Desperate and would love some imput.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I posted with pride my Bat Plant here when i bought it about 18 months ago. We made it through our first winter. I brought it inside in the laundry as even indoor plants do not like our central heating. I put it in a larger pot and thought it too heavy to bring inside this winter...big mistake. Even though our winter is over I think it may be too late. Several stalks rotted and now what's left is collapsing. I decided to make an improptu green house to keep it from the cold but it will also keep it moist. Does anyoune have any ideas please.
rps20190908_133603.jpg
)
rps20190908_133650.jpg
rps20190908_133728.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Temperature is a key. 50f may be to low for a tropical. 60f and patience is all I could say now. It would need some light as well of course.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Your idea may work but I would get rid of that plastic today. You might be making an oven inside there. I would replace it with some clear plastic or better yet leave it open, put it in shade and mist it several times each day.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Your idea may work but I would get rid of that plastic today. You might be making an oven inside there. I would replace it with some clear plastic or better yet leave it open, put it in shade and mist it several times each day.
You're right Silentrunning . I realised it was not going to work. I actually rang a very knowledgeable gardener
friend today and she suggested I repot with fresh potting mix, a recipe I googled made up of vermiculite, perlite and peat based potting mix and put up a shield to protect it from wind ( she suggested an umbrella but I'll need to find a colour coordinated one . Now fingers crossed. Rhank you for your advice.
rps20190910_212138.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Why would you use such an acidic, barren planting medium? Would a purchased potting mix containing a little compost not be superior? What is the pH range for that plant? The moss usually shows me something down around 4pH.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Why would you use such an acidic, barren planting medium? Would a purchased potting mix containing a little compost not be superior? What is the pH range for that plant? The moss usually shows me something down around 4pH.

For some reason the commercial growers seem to be going to just that mixture in many areas. For the life of me I don’t know why. Probably something to do with cost.

I would however try to dissuade anyone from repotting a stressed plant. That is one of the first things we learn in bonsai. Repotting is a shock to the plant and you don’t want to add any stress while it is in a weakened condition. The above plant has plenty of leaves left and will probably survive just fine if the roots are healthy. @DeborahJane Don’t move the plant if you don’t have to and monitor the Ph and you should be fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For some reason the commercial growers seem to be going to just that mixture in many areas. For the life of me I don’t know why. Probably something to do with cost.

I would however try to dissuade anyone from repotting a stressed plant. That is one of the first things we learn in bonsai. Repotting is a shock to the plant and you don’t want to add any stress while it is in a weakened condition. The above plant has plenty of leaves left and will probably survive just fine if the roots are healthy. @DeborahJane Don’t move the plant if you don’t have to and monitor the Ph and you should be fine.
I totally agree with your post. What I really wanted to talk about is that growing medium. Why on earth would anyone want to transplant anything into a sterile environment. All peat does is retain moisture and add acid. No nutrients whatsoever. And vermiculite and perlite? Even more water retention and it looks to me the plant is suffering from root rot from overwatering. Even if there were a little npk in the potting mix it still seems to me to be counter-productive.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I googled Tacca plant when i first purchased it and that's the recipe given. It's meant to be living in a much warmer climate than where i live and i guess the reason is the soil should not retain water. I don't know about the pH range. I'll google.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia

Too late I'm afraid silentrunning but I'll remember for next time...do not repot! Makes sense now that you have explained it. Thanks for your input and hope.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I totally agree with your post. What I really wanted to talk about is that growing medium. Why on earth would anyone want to transplant anything into a sterile environment. All peat does is retain moisture and add acid. No nutrients whatsoever. And vermiculite and perlite? Even more water retention and it looks to me the plant is suffering from root rot from overwatering. Even if there were a little npk in the potting mix it still seems to me to be counter-productive.

Many people don’t realize that plant roots need oxygen and they can’t take the O out of H2O. I have raised several plants in nothing but stones. Most of my bonsai trees are in completely inorganic media. The problem with doing this for plants or gardens is the amount of science and work. Some of my trees have to be watered 3 times a day. Since joining this forum, I have become a firm believer that sterilized compost is the magic wand of gardening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Many people don’t realize that plant roots need oxygen and they can’t take the O out of H2O. I have raised several plants in nothing but stones. Most of my bonsai trees are in completely inorganic media. The problem with doing this for plants or gardens is the amount of science and work. Some of my trees have to be watered 3 times a day. Since joining this forum, I have become a firm believer that sterilized compost is the magic wand of gardening.
I start all my seeds in sterilized (heat treated) homemade compost. My sterilized compost still has all of the NPK as non-sterilized. The only thing different between sterilized and non-sterilised is that the soil micro-organisms have been killed in the sterilized. I know absolutely nothing about bonsai but I do know that all plants must have nutrients. If your bonsai trees grow in a sterile environment it seems to me that you must feed them with synthetic liquids, thus avoiding all soil microbes which break down organic matter in order for nutrient uptake. I just can't see a vegetable garden or any garden being grown in a sterile environment such as sterile compost. I don't know if aquaponics or hydroponics have bacteria or not. It just goes against everything I know about plants. Perhaps you can explain the process

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Now I need to know about its origins. Lol my wife wonders why I read what I read!
I googled Tacca Plant and got the information DirtMechanic. I made notes in my little excercise book on gardening which is getting a bit full and a bit unorganized. Transferring the info into another more efficient note book can be another wet day inside job.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I start all my seeds in sterilized (heat treated) homemade compost. My sterilized compost still has all of the NPK as non-sterilized. The only thing different between sterilized and non-sterilised is that the soil micro-organisms have been killed in the sterilized. I know absolutely nothing about bonsai but I do know that all plants must have nutrients. If your bonsai trees grow in a sterile environment it seems to me that you must feed them with synthetic liquids, thus avoiding all soil microbes which break down organic matter in order for nutrient uptake. I just can't see a vegetable garden or any garden being grown in a sterile environment such as sterile compost. I don't know if aquaponics or hydroponics have bacteria or not. It just goes against everything I know about plants. Perhaps you can explain the process

The feeding of bonsai is the difference between prize winning trees and fire wood. I use various liquid fertilizers while many use solid fertilizer pouches or cakes. I can’t use them because of vermin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
My Tacca was still looking limp and sad so I decided it would be best to bring it inside. Popped it on the table in the sunshine for a bit of warmth, turned my back and a blasted cockatoo got it. Ripped off most of the leaves so now it's really struggling and looking very sad. Tucked inside in the laundry safe and sound now so I think there is only TLC words left.
rps20190918_035305.jpg
rps20190918_035233.jpg

Ask a Question