Looking for greengage

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am looking to buy some greengage (sp?) Seeds online. I've been looking for years here and can't find the trees. I had them during my childhood and looking to grow some. Anyone know a trustworthy place online to buy the seeds?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I probably should have put this in the tree or fruit section. But no one I ask knows what I am talking about, no one has heard of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I probably should have put this in the tree or fruit section. But no one I ask knows what I am talking about, no one has heard of them.
Are you referring to the small green oval shaped plums. If so, greengage is a type of plum. There are quite a few varieties of greengage plums.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Are you referring to the small green oval shaped plums. If so, greengage is a type of plum. There are quite a few varieties of greengage plums.
Yes they are a type of plum. Impossible to find here though. The ones I remember had so much sugar in them it would harden if the fruit was poked with a hole. They would literally drip sugar juice. Eventually they would get kind of purple green when over ripe. That's all I remember.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I guess regular plums get that hard sugar too but the ones I have growing are not even close to the sweetness of the greengage from what I remember.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes they are a type of plum. Impossible to find here though. The ones I remember had so much sugar in them it would harden if the fruit was poked with a hole. They would literally drip sugar juice. Eventually they would get kind of purple green when over ripe. That's all I remember.
I think if you google raintree nursery you will probably find what you are looking for.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I think if you google raintree nursery you will probably find what you are looking for.
Thank you, the bavay ones look alot like it. I remember them having a kind of dusted look like those ones. They are sold out of that one but at least I know. Thank you Chuck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you, the bavay ones look alot like it. I remember them having a kind of dusted look like those ones. They are sold out of that one but at least I know. Thank you Chuck.
Down here in Texas, Bob Wells Nursery has them in stock for $39.95.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You mean the growing zones? It says usad 5-9 but I have no idea if that is compatible with where I am.
No, I meant the actual type of plum. It happens that all of these "gage" plum trees originated in Europe. The hardiness zones for the US is the same as it is in Canada except Canada's also has "rainfall, frost free days and other variables" according to google. Yours is much more informative than ours.

Ask a Question