Hardiness Zone
3a/3b
Country
Canada
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
hi,
I'm a new gardener and im not sure If this is a tree or bush. This tree / bush needs serious love as its been neglected for years.
In the spring I spend 3 hours cutting out hundreds of sucker branches that were growing directly out of the ground. It currently only blooms at the very top and I think your suppose to prune or cut them as soon as they stop blooming, should I just take a few feet right off the top? I'd like it to have a shape as well as blooms all over. How do I know what and where to prune??
Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Lilacs have a personality of their own. I have learned to not touch them. My experience with them has been iffy. Pruning usually leads to not blooming at all for several years. Generally tidy up a few canes and let them do their thing. Even the dark green vegetation is attractive even without blooms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a/3b
Country
Canada
Lilacs have a personality of their own. I have learned to not touch them. My experience with them has been iffy. Pruning usually leads to not blooming at all for several years. Generally tidy up a few canes and let them do their thing. Even the dark green vegetation is attractive even without blooms.
Thank you :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I agree with @Durgan . Taking the suckers out was good. the only other pruning I will do for them, if they have a wayward branch that is reaching for God (straight up) rather that following the natural look of the shrub, I will nick that one. I have three varieties, in general they are not touched. Actually one of them is a lilac tree, its blooming today. Has a story to it, used to be somewhere else on the property, then a limb from another three fell on it, split the main truck in two. I pull it together, wrapped it with plant bandage, and transplanted it. Today the part that is split grew together, and its happy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a/3b
Country
Canada
I agree with @Durgan . Taking the suckers out was good. the only other pruning I will do for them, if they have a wayward branch that is reaching for God (straight up) rather that following the natural look of the shrub, I will nick that one. I have three varieties, in general they are not touched. Actually one of them is a lilac tree, its blooming today. Has a story to it, used to be somewhere else on the property, then a limb from another three fell on it, split the main truck in two. I pull it together, wrapped it with plant bandage, and transplanted it. Today the part that is split grew together, and its happy.
Wow that's amazing about your lilac , looks like you have the magic touch :)

Ask a Question