Swiss Cheese, It's still alive!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all!

I made a post in September about a Swiss Cheese vine/Pilodendron. I have since repotted it using a mix of Orchid mix and regular plant soil with some stones in the bottom.
The post >>> https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/swiss-cheese-vine.12594/#post-117341

I think it is doing well it's had a decent amount of growth. I've had to cut it back a few times because one of my cats will eat it if he can reach it. I gave a few snips to my mother and sister in laws :) I should be able to share with anyone interested in the spring. Sadly it's too cold to mail right now.

One thing i'm worried about is that some of the new growth turns brown. I'm hoping it's just because of the heat, the shelf is very close to a radiator. I don't really have anywhere else to put it right now. Most of my furniture is vintage and low to the ground and this needs dangle room, plus two of my cats are jerks.

I just wanted to say thinks for all the help I was given on my previous post. I have gotten a new PC since my last post and with the holidays I completely forgot! I had to do a google search to find the website again LOL Now that xmas is over and there is over a foot of snow outside I am in the winter blues plant obsession mode. I've had some new additions form the clearance rack I'll have to post about soon. One lovely one had no tag and another Pothos variety was labeled House Plant :p

- Jen

26855553_10155117940376053_1629335132_n (1).jpg

26855108_10155117940556053_1773533303_o (1).jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The leaves need a bit of cleaning with distilled water or water from your purifier. The new shoots seem to be very happy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The leaves need a bit of cleaning with distilled water or water from your purifier. The new shoots seem to be very happy.

Everything in this room needs a good dusting!;):LOL:

Would tap water hurt?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I am no purist! Better than not cleaned. Don't you agree? They will have to adapt. One thing for sure - all plants want to live.. It's we who kill them.. :LOL:. Well, especially me! I have so many .. that I don't even know where they have gone!:LOL::cry:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If I were you, I would layer some of the new shoots.. I love messing about with plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am no purist! Better than not cleaned. Don't you agree? They will have to adapt. One thing for sure - all plants want to live.. It's we who kill them.. :LOL:. Well, especially me! I have so many .. that I don't even know where they have gone!:LOL::cry:

Cleaning shall be tomorrow's task! I'm not sure what Layering means? Just pot them up? I have a few in water but I think I need to cut some more. I'd like the plant to fill out better but I'm afraid to cut too much and that i'm not cutting in the right places.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
For house plants in winter, best is not to overwater. Touch the surface and see if it is very dry. You could go to youtube to see how to take care of this plant proprietary. I never knew that bromeliad should be water via the urn holding the stem until I watch videos in youtube. :eek::D

Layering is just scraping a bit of underskin of a stem near a leaf node and bury it stem in soil. It will root itself into the moist and free-draining soil and you will have a new plant, hopefully. At least, you won't kill the plant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
For house plants in winter, best is not to overwater. Touch the surface and see if it is very dry. You could go to youtube to see how to take care of this plant proprietary. I never knew that bromeliad should be water via the urn holding the stem until I watch videos in youtube. :eek::D

Layering is just scraping a bit of underskin of a stem near a leaf node and bury it stem in soil. It will root itself into the moist and free-draining soil and you will have a new plant, hopefully. At least, you won't kill the plant.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that next time I snip it. For the ones I had already cut I stuck them in a small pot for now and most are doing well :)

Ask a Question