I recoiled looking at this flower

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
From a distance it looked like a reptile that had coiled up. I recoiled looking at it but when I went closer it was a flower. On further scrutiny it turned out to be the yam flower. Strangely it sprang from the ground leafless. Later a plant emerged and it was only then did I recognise it.

yam.JPG
yamplant.jpg
yam.jpg

Image credit
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ചേന.jpg

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
That is an interesting looking flower! I would have also got a little scared seeing it in my pathway.

Reaction score
I had no idea what yam flowers looked like, they do look interesting. That flower kinda reminded me of a huge purple cabbage. Very beautiful and interesting, now if I ever see it face to face I'll know it's a yam flower ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, it's one of the weirdest flowers I've ever seen! Was it fragrant? Yams don't grow in my area, I've never seen or eaten them.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Country
United States
This is Amorphophallus paeoniifolius in the Aroid family (Araceae). It is native to tropical Asia, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Philippines, Taiwan, New Guinea, Australia's Northern Territory, and other islands. The plant is cultivated for its edible tubers, which are called Elephant-foot Yams. However this plant is not closely related to the 'true' yams of the genus Dioscorea.

Many people may have of heard of the related Titan Arum (Amorphophallus titanum) from Sumatra, which has the largest unbranched inflorescence in the world. (The largest inflorescence of all is usually credited to the Talipot Palm (Corypha umbraculifera)).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The fronds look as though there is one under each plant, do they deter something that would eat your yams?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wouldn't be surprised if the palm fronds were placed there to discourage digging. I grow several tuberous aroids, including Amorphophallus konjac, and I often need to take measures to keep squirrels from digging in the pots.

Ask a Question