Let the 2014 growing season begin!

Reaction score
:D Just got back in from planting my peas. The official start of the growing season outdoors for me. I'm in heaven! When I can get my hands in the dirt, all is right with the world. The next few days will be busy ones for me as I work to get in the stuff that is usually in by the end of March.

I hope we don't get blasted with hot weather right away. A nice, good, full spring season is what I am hoping for.

Have you been able to start your growing season outside yet? I'm in WI, USA. :)

Reaction score
You are further north than I am in CT and I'm not close to planting. It is getting a bit warmer during the days but the nights still have quite a chill. Slowly but surely it is turning around.

Reaction score
Tomorrow we are expected to hit the 70's in Iowa so we are starting late. I think i might start on peas, lettuce, swiss chard and kale. I think it takes a while to warm up here so I will start with seeds that can handle the chilly weather.

Reaction score
I've planted potatoes, cucumbers and tomatoes at my in laws house. We are working on onions, lettuce and carrots next. We will have a variety this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Unfortunately, I caught a severe cold and I have to sit at home:( Also, it's rather cold outside and it's raining.
I can't work in my garden:cry: It really frustrates me!
I don't know what would I do if I didn't have my miniature roses. I've just watered them. The yellow one produced two flower buds:love:

Reaction score
I'm so sorry Claudine, I hope you recover fast. I know what you mean about being frustrated about not being able to work in the garden. I have been frustrated since October!

Nice to have your miniature roses to help you out when you aren't feeling well.

I'm getting more of my cold weather crops in today as soon as I finish my coffee. I was taught years ago (victory garden show) that peas should always be put in as soon as you can get in the ground. It has always worked for me.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Get well soon @claudine I hate colds.

Bit behind with crops due to moving, but got some heritage seeds sown on the window sill, Bridgwater beans, 2 old varieties of peas, Champion of England and Ne Plus Ultra (both tall varieties) And a Tomato that we've been helping to bring back from the edge of oblivion, the Manx Marvel.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds interesting @zigs - what kind of tomato is it? Judging by the name I'm imagining some sort of tomato superhero :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Meowmie, Zigs, thank you!:) Unfortunately, I'm still sick and I'm pretty sure I have a fever. I decided to ignore it and I went for a very short walk today. It wasn't the best idea, but I couldn't resist the temptation:p My garden looks horrible! There are so many things to do:confused:

Reaction score
I hate to do it, but I'm taking a day off from the garden. I've been totally ignoring everything inside the house and it's showing. It's also a bit cooler today. Tomorrow I should be able to finish up getting the cool weather crops in

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds interesting @zigs - what kind of tomato is it? Judging by the name I'm imagining some sort of tomato superhero :D

You would think so by the name :D

We weren't sure what we had at first, only had a few seeds to work with. Some of the team grew it outside and some in the greenhouse. Seems it was developed to be an outside Tom that would put up with the weather on the Isle of Man. Didn't do well in the Greenhouse,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I hope it grows well for you this year - you'll have to keep us updated :)

Reaction score
Sounds exciting Zigs! I will have some mystery plants this year. I have 3 things that the markings on the tag got washed off when I watered them. And it was permanent marker!

I spent the day repotting my seedlings, and making more paper pots to start more seedlings tomorrow.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
First tomato germinated, also got peas and beans coming up :)

Potted up the rose that I got for my Girlfriend too :)

Reaction score
We have had a few warm days in Vancouver and it looks like spring but it is still too early to plant here. We often get one last cold snap before the end of April and heavy wet snow on the seedlings is never a good thing. The garden is getting dug over, weeds are being pulled, and rocks and roots are being removed in preparation. It will still be a few more weeks here but the garden will be ready when the time comes.

Ask a Question