Love of gardening

auntiecindi

My Waffle KITTY !
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am curious what started the love of gardening for some of your, and who it was who made it grow. In my twenties on my breaks from work I could walk downtown to the 5 and10 and they had lots of little houseplants for just a dollar or two and on my limited money it was a fun purchase. A small palm and a coleus were some of my first practice plants, and I failed a few times or course. The woman I worked for told me I could take cuttings of some which I thought was amazing!! My Dad taught me vegetable gardening. Grandad was a florist with a greenhouse next to the house but sadly I was too young then. Anyway, I guess it was in my blood and I have been hooked ever since. Can't wait to hear your experiences! Cindi

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I am curious what started the love of gardening for some of you

My love of nature, and my growing frustration that our society keeps destroying habitat without blinking an eye. Only around 3% of original prairie habitat still exists. It's more endangered than rainforests, and it's still being destroyed.

The decline of Monarch butterflies and pollinators in general really fueled my passion for planting a native garden. I started it in 2014, and it's no coincidence that it was the same year that monarch butterfly numbers reached an all-time low, as you can see on this chart.

monarch-population-figure-monarchwatch-2019.png

I started with a 64 square foot native garden, expanded each year since, and now have well over 1,000 square feet of habitat in my yard. I've seen so much amazing life that I never saw before I added my native garden. It's been outstanding. This year, I noticed an endangered specie in my garden: the rusty-patched bumble bee.

auntiecindi

My Waffle KITTY !
Reaction score
Country
United States
My love of nature, and my growing frustration that our society keeps destroying habitat without blinking an eye. Only around 3% of original prairie habitat still exists. It's more endangered than rainforests, and it's still being destroyed.

The decline of Monarch butterflies and pollinators in general really fueled my passion for planting a native garden. I started it in 2014, and it's no coincidence that it was the same year that monarch butterfly numbers reached an all-time low, as you can see on this chart.

View attachment 58537

I started with a 64 square foot native garden, expanded each year since, and now have well over 1,000 square feet of habitat in my yard. I've seen so much amazing life that I never saw before I added my native garden. It's been outstanding. This year, I noticed an endangered specie in my garden: the rusty-patched bumble bee.
Thank-you JB for sharing your story and for your passion for nature. I read about the Ivory billed woodpecker and the destruction of the Singer Tract and it made me sick.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I guess we must love our garden.

We've spent over £8,500 on it in the last ten years. That doesn't include spending on the koi pool.

auntiecindi

My Waffle KITTY !
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for commenting...I don't know how much money that is but I am thinking it's a lot!! A few thousand maybe? I am glad it came out nice and you are happy with it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Well, that is a big chunk of change! So if you have any extra laying about send it over. LOL

Well. My wife has had MS for decades and can't get about very well so holidays are out of the question. The garden provides a nice visual aspect from her chair in our lounge and short visits around it to it when she feels able. So I consider the money well spent

auntiecindi

My Waffle KITTY !
Reaction score
Country
United States
Excellent point!! I would love to see pictures of your yard if you can post some. Sorry to hear your wife has been ill for such long time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Excellent point!! I would love to see pictures of your yard if you can post some. Sorry to hear your wife has been ill for such long time.

Thanks for the kind words.

As a garden it's deceptive being only 90ft long, but the various features disguise the fact.

I make a video of our garden sometime in the Spring most years when it's at its best.

Though not a lot changes. Very little room now to add plants.

The biggest change was the closing of the koi pool this year.

This was the last showing in 2018.

This is as it is now.

Instead of removing the waterfall I incorporated it into the rockery. I had to drill a 1" hole through the paving slab that forms the lower level and the pool's concrete collar below it to stop it draining onto the flags.

P1030073.JPG

Apart from the pool I had the 30ft conifer on the rockery taken down to about 5ft. I think it adds a bit of interest and the low side branches are thickening up.

P1020401.JPG

P1020410.JPG

P1020926.JPG

I'm growing that Euonymus over the top of it.

P1030213.JPG

auntiecindi

My Waffle KITTY !
Reaction score
Country
United States
Your garden is lovely Sean ,worth every penny and every pound. Love the Japanese influence the maples etc. The vivid red in the beginning I could not identify. All of this must take a fair amount of work to maintain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Your garden is lovely Sean ,worth every penny and every pound. Love the Japanese influence the maples etc. The vivid red in the beginning I could not identify. All of this must take a fair amount of work to maintain.

Thanks for the kind words. All the hard work, the hard landscaping I did over thirty years ago, when I was working "and had more time."

The red at the beginning is part of the tightly packed azalea bed next to the patio. I've no idea how many are in there now.

Ask a Question