Magazine style - all inclusive

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Don't you just want to be angry with the ordinary Venezuelans?

Drinking water taps give out oil!

Video

China steps in to help President Maduro get the lights back on after looters ran riot during 'madness' of Venezuela's worst ever blackout

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
When we got rid of our heat pump our electric bill went down. Gas heat and air conditioner works better for us, but a gas price spike could spoil the party. Heat pumps are not very good below freezing and they blow cool only somewhat warmed air.

Reactions: alp
Ad

Advertisements

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
When we got rid of our heat pump our electric bill went down. Gas heat and air conditioner works better for us, but a gas price spike could spoil the party. Heat pumps are not very good below freezing and they blow cool only somewhat warmed air.
I only heard about heat pump last month. Funny that some households use gas central heating, and some hot air pump. Nothing compares with air conditioning when you live in a state with high temperature and humidity. It's just not nice - I remember I constantly felt being coated in my body oil when I was back home. Quite unbearable!

Australia is now very, very hot. An estate agent operative from Australia told me that he liked the temperature here! I can't blame him. I'd love to go to Australia to see the fauna and flora, but to be coated in dirty sweaty oil is not my cup of tea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I only heard about heat pump last month. Funny that some households use gas central heating, and some hot air pump. Nothing compares with air conditioning when you live in a state with high temperature and humidity. It's just not nice - I remember I constantly felt being coated in my body oil when I was back home. Quite unbearable!

Australia is now very, very hot. An estate agent operative from Australia told me that he liked the temperature here! I can't blame him. I'd love to go to Australia to see the fauna and flora, but to be coated in dirty sweaty oil is not my cup of tea.
Its funny that in Alaska the cold winter was hard on older folks because I am starting to think the heat and humidity of Alabama is as well.

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Its funny that in Alaska the cold winter was hard on older folks because I am starting to think the heat and humidity of Alabama is as well.
Go to Alaska for the summer, DM with your resident artist! Life must be joyous in Alaska summer! Seen some docus on Alaska and a lot of horrible Ice Colder Killers and including a horrible man who gunned down coin dealers just to amass his collection. Evil does lurch amongst us and it's all senseless.

Extremes are never good in life! Don't you think?

I am supposed to watch The Papers! Oh, dear! The incompetents and divas in this country are ruining everything and they can't do a thing right. So much for the vocal liberals .. Not that I want a dictator or a Trump, but people should strive for the country's greater good!

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Wanted to make a good impression for viewings, went out to weed. Corr! The winds were something. At several points, I thought I might be hit by debris whipped up by the wind. Impossibly disturbing. Came in and repotted all my cuttings. Shame I was one week too late. Some salvia cuttings were dead. But can't complain. Quite a few survived. Had 5 trays of Spinach seed Madeira ending 2016. Oh, dear! My housekeeping is lousy. Now my work top (3m long) is covered by trays and I have 4 candles burning to warm up the lean to. Take some cuttings with my Petunia Surfinia bought reduced last year. I think there were two buds forming, but they just had to go. I just trimmed and potted up 6 pots of cuttings. I was lucky to have a tiny workshop and i chucked some plants there. My begonia tuber is showing some new lumps on the surface. Very pleased.

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I know it sounds dangerous and I actually have a kerosene heater, but as Perki said, it stinks like hell, so I use candles. 4 of them still on the lean to with 3 LED lights. The temperature in the Lean to is now a glorious 18c.

I have a heat mat but it's too hot for the plants and I also have 3 propagators, but I haven't turned one on lately as it is usually warmer here in this corner of the world.

It's grey and windy again. Apparently, Saturday ie, tomorrow is going to be another day of hell.

Rockets are now 1 inch tall. Can't wait to eat them.

Yes, it's warmer to day. Have a nice and safe day, everyone!

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Much warmer today and didn't do much. Bought a 25p Lobelia from Wilko and have to say, it's 25p well spent. A lot more seeds than the verbena I bought from Lidl. Wish I had bought some colourful chards from Wyevale clearance. Also bought a bearded Iris Blue Bird. The first time that the rhizome is not dry, shrivelled or half dead. It actually showed green bits on 3 areas! Potted up both Lobelias and rhizomes.

I nearly wanted to immortalise my camellia digitally as E G Waterhouse until it hit me that I could be wrong.
camBr.jpg
CameBr.jpg
LeA.jpg
leu2.jpg
Leu3.jpg
Leu6.jpg
LeuasG.jpg
Leuco.jpg

Summer Snowflake - What a dichotomy!

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
A dry but grey morning. Going to go out to Wyevale to see what hellebores they have got. Might still be too early. Last night Gardeners' World was very good, especially the over-wrought garden in Leeds. Love the annual climber test too. Just imagine - a tiny seed turns into a huge climber with flower in the same year and bear seeds! Nature is truly amazing.

Going to be cold tonight and tomorrow night. After that, I will put my nectarines out again. It's like a nightmare. The winds were so gusty and some potted plants fell sideway.

Sad to hear mosque mass murder being stream on social media. So worried every time son goes to the town centre and station. Nobody is safe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning, early morning for me especially couldn't sleep so I am up and about. It were raining when I went to bed and its still raining now forecast all day to midnight, wind blowing bins over as well. The hole I've dug for the rambling roses keep filling up with water :(

My bulbs turned up yesterday and Thursday, dahlias - polianthes and lilium henyri, missing one dahlia ( spiderwomen ) so had to send a email off for that. Potted up the rest of the dahlias yesterday but the liliys will have to wait . Had some other lilys stargazer in another largish pot which I thought were to big, took them out yesterday and some have rotted which I feared might happen being in a pot to big for them. Think of get one of them tall thin terracotta pots from B&M think they look nice in one of them.

Sad world we live in , shame everybody just can't get along . Not watched GW yet might watch it now.

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, very amazed that you are up already, Perki ! Must have been an awful night. We still have occasional strong gusts of wind. Just hung out my clothes. I think I had a spiderwoman and I must have killed it in the heat and drought. Why not scale the lily bulbs when they arrive, Perki ? It's quite easily done. I have 4 pots of them and I would leave them indoors. I so want to get Garden Rescue in to remodel my garden. My garden is a nightmare. I have to grow quite a lot of plants for their seeds and basically just plant them where they enjoy optimal growth, so there is no companion planting or design. I'm so fed up with my pragmatic and dull garden. Then there is the fencing. If I fenced the part of the garden, it would look tidy, but would rob my plants of light.

Very sad world and just look at our government and I can honestly say I am mired in despair - at their diva attitude, incompetence, and arrogance. They have successfully made the UK a laughing stock all over the world.

Taylor Swift, like you, laments the loss of her curls or wavy hair as she gets older. Funny thing is that when I went to Bedfordshire Whipsnade Zoo, I saw a mother who had very curly hair and then her mini me had exactly the same. Genetics is an interesting thing. Hope they could edit out childhood dementia. It's no laughing matter as children can die from it.

Going round the garden to find some more strawberries to pot them. I have tons of pots and hopefully tons of straws in the months to come.

Hope you can catch up with your sleep, Perki!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My rambling roses turned up :) but I can't plant ground to waterlogged so heeled inside the GH for now. My dad picked me a terracotta pot up from b&m ( £3.50 cheap ) tall and narrow to replant my lily stargazer in, can't be bothered scaling the lilies not worth it unless you want loads and I am to impatient for them to grow to a good flowering size.

A fence might be a blessing in summer from a hot sun alp, most plants grow in part shade anyway, anything like a fence is another opportunity to grow a climber on .

Dont get me started on brexit bunch of muppets on show for the world to see.

I didn't want the curls I am not sorry to see them go, still goes curl when wet though.

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well, didn't go out at all. The winds have managed to whip up the FEAR factors in son's delicate psyche and he decreed that outing would be postponed.

My egg incubator arrived this afternoon and is now in action. I wish I had paid £40 to buy a proper one. Chinese toy to clog up the world soon.
SAM_0571.JPG
SAM_0572.JPG

I have never watched so many cookery programmes in one day! How boring! Not even a lovely Western movie on show! The winds just would not let up! Relentless! Hope no more damage to anybody's properties.

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Beware of B&M stuff - cheap, but bring it back into your greenhouse over the winter or it will be crocks in no time or onion skin erosion or a big chuck falls off.

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Just had my first Araucana egg. It's OK. I think I might have overcooked it a bit. I used the naked egg in swirling boiling water method. I think my pan was too shallow, so I will use a deeper one next time.

Pak Choi boiled in 1 minute as suggested by Jamie Oliver. I looked at the core and thought it was too raw, so I boiled it for another minute, the top leaves disintegrated. Ah, should have listened to him. They were delicious and literally melted in my mouth. Delicious stuff from Lidl. I also like their spinach. Dry and firm and keep well, quite unlike those from some other supermarkets. Very enjoyable dinner and hope it's Mother's Day every day! Now every day is a Son's Day!:(

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I thought I killed my egg incubator. Gave me a fright. Son specifically said he would be the only person allowed to add water. I added it and there was excess water and the machine went blank for a while.

Such a lovely bright day and the winds seem to have reside a little bit. Some of my 40 years' old fences groaned in the wind and some needed to be repaired.

Do hope the sunshine lasts longer than that. Definitely go shopping today.

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Five million UK homes set for smart meter madness as thirty per cent of devices to be installed in Government scheme won’t work properly
  • New ‘SMETS 2’ smart meters are meant to send data to suppliers automatically
  • But the new smart meters cannot yet be linked up with a central energy database
  • This means they will not function properly in about 30 per cent of the country
  • Homes in the North of England and Scotland are the most likely to be affected
For those across the pond: Smart meter installation is an initiative funded by the government to install smart meters which send your usage number directly to the electricity and gas companies so that they don't have to send a meterman to come to your house and shine a torch at your meters to take the readings.

1) I don't see why the government should fund this initiative as the companies are paying their shareholders and we are still in austerity
2) There are instances these smart meters caused fires.
3) f you change your provider, even though you have a smart meter installed, it won't work with the new provider. I had one installed by SSE and now I am with one of the small companies gobbled up by them and my Smart meter won't talk to this SSE subsidiary.

I had been sent a separate smart meter and I charged it overnight and yet by 3pm, the charge went out and I had to pay for electricity to have the meter plugged in and I didn't see why I should subsidise the big 4, so I switched it off.

Someone in the government must be getting a future directorship, hospitality or kickback for pushing this costly and troublesome initiative. I'm constantly amazed at how stupid these government ministers are -

1. they have been exploited by the insulation company whose insulation panels sped up the fire at Grenfell Towers;
  2. education and GCSE and A levels exam boards which make millions and yet are still enjoying CHARITY status. ..
  3. PPI which can never be repaid ...

Ah, better stop moaning. It's early in the day .. I can go on forever ..

Ad

Advertisements

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Tory peer’s firm is paid £500,000 from energy companies set to profit from fossil fuel boiler ban HE helped push through
  • John Selwyn Gummer key figure behind decision to ban fossil fuel home heating
  • His consultancy Sancroft International has received thousands in fees
  • Ban recommended by Committee on Climate Change which Mr Gummer chairs
  • Already being investigated by Lords standards for £600,000 payment from ‘green’ businesses such as Johnson Matthey, which sells hydrogen technology
As head of the Government’s climate change committee, Tory peer John Selwyn Gummer was a key figure behind last week’s controversial decision to ban fossil fuel central heating in new homes.

But in pushing for the radical change, he failed to declare that the firm he runs has received more than £500,000 from companies which are set to make millions from the decision.

Source

Blatant and brazen? Arrogant and avaricious? You bet!

Ask a Question