Little green grasshoppers: good or bad?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was going to post this in pest and diseases, but decided to put it here first. I've got these pretty, little green grasshoppers all over my garden. They don't seem to be doing any damage, but I wasn't sure. Are they helpful or do they eat plants at night when I can't see them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You are on a different continent, so things may be different, but...
Grasshoppers go through the stages that all insects do, except the larval stage looks like a small grasshopper to the untrained eye, not a wriggly grub like most larvae, so my guess is they will grow up into grasshoppers, which are plant eaters. However, on the plus side, I have never known anyone suffer serious damage from grasshoppers, and an awful lot of those little ones will become something else's dinner before they are very much older anyway, so enjoy them while you can.
Of course someone may come along and tell us it just ain't like that in Georgia.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't know of any grasshopper, locust or katydid that is not harmful in any and every form. I had those little green grasshopper looking things in my garden. Mine are not juvenile grasshoppers, they are juvenile katydids. They attack the blooms and newly formed leaves on my okra, doing quite a bit of damage before I figured out what was going on. Spinosad takes care of them very well. If you can take a closeup picture of one of them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I guess the European grasshoppers don't come in such quantity. They are the sort of thing I would have pointed out to the kids, a bit special.

Ask a Question