Geranium Plantlets on Spent Flower?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Today while caring for a two year old clearance rescued geranium I notice one of the spent flower heads had tiny leaves growing out of the top. The last seeds were harvested from the flowerhead and removing the spikes revealed what looked like a plantlet or a new set of leaves growing from the flower head. I left the stem on there and checked on it again and the leaves grew larger. Ive grew and seen thousands of blooms from geraniums and I've never seen this before, and as an expert with 15 years experience of growing plants I am stumped at whats happening. There's no visible growing point on the flower head and when the flower has finished blooming or the seeds ripened it falls off in the wind. This one stayed on and started growing leaves out of the top where the flowers were. Anyone else see this happen before?
20210801_194054.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @GeraldPond and welcome to the forums :) Yes, I've seen this before, and in particular on some Teasels growing here. It happens in my opinion during certain weather conditions. In our case, hot sun followed by lots of thunder and rain. The seeds don't get a chance to dry and drop and just start doing their ''thing'' where they are.
Nature is a fascinating subject/hobby

Ask a Question