Looking for some flower suggestions

Reaction score
Hello, I will start by saying I live in Minnesota, so a hardiness zone of 4a-4b.

I'm wondering if anyone could tell me some suggestions of flowers that could run under and around a maybe 2'-3' large piece of driftwood.

I've also go an area roughly 5'x12' that I'm looking for flowering ground cover, some flowers in a middle height (12"-18" tall) and we will be using a white hibiscus tree in the center.

Lastly, if anyone has any ideas regarding a spreading but non-invasive flower that could be placed between large 3'-4' diameter boulders. We would like some color to spruce up an area around a fire pit.

Preferably non-tropical for all of these so only the hibiscus tree needs to be brought in the house over the winter.
Thank you all so much.

The driftwood looks sort of similar to this though obviously not a light fixture haha.
images.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ooh I love that light!! :D

Getting back to your questions, how tall does the driftwood stand? My first thought is a woodland look - you could plant bluebells, crocuses, daffodils and ferns around it, but you wouldn't have much summer colour.

Do you have any photos of the large area?

Around the boulders, how about foxgloves (digitalis)? They are available in lots of different colours, although some do get quite tall.

Reaction score
Would the drift wood allow you to plant something inside of it somewhere? Im think something with shallow roots like ice plant that would cascade over it. Another colorful option would be moss roses. If not and you wanted something to grow up through it and flower-maybe daylilies?? There are so many color options nowadays. If you want some color between the boulders but nothing too overbearing a small rose bush between them would be beautiful or again the daylilies.

Ask a Question