Let the 2014 growing season begin!

Reaction score
It truly *IS* the start of the growing season: my Fava beans are sprouting! have been planting seeds here and there, but somehow it doesn't FEEL like the start of the gardening season until the seeds are sprouting!

To make things better some of the the Peonies are up, and the daffodils are blooming! Still, in my heart the real start of spring is when the seeds come up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My mother and sister wanted to plant some tomato and pepper plants this year, but I want to do a bit more than that. Any other easy vegetables to grow?

Reaction score
Potatoes! you can grow them right in a potato sack. Peas and beans are awfully easy too, but the peas need to get started while it's still cool out. They don't like hot weather. Beans on the other hand, love it hot.

If you've got enough space, zucchini, winter squash, pumpkins are very easy to grow.

Or you could plant wheat like I do :geek:

Nothing is really very hard, just plant what you like to eat. If you need more help than the seed packets have on them, there's the internet, and of course, this forum, where you can get help.

Reaction score
Sitting here drinking my coffee feeling quite lazy. It's 1:26 pm and I'm still in my robe, reading and posting in forums, so I am going to post here, now, that I am going to turn off the computer, get dressed, and get out in the garden. Next time I'm back here it better be to announce what I have accomplished today!

Reaction score
I notice that you never came back to report what you got done.......

I took yesterday off also. DD and her Boyfriend came for Easter, and we all went to church, and then we all ate candy and ham and other good things. So, yesterday I did almost nothing at all. For the sake of my ego I said that I was TIRED not that I was lazy! Though sometimes I wonder if they are not the same thing!

This morning I turned on the sprinklers, and there is a chance I will shop for vegetable plants. A local hardware store has a huge plant sale every spring, but I am not sure if they have received their plants, yet. If I get around to it I might go and see!

I find that I have a better success rate in my vegetable garden if I start with plants instead of seeds. It would be horribly expensive to buy potted corn to plant, but I think it is worth it to buy plants if you only need a few of them: peppers, melons, and other large plants come to mind!

Reaction score
Probably because I didn't hardly get anything done! Every time I stepped outside for days it would start raining. Last night I got a second planting of kale in, and today I'm putting in spinach, and a second patch of peas.

I can't imagine starting from plants. It would cost so much more. For 99 cents I can make at least 30 of my own tomato plants inside to plant outside after the last frost.

Also many things do best planted right in the ground as seeds, as they don't tolerate transplanting very well.

I have never heard of starting corn and transplanting it.. but my husband is dead set against growing corn, says it takes too much space and he can pick up plenty at the farm between work and home.

Nice for him, I won't eat that GMO corn. No corn on the cob for me this year either.

Ask a Question