Severe pruning of lilacs?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/4b (Canadian Zone)
Country
Canada
Hey folks, in my ongoing quest to revamp the garden of my recently moved-into home, I have determined that at least 2 (possibly 4) lilacs are in desperate need of a severe pruning - as in right to the ground. Since it's May and the plants are just about to bloom, should i wait until next March to do this or can I go at it in June after flowers fade? In at least two of these plants, there aren't even any buds in the lower half of the shrub... they are a mess... one of the trunks is over 7" and it'll take a chainsaw to get to it. I'm sure these things were never pruned.

Thoughts?

Merci!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/4b (Canadian Zone)
Country
Canada
Thanks for the reply... But I think these plants need more than 1/3 lopped off... From what I've read this morning, it seems like a "severe" amputation is required...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Since there are no buds, I think you might just take a shear to it now. My mom has a lilac bush in the back yard, and my brother prune it when the blooms were gone. It has such amazing scent and I often clip a few to bring that gorgeous flowers and scent inside :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/4b (Canadian Zone)
Country
Canada
I just read your article, Pat, and one of the two options is to give it a complete overhaul... this is what i think I need to do due to the condition of some of my lilacs. Question is, do I have to wait til next March or can I take chainsaw to it after the flowers fade in June (assuming it even flowers)?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/4b (Canadian Zone)
Country
Canada
Since there are no buds, I think you might just take a shear to it now. My mom has a lilac bush in the back yard, and my brother prune it when the blooms were gone. It has such amazing scent and I often clip a few to bring that gorgeous flowers and scent inside :)

It has buds, just not on the lower half.. classic case of light not getting down to the lower reaches of the plant... plus dozens of spindly shoots

Ask a Question