"Bless your little pea-pickin' heart"

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Folks may remember Tennesse Ernie Ford who made that saying popular back in the day.

It's that time of year in the South of the USA where field peas flourish. They provide great tasting food when just about everything else in the garden except okra has given up to the heat. Not only do they taste great, but they are also great for your soil especially in summer providing a cover against weeds and fixing nitrogen in your soil.

I grew two kinds of peas this year. 1) the old fashioned black eye which Thomas Jefferson grew in the 1770’s. Originating in Africa, they are easy to grow and are very popular across the southern USA, Indeed, an ancient crop.

peas old fashioned.JPG

The second type was/is the pinkeye purple hull. This variety's hulls are purple and its peas are green with pinkeyes when freshly picked turning cream with dark maroon when dried. IMO it is by far the best tasting of all the varieties of peas one can grow. They are just great fresh, canned, or frozen. So far, I've picked and processed about 50 gallons of pink eyes and will probably leave the rest of them to reseed the area and grow all summer as a cover crop. I love these peas...

pinkeye  2.JPG

After shelling they look like this:

pinkeye.JPG

Very different taste profile than the black eye but both are excellent table fare.

Ask a Question