes by toxic leasehold deals as MPs slam crippling ground rents and demand a change in law
  • New report accuses housing firms of exploiting buyers with leasehold contracts
  • These contracts impose crippling ground rents and ‘excessive’ fees on buyers
  • Ministers have already banned the sale of new houses with these toxic deals
  • But MPs say there is no excuse for not helping 100,000 victims already affected
Joanne Darbyshire, above, and her husband Mark bought their £400,000 house leasehold from Taylor Wimpey in 2010. The couple claim the salesman told them the freehold could be bought later for £5,000

£400K for a leasehold - how very sad! Every now and then, I get phone calls persuading me to use Homewise to sell my house at a lower fee! I said no, of course. Another horrible thing is that the government have done NOTHING even though being drowned in pleas for help!
Electric scooters and powered bicycles could soon be allowed on roads in a major overhaul of transport laws
  • Department for Transport is analysing regulations of electric scooters and bikes
  • The 'biggest review into transport in a generation' will look at laws from 1800s
  • Minister Jesse Norman claims the UK is on the verge of a transport revolution
  • Electric scooters can exceed 30mph but are banned from public roads in the UK
  • DfT said it has no immediate plans to legalise electric scooters

I don't really mind. Better than exhaust fumes and the formation of particulates which are silent killers

REVEALED: Total number of children who have discovered fertility doctor, who used his own sperm without consent is their FATHER, now stands at FORTY EIGHT thanks to Christmas gift DNA tests
  • The rising popularity of genetic tests from sites like 23andMe has led dozens of people to discover that they share the same father: Dr Donald Cline of Indiana

A bit naughty, Doctor!

Stranger makes astonishing 400-MILE detour to drive a desperate couple to the bedside of the woman's dying mother after finding them stranded at the roadside following a crash

What a nice man!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
2 hours of culling and binned nearly 30 hellebores. Wishy washy and just not worth keeping. I need to get some space for my veg. Very warm, but no sunshine. Perfect for pottering.

Where I live is so rough! 2 stabbings in as many weeks and of course, one became a murder!

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Another grey day, but allegedly will be warmer. Once the sun comes out, the lean to will be very hot, such is the strength of sunshine at the moment.

Saw another iris bud yesterday, but slugs have already had a bit on the flower bud.

Expect the warmth to force open the tree peony!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Last night, I caught a bit of news about drought fear for 2019 and wonder if @Perki could find out how full his Lancastrian reservoirs are now! I am relatively happy that we have quite a bit of rains in healthy succession here in east London. But a repeat of last year's terrifying hot and droughty summer is a looming spectre.

Spring is in the air (again)! Britain is set for 63F highs from tomorrow as warm weather returns after freak February heatwave - but UK is still on flood alert
  • Britain is at long last due some warmer weather after days of heavy rain, strong winds and even hail
  • The jet stream which brought stormy conditions and flooding to some parts of UK has now moved north
  • In its place is a period of high pressure will bring warmer temperatures of up to 17C (63F) in some areas
  • Heading into the weekend, the outlook is good for most with sunny spells and springtime temperatures
Flood alert and drought fear .. difficult to reconcile the two scenarios.

Here for farming

Drought fears grow as cold, dry weather continues

The declaration came during this week’s National Drought Group meeting in London where the Met Office said that January rainfall to date is just 4% of the long-term average (LTA), potentially the driest start to any year on record.
Life is full of worries .. especially for crop farmers who have to rely on a fair amount of rain.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Reservoirs are full, frankly they are talking out their ass it were on the local news last night one year where it were dry and now they think its going to happen every year, over the past years the summers here but for last year seem to be getting wetter.

Sorted some plants out but still not got hold of some, poor bank account getting battered . Got a big list of plans for the garden this year lots to do.

Back to work this afternoon first day of proper mowing of the year but for my own lawn and one other.

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the update! They must have taken last year's photo which showed a very empty reservoirs yesterday. To be honest, if I have successive rain bands, the Lancastrian reservoirs can't be empty.

Whilst house hunting, we drove past Hanningfield Reservoir

Most beautiful!

I have never bothered about wallflowers, but they would like to say hello!

SAM_0553.JPG
SAM_0554.JPG
helWhiteAne.jpg

Such purity!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a little potter around this evening , got my two rambling roses planted , moved a hemerocallis which has never flowered probably in to much shade I don't have much luck with day lilies for some unknown reason. Planted my 6 lilium Henyri bulbs and tidy up one of the group 2 clematis .

Should have some plant deliveries tomorrow :D

I grow quite a lot of wallflowers for this year , they are not a favourite but I do love the scent they give off .

Most plants are showing in the garden now and the bulbs in pots . Need to have a tidy up of my hoarded plants scattered around here there and everywhere :rolleyes:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Call me nosy, hehe! What have you bought? I was thinking of going out to BQ to take some discount on the same plants I bought last year. A purple freckled ruffled collared hellebore. But I had persuaded myself not to do so. Son was disappointed and had to run the car engine for 10 minutes to save the battery. It's too early to go as the camellias are not yet out. Next week, the camellia at BQ will be out and hopefully hellebores reduced! That's the only hellebore worth having there. Any way, I managed to get 6 plants out of the clump I have kept. The other one I sold to a local who took it up to Scotland. Now that I have 6 out of one plant, I'm much more relaxed. I was a bit crazy and would sell my duck which lays the gold egg:eek:! Oops! I have also tidied up the border and discovered numerous pots (one with about 20 hellebore seeds bought from Ashwood last year! :eek: And I had totally forgotten about this. One dahlias grew into the pot and contorted the pot. I had to use brute force to get it out. All of them are now indoors and I have already taken 2 cuttings which are growing very well as I took a bit of the tubers as well.

More pots and trays .. If there is a viewing, I'm dead!:confused::banghead::inpain:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Teenager caught a mind-altering infection from his cat, started believing he was the 'son of the devil' and having suicidal thoughts
  • The unnamed 14-year-old boy was first hospitalised in October 2015
  • He suffered with hallucinations, rage outbursts and thoughts of killing his family
  • After dozens of treatments failed, he endured 11 weeks of extensive testing
  • It was marks on his skin that were shown to be infected by cat-carried Bartonella
Thank heavens he was correctly diagnosed and treated properly!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I should have three deliveries tomorrow one has - 2x meconopsis Lingholm - Aquilegia Ruby port other parcel Canna Pertoria and Echinops Tjanschanicus and other parcel has a Indigofera Pendula

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Meconopsis is lovely. I still have the roots in my garden, but I don't think I will have any flowers as there just isn't enough moisture. Make sure you upload your photos. I was tempted to buy them in T&M £10 packets of seeds for £10. But then I curbed my greed and abandoned the basket! If you want something, the code is TM_TN644. Hope it helps someone else. I had penstemons, salvia patens in my basket. But no, I must wait till Wyevale reduce their seeds. They had the blue meconopsis. Boy, I was sooooo tempted, but they will never flower here!

I won't buy any echinops as they love my soil so much that they spread like wildfire! :banghead: I had to dig some up and pot them up or they will spread and take up too much of my patch.

Indigofera Pendula looks nice! Cannas seem to have died from the cold. I left some out for the winter and I think I will bring the pots in tomorrow. Even the ones inside a pot in my lean to are not doing well. Not much room in the lean up. I did some penstemon Mother of Pearl or Sour grapes cuttings. Hope they take!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question