Chinese evergreen with very little roots

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8b : 15 to 20 (F)
Country
United States
Hey all!

I've had this Chinese Evergreen for about 7-8 months now and it hasn't grown much. I don't think it's every grown more than the 4 leaves it has and it seems like one is always dying and being replaced.

I recently moved from California to Texas, and the pot broke. Upon repotting, I found that the roots are really stunted (if that's the right word). There were a couple thick ones coming off the more ball like structure but that ball was really small. It's even sitting a bit crooked in the new pot but I'm not sure if that's because of how I've potted it or because it's going through something.

Any ideas? I didn't think to get a picture of the roots when I had it out but I can if that's necessary.

Attachments

• PXL_20210419_153322220.jpg
    PXL_20210419_153322220.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 63
  • PXL_20210419_231349839.jpg
    PXL_20210419_231349839.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 55
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have a bushel of different varieties of aglaonema. Became obsessed. Aglaonema I have found often come with fewer roots than expected. Guess it’s the sellers in a rush to get them to market. Since my experience with house plants in general is they like to be a little pot bound I would size down your container and plant it deeper. At each node that is buried a root will eventually form making a stronger plant. By keeping your plant in a smaller pot you will also encourage new plants popping up at the base making for a fuller pot.

So far my experience with your variety of aglaonema, the plants have tended to be smaller in size than other varieties. Getting the watering correct can be challenging. Let the top inch dry and only moisten the soil, don’t saturated it. Incorrect watering is the major cause of bottom leaf yellowing and root rot. This plant is not forgiving of overwatering in my humble opinion.

Good luck, and I am sure your little beauty will be putting on new growth in no time.

Ask a Question