Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That was good thanks roadrunner.
There are different soils here in Australia. One famous example is the need for micronutrients in the southeast of this state. When they added tiny amounts of trace elements the soil was massively improved.
Synthetic fertilizers have caused the oversupply of phosphates - so how is that not a build-up?
No doubt a heavy use of synthetic fertilizers can result in an oversupply of certain compounds; however, I think the thrust of his point was that it will not result in a build up in Sodium chloride, i.e. salt, as in table salt.

But definitely, too much fertilizer, regardless if it's synthetic or natural is a bad thing. It's why I'm not a fan of Organic Farming vs. Regenerative Farming, because Organic farms can have soils that are just as susceptible of runoff during moderate to heavy rains, so those nutrients have to go somewhere and it usually makes it to a water source.

Here's a couple of funny examples below of too much natural fertilizers. It's not that this stuff is bad, it's perfectly natural, but the way we manage it has to change.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I just remember watching a video about a huge composting facility and they speak to the issue of controlling runoff. Kind of interesting, but it's also important to do to protect water sources from perfectly natural ingredients.

Go to the 15:50-minute point of the video

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
At least home gardeners aren't adding to that problem.
The ability to address deficiencies quickly is one factor definitely in favor of use of synthetics. If you observe deficiency symptoms an application of the appropriate nutrient gets it fixed fast. After that if there is something in cultivation practices that is causing an issue you can change if possible. Sometimes it's just a regular issue with the soil you work with.
I have worked with some sportsfield managers that work this system like you wouldn't believe. Soil and tissue testing 3-4 times a year, weekly applications of liquids, anything to keep them looking picture-perfect.

You're welcome Tetters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you are going to use artificial fertilizers, you should know what elements it contains. The basic cheap bag of 10-10-10 granular fertilizer only contains N-P-K. There is no calcium, magnesium or micronutrients. A water soluble fertilizer like Miracle grow does not contain calcium or magnesium. Most tap water already contains enough of that so they aren't really formulated for that. Another brand of water soluble fertilizer may be missing sulfur.

Even though I use both kinds of fertilizers (artificial and organic), I still think organic fertilizers are better because they contain micronutrients and also carbon which you wont find in artificial fertilizers. Carbon is also important in soil structure.

You should also know what the organic fertilizer is doing to your soil too. Animal manure for example will build up phosphorus in the soil and it doesn't like to leech out of it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The world has been continuously stalling a starvation crisis for years, and artificial fertilisers played a large part in that. They must have saved millions of lives. We have now developed new, high yield cultivars of staples and are developing new approaches to land management. Artificial fertilizers played a huge part in our global development and survival, people are not going to let go of them easily.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Here's a couple of funny examples below of too much natural fertilizers. It's not that this stuff is bad, it's perfectly natural, but the way we manage it has to change.
The management of pig manure is a question of keeping livestock in unnatural densities. It's more related to feedlots and caged animals then to organic fertilizers. The two main principals of 'regen ag.' are water management and 'sequence grazing'. If you follow 'regen ag.' this runoff problem doesn't occur.

Because that is a bit off topic, I would respond with a thought about the relative value of homemade compost versus a packet of NPK.
I take about 5 days a month to build, turn and create living compost. I have to pile up weeds and clippings and add layers of straw and manure then turn the whole heap twice. By comparison a NPK fertilizer person can walk into the gardening section of a supermarket and pick up a nice clean packet, pop it into a trolley. Say 5 minutes a month.
Do you really think the NPK is the equivalent of homemade compost?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
The ability to address deficiencies quickly is one factor definitely in favor of use of synthetics.
If you keep a lot of indoor pots full of very friendly looking green, flowering plants I can see that clean effective granular fertilizer is the way to go.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Artificial fertilizers played a huge part in our global development and survival, people are not going to let go of them easily.
Unfortunately, these massive monocultures also use glyphosate, toxic inoculants, regular insecticide sprays and GMO's. Collectively they cause auto-immune disease and that will bankrupt nations if we don't stop.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Works for gardens outside too.
Yep, the results are essentially the same. Lots of veggies, flowers, beautiful lawns, lush shrubbery. And more time to do other things in the garden.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
You are playing with your health by using NPK fertilizers. It is genuinely industrial waste. Yes, it is minerals and salts. But it's been modified with hydrochloric acid to make it soluble.
Does it kill microbes? According to Dr. Christine Jones if you pull a plant out of the ground and there's lots of soil stuck to the roots then this shows that microbes are feeding on the juicy sucrose sap that the plant exudes through its roots. If the plant roots are bare then there is no sap, no microbes. So go and pull a plant or weed out of one of your actively growing beds.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Works for gardens outside too.
Yep, the results are essentially the same. Lots of veggies, flowers, beautiful lawns, lush shrubbery. And more time to do other things in the garden.
Organic fertilizers come in granular form.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
... According to Dr. Christine Jones if you pull a plant out of the ground and there's lots of soil stuck to the roots then this shows that microbes are feeding on the juicy sucrose sap that the plant exudes through its roots. If the plant roots are bare then there is no sap, no microbes. So go and pull a plant or weed out of one of your actively growing beds.
Interesting. Never heard that before. However, I have certainly observed it thousands of times. My root crops are laden with soil stuck to the roots. Carrots, turnips, beets, radish, etc. all come out with "gobs" of soil attached. It would be interesting to grow something with the artificial fertilizers and see what happens (but I'm not really that interested, LOL).

Some folks get off seeing green artificially created lawns and sportsfields...not me, I honestly could care less.

I garden for taste and nutrition and natural is the way to go for that without any doubt whatsoever!!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
To follow-up on the shrewd observation by Dr. Christine Jones as stated by @redback , I just sacrificed some growing root veggies to see how much root soil attached to beets, carrots, turnips, and radish. This is completely typical and also random.

I challenge the artificial fertilizer growers to do the same and post pictures. I'm interested to see the results. Post 'em up!

root crops 2024.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Australia
It would be interesting to grow something with the artificial fertilizers and see what happens (but I'm not really that interested, LOL).
I suspect a lot of people here are 'hybrids' in that they start organically and spread compost etc. in the organic way but then correct any deficiencies with NPK.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I challenge the artificial fertilizer growers to do the same and post pictures. I'm interested to see the results. Post 'em up!
Love it. That is the 'rhizosheaths' Dr. Jones refers to. It will be interesting to see how many of the partial NPK users have got. Some might have the same since I suspect some only use NPK as correctional factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question