When can I plant forsythia, magnolia, and lilac when weather is erratic?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone. I'm new to this thread and new to gardening / landscaping, so please bear with me. :)

Last weekend I bought 3 forsythia, a very small magnolia tree (maybe just over 1 foot tall), and a lilac bush (the same size). The weather had been getting warm (high 50's to low/mid 60's) and in my area (CT) you can only find forsythia in early spring, so I had to buy them now.

I had a really overgrown area to clear, so I didn't have time to plant them last weekend, but now the weather is changing. Yesterday was 70 degrees, today is supposed to be 56 (dropping to 32 at night). Here is the forecast below. Since it's going to be dropping low at night for awhile, should I wait to plant or just I just plant them now and then cover them to protect them from the cold? I could bring them into my basement if I don't plant them, but then they won't be getting sun. If I wait to plant, I don't know what to do with them in the meantime. Thank you for your advice! The weather has been really crazy here this year. Much more erratic than normal.
weather.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just realized I probably posted this question in the wrong place, so I reposted it in "Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges" but I can't figure out how to delete the post here. Can anyone help me?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oops, just deleted the wrong duplicate, i'll move this one :)

Ask a Question