Hi, from Hempstead TX. I am new here. I love plants and gardening.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The only thing I love more than plants and gardening is my husband and 13 year old son. I think I got the gardening bug from my Dad. As far back as I can remember he was in the yard tending to his beloved plants. He went through classes here in Texas to become a Master Gardner through Texas A&M. His yard, gardens and plants are amazing and he has a huge amount of plants - so many that he bought a HUGE greenhouse. I definitely want to learn more and have fun doing it. You might ask why don't I talk to my Father about his experience with different plants. Well, I would love to talk with him but he is terminally ill with COPD. He only has enough energy to sit on a couch in the living room. COPD has stolen so much from him and especially his enjoyment of plants. My Mom takes care of his plants now. CIGARETTES STOLE HIS LIFE.

I hope to make new friends and gain knowledge here! Maybe I can get my Dad to at lease participate here - maybe not.
Theresa

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! We are in Central Texas on a small farm with vegetable, flower and herb gardens, and hens. Hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:)Welcome Theresa! You are in/near Houston? Do you know your usda zone? If i remember correctly Houston has lots of yummy heat and humidity that so many plants really love and you should be able to grow a wide variety of things. It would be lovely to see some photos of your gardens. There are some wonderful friendly people from all over the world here who are knowledgeable and creative and there are new gardeners as well. It is a good mix and i hope you will enjoy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums Theresa. I'm sorry to hear the news of your Father and no doubt you are making the best of the time you have with him. He has without doubt past his love of gardening on to you and that must make him proud of what you and he has achieved. We look forward to seeing you around the forums here. :)

Reaction score
Welcome, Theresa! Glad you decided to join us! Sorry about your dad though, but thanks a lot for sharing is story with us. It hits close to home, because my fiance has been smoking for very long, and he is already stating to cough often. I am afraid he'll not stop until he is diagnosed with a terminal disease. Nicotine addiction is terrible. Hope your dad feels better and that you and your mom can enjoy his company for many years :)

auntiecindi

My Waffle KITTY !
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Theresa, sorry about your Dad, my Mom smoked for 50 years and she had COPD too. She was lucky she lived nearly 87 years in spite of it. I am glad I quit in my twenties after only a few years. Welcome to the forum, I am pretty new here too. I grow plants indoors. What is it you love to grow?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The only thing I love more than plants and gardening is my husband and 13 year old son. I think I got the gardening bug from my Dad. As far back as I can remember he was in the yard tending to his beloved plants. He went through classes here in Texas to become a Master Gardner through Texas A&M. His yard, gardens and plants are amazing and he has a huge amount of plants - so many that he bought a HUGE greenhouse. I definitely want to learn more and have fun doing it. You might ask why don't I talk to my Father about his experience with different plants. Well, I would love to talk with him but he is terminally ill with COPD. He only has enough energy to sit on a couch in the living room. COPD has stolen so much from him and especially his enjoyment of plants. My Mom takes care of his plants now. CIGARETTES STOLE HIS LIFE.

I hope to make new friends and gain knowledge here! Maybe I can get my Dad to at lease participate here - maybe not.
Theresa

im sorry for your fathers health issues and thats wonderful you’re following his foot steps! I am new here as well very nice to meet you,but I am also a wealth of knowledge when it comes to gardening hunny so if u have any questions feel free to ask! My family has been farming forever. I started my own farm in the early 80s. Ciggerretts aren’t as bad as what folks say, it just depends. If you grow your own tobacco and roll it with old fashion papers you won’t have as many health problems and shew much healthier than that darn vaping these kids do nowadays. What are you interested in growing darlin?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome aboard Theresa. What are your botanical interests: flowers (perennials or annuals), veggies, etc.

BTW: I have COPD too, but am still able to get outside and do things... although I take many more 'breaks' these days. I have small backyard in NE Ohio, but have managed to grow and assortment of things. The last few years, I've built a small greenhouse & been growing many Dahlias.

What are your dad's favorites?

I'd like to see some pics of your 'spread'.

auntiecindi

My Waffle KITTY !
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Ohio John and welcome to the forum. I am new here too. I am an indoor gardener mostly. I may do some tomatoes again next season.

Ask a Question