Looking for a flowering climber!

Reaction score
Can any of you recommend a climber that I can grow up against the wall of my home? It is a north-facing wall so not much sun. It would be fantastic to find an annual, and preferably white flowers...Would you be able to suggest anything?

Reaction score
I personally love Morning Glory, but I am not sure if it will do well on the north side. Perhaps a Moonflower may do well. The Morning Glory in my picture was purely volunteer, and did remarkably well in a full sun garden bed. One plant that does climb well and quickly is the Virginia Creeper, but it does not have very fancy flowers. It puts on its best show of color in the fall when the leaves turn red. It is a perennial, and I have had one growing in my garden on a trellis for a few years.

Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestions! I will look into the moonflower and read up on its ability to do well without much sunlight. If anyone else has any suggestions let me know please!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Honeysuckle is a vine that has a great aroma. I don't know how much sun the plant would require, but it is a suggestion.

Reaction score
I personally love Morning Glory, but I am not sure if it will do well on the north side. Perhaps a Moonflower may do well. The Morning Glory in my picture was purely volunteer, and did remarkably well in a full sun garden bed. One plant that does climb well and quickly is the Virginia Creeper, but it does not have very fancy flowers. It puts on its best show of color in the fall when the leaves turn red. It is a perennial, and I have had one growing in my garden on a trellis for a few years.
We have morning glories that climb our fence from the neighbor's yard. We let them because they do look beautiful coming over our 6 foot fence. They do well at our place with not too much sun all day, tho it does get some sunlight. We do not have full sunlight there all day by far (too small of yards, too many trees and such.) Maybe it is just luck here tho if they do require a lot of sun.

Reaction score
Have you thought about a cup and saucer vine? They have beautiful flowers, and you won't need a trellis because it puts out suckers (even on brick). I love them, but be sure they are watered they are quite sensitive and don't handle drought well.

Reaction score
I used morning glory to cover a fence and it went wild. I realize many consider it a weed, but it seems to grow just about everywhere, but you do have to keep it somewhat under control. I see the others may not have mentioned this and I wonder if it just is so agressive in hotter climates. I had a trumpet vine on a North wall and it did quite well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
How about Climbing Hydrangea? I've never tried growing the plant, so I can't say anything from my own experience, but I did some research and I think that it doesn't need full sun. Also, it just looks so gorgeous:
2610849938_308fcd299b_z.jpg

flowers010.JPG

Reaction score
What about ''Akebia quinata''? This climber is ideal for a cold, sunless north wall! Plus it also comes with white flowers:

Akebia-quinata-Alba-habit.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Trellum, it's such a beautiful picture! And a gorgeous plant, I love how big it is, it's so vivid. The fence in the back of my parents' garden is really ugly, in my opinion they should plant this climber there, it would cover everything:)

Reaction score
Hehehe! Thanks, Claudine :) I've seen this plant in real life, if they ever pick it... they should make the fence is strong enough, because this beauty grows like there is no tomorrow and weights a lot! It can take a weak fence down very easily, believe me. Other than that... great plant (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Unfortunately, the fence looks like it was going to collapse by itself:cautious: The plant is gorgeous though and in my opinion it's worth the risk:D I really love plants that grow fast, because taking care of them is never boring. I'm glad that my roses grow quite quickly too.

Reaction score
You're very lucky then :) Because... can you believe this climber do well even without enough light? That's why is perfect for north walls, so if it gets enough sun, I'm guessing this climber would grow like mold in a really wet and rainy place :D By the way, I also like fast growers, I'm not very good at the waiting game :p

Ask a Question