Looking for a flowering vine to plant around porch?

Reaction score
I wanted to find a flowering vine, preferably a hardy one that can withstand Mississippi heat/weather, that can climb the posts of my porch? I've thought of moon flowers and morning glories but I've never had any experience with these and not sure how they will do? Would these be a good choice or are there any others?

http://bedbugsremovalguide.com/bed-bug-bites.html

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
what is a luffa vine is that like the loofah that grows .I used passion flower but gosh it got out of control fast here in VA .pretty flower though

Attachments

• waterfall 030.JPG
    waterfall 030.JPG
    244.2 KB · Views: 604
  • waterfall 031.JPG
    waterfall 031.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 519
  • lily passion 2011 049.JPG
    lily passion 2011 049.JPG
    227.6 KB · Views: 591
Reaction score
I think morning glories would do just fine. They are very hearty, at least the variety that I have! Clematis are also very beautiful.

Reaction score
I love morning glories, so those would be my choice.

morning%20glory.jpg

I think that even when they're not in season and blooming flours, the vine itself is still pretty. I've never had any issues growing them either. They stand the heat here in Southern Illinois, so hopefully they'd do okay in Mississippi, too.

Reaction score
What about passion fruit vines? They have beautiful flowers and you get the added bonus of fruit. There's many different kinds of passion fruit, some can withstand the cold better than others, each species flowers look different and the fruit will look and taste different. So you might want to do a bit of research on them and see what kind would best suit you, if you do choose to get passion fruit.

Tam

Reaction score
I wanted to find a flowering vine, preferably a hardy one that can withstand Mississippi heat/weather, that can climb the posts of my porch? I've thought of moon flowers and morning glories but I've never had any experience with these and not sure how they will do? Would these be a good choice or are there any others?

http://bedbugsremovalguide.com/bed-bug-bites.html

The black eyed susan vine is beautiful. In my picture the orange and yellow flowers with the dark centers are what they look like and they climb. I have a trellis on my porch that they climbed all over. I have them in a container on my porch. They need at least 6 hours of full sun a day.

Jed

Reaction score
Hops may not be quite the flowering plant but they do have catkins that smell nice. The female is the one to plant and it grows vigorously from early summer till late fall when it dies back, in which case you can cut it back right to grown level. So you have shade for summer and sun on your porch for winter. Hops I believe can grow in Mississippi but I'm unsure of your growing season.

4482025750_968dc9795a_o.jpg

Reaction score
Hops may not be quite the flowering plant but they do have catkins that smell nice. The female is the one to plant and it grows vigorously from early summer till late fall when it dies back, in which case you can cut it back right to grown level. So you have shade for summer and sun on your porch for winter. Hops I believe can grow in Mississippi but I'm unsure of your growing season.

4482025750_968dc9795a_o.jpg
Jed do you know if the hops will make a mess? do they flower and drop their flowers? If you don't pick the hops will they drop them making a mess? I am looking for something different to grow on my arbor.

Reaction score
I like the idea of either morning glories or the black eyed susan vine. They are beautiful plants that are easy to grow. My mom had a black eyed susan vine draped around the entry to her home, in full sun, and it was a very pretty sight. I think morning glories can take less light and still do well.

Reaction score
I like the idea of either morning glories or the black eyed susan vine. They are beautiful plants that are easy to grow. My mom had a black eyed susan vine draped around the entry to her home, in full sun, and it was a very pretty sight. I think morning glories can take less light and still do well.
How long will the black eyed susan vines grow? My arbor is about 8' off the ground so the vine will have to grow to at least 20' or so to get coverage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I grew a cardinal flower vine last year, It grew every bit of 30 ft with no special treatment
A little to much for my spot
It was easy to pull down after season

Reaction score
How long will the black eyed susan vines grow? My arbor is about 8' off the ground so the vine will have to grow to at least 20' or so to get coverage.

Well, it was established there when she moved in, around the entryway, but I did notice that she trained it to grow around the bottom of her house to her front bedroom window later, at least 12 ft. off the ground and it was a double sized window. She did that project in one spring just by guiding it with a few tacks in specific places and then over the window trim. It "attaches" to walls and trim quite well as I recall. In Florida, most things grow very fast in spring and summer and into the Fall. This vine will die back in Winter but comes back lush in the Spring. I loved it because I like black eyed susans and had no idea there was a vine that had blooms like that.

Jed

Reaction score
Jed do you know if the hops will make a mess? do they flower and drop their flowers? If you don't pick the hops will they drop them making a mess? I am looking for something different to grow on my arbor.
No, not at all. What happens is the plant dies back with the hops attached pretty much. They only have pollen in the flowers/catkins. No fruit. It does die back to the ground but you can cut the vines and dispose of them that way or use the hops for beer or hop pillows.
You can grow them in large pots which would help keep them from spreading after many years of growing. They are easy to grub out.
You need to get the female crown or root cutting. From this you will always have a plant true to its original that produces the hop.
There's plenty of videos out there if you type in Growing Hops.:)

Ask a Question