Live Oak

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here is what lies a few inches below surface.
Lots of these runners.
20170311_171030.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I have been reading this thread and have no idea what a Texas Live Oak is. Would one of you kind people give me a botanical name please so I can go and read up on it? :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have been reading this thread and have no idea what a Texas Live Oak is. Would one of you kind people give me a botanical name please so I can go and read up on it? :)
The best answer I can come up with is Quercus fusiformis. In the research I have done it seems that Quercus fusiformis and Quercus virginiana are very closely related and from what I have read both can sprout from the roots but it is more of a rarity in the Q v. I have many oak trees on my property in the Texas Hill Country and at least three of them are Q v. They are MUCH taller than the others although the trunk diameter is basically the same ranging from 3 feet to a little over 5 feet. These trees do not form sprouts from the roots. On the other hand the neither do the VERY large but shorter Q f trees. On my property it seems that the root sprouting only happens on smaller to midsize trees. I think this is because of the lack of sunlight over a much larger area due to the larger trees canopies. I don't think anyone really knows for sure why some trees sprout from the roots and others don't. I think my reasoning is close to if not the complete truth of the matter though. Here's why. ALL of my huge trees stand alone with no other oak trees under the canopy. Then about 100 meters away is another HUGE tree. I have 8 altogether and they are all gigantic. But between them are only midsize trees, about 8"-1 ft diameter and of the midsize trees about 1/4 have saplings underneath. I hope I didn't get you as confused as I am.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The best answer I can come up with is Quercus fusiformis. In the research I have done it seems that Quercus fusiformis and Quercus virginiana are very closely related and from what I have read both can sprout from the roots but it is more of a rarity in the Q v. I have many oak trees on my property in the Texas Hill Country and at least three of them are Q v. They are MUCH taller than the others although the trunk diameter is basically the same ranging from 3 feet to a little over 5 feet. These trees do not form sprouts from the roots. On the other hand the neither do the VERY large but shorter Q f trees. On my property it seems that the root sprouting only happens on smaller to midsize trees. I think this is because of the lack of sunlight over a much larger area due to the larger trees canopies. I don't think anyone really knows for sure why some trees sprout from the roots and others don't. I think my reasoning is close to if not the complete truth of the matter though. Here's why. ALL of my huge trees stand alone with no other oak trees under the canopy. Then about 100 meters away is another HUGE tree. I have 8 altogether and they are all gigantic. But between them are only midsize trees, about 8"-1 ft diameter and of the midsize trees about 1/4 have saplings underneath. I hope I didn't get you as confused as I am.
That's a good explanation.

A couple years ago I did a guided tour thru a local arboretum and I vaguely remember the guide mentioning a smaller version of the Southern Live Oak (Quercus virginiana), but I didn't really get it; I'm now thinking of going back there with this new information...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
20160417_124755.jpg
20160417_123541.jpg
That's a good explanation.

A couple years ago I did a guided tour thru a local arboretum and I vaguely remember the guide mentioning a smaller version of the Southern Live Oak (Quercus virginiana), but I didn't really get it; I'm now thinking of going back there with this new information...
Toy guys are educating me here. I know there are several types of live oak, I just know nothing about them. I have a few larger ones around back.

And then there are several of these types around the area. These are in a garden about 30 minutes from me

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the information @Chuck and no you didn't confuse me. I can go and have a read now. :)

As with most oaks they are quite majestic, stunning trees when mature.

Ask a Question