Lemon verbena

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone here successfully wintered over lemon verbena year to year?
Looking for a few pointers, especially temps and where to keep it at in mid Wisconsin.
Have a few plants that wintered over once but it died the next winter. So I’m not doing something right.
Thank you

Reaction score
Country
Australia
It's a perennial in South Australia. Just about pruned back to nothing in autumn and grows again from the trunk. Mine has grown into a five-foot-high tree after twenty years. You would probably need to have it in a big pot and move it indoors over winter. The best citrus smell of all. Welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lemon verbena is a tender perennial, hardy to about 22°F. If you want to keep the plant over Winter you will need to bring it indoors for the Winter. Overwinter inside in a dark, spot or garage that doesn't get above 55°F, or in a well-protected area outside, such as a shed, covered porch, or cold frame. Wait until there are no leaves before bringing them indoors.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ah! music to my ears for your responses! I swear the smell of the leaves is simply wonderful. almost like catnip for a cat lol. Ever since I got ahold of one plant I've tried my hardest to keep them going year to year.

The temps I think are where I'm getting hung up.

First time I had a LV plant I didn't know much about it and tried to keep it going over the winter. actually made it in a basement mini greeenhouse and revived in the spring.
I did that again with the last plant I had, maybe a 2-3 year old one and it didn't make it.
I'm guessing the temps where too warm for it, this time...

So given that 22°F lower limit, are you saying that at no time should the plant be in an area less that 22 during the entire winter? I have an uninsulated garage and also a 3 season porch. but aside from that it's either inside the house or basement which will always be above low to mid 60's in a day. Given the wild winters we have had lately, sometimes the temps can get to -10-15F outside, which I'm guessing would still put the uninsulated areas maybe 15F warmer since it's enclosed, so around 0.

Could either of you offer a bit more in depth rundown on how you would suggest working with this scenario?

Thank you

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Ah! music to my ears for your responses! I swear the smell of the leaves is simply wonderful. almost like catnip for a cat lol. Ever since I got ahold of one plant I've tried my hardest to keep them going year to year.

The temps I think are where I'm getting hung up.

First time I had a LV plant I didn't know much about it and tried to keep it going over the winter. actually made it in a basement mini greeenhouse and revived in the spring.
I did that again with the last plant I had, maybe a 2-3 year old one and it didn't make it.
I'm guessing the temps where too warm for it, this time...

So given that 22°F lower limit, are you saying that at no time should the plant be in an area less that 22 during the entire winter? I have an uninsulated garage and also a 3 season porch. but aside from that it's either inside the house or basement which will always be above low to mid 60's in a day. Given the wild winters we have had lately, sometimes the temps can get to -10-15F outside, which I'm guessing would still put the uninsulated areas maybe 15F warmer since it's enclosed, so around 0.

Could either of you offer a bit more in depth rundown on how you would suggest working with this scenario?

Thank you

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I live in an area of no frosts and a maritime influence, and my LV tree is planted outside on the sunny north facing garden. The temps would vary between 32- and 104-degrees Fahrenheit. I wouldn't worry so much about the upper temps but your lower temps are worrying. The LV will take full sun. You could try a transparent plastic tree guard surround by a sunny window inside during winter. It's otherwise forgiving and pruning hard or not at all will not kill it. It needs good soil but is not particularly hungry. Once it is established you water it when needed - droopy leaves.
I use the leaves in tea and a Christmas special non-alcohol cocktail with pineapple and other citrus juices.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If the plant is left outside until mid 30s so the leaves fall off, will bringing indoors in temps above 55 bring it out of hibernation?
Or are you thinking that a type of tree guard or wrap, something with a bit of insulation would keep it just within the hibernation temps when kept in a covered or enclosed area like a garage?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hibernation? I have leaves on mine now, outside, in mid-winter. If you prune it back hard it will shoot again in Spring, and once you are sure the worst frosts are over (probably April in Wisconsin) take it outside in a sunny spot. The wrap is to keep the air and soil temperature above freezing and the sunny window spot (south facing) will help.
I can't say if it will tolerate temperatures below freezing because I am quoting from my experience, and you can use local references for that. If you are keeping it in the total dark over winter that could kill it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In a sudo term, yes hibernation. Or maybe dormancy period if that is a more applicable term.
Since I had the previous plant in a mini greenhouse it certainly wasn’t without light, but it obviously didn’t like something in that setup.
I have searched a bit on wintering these plants and the majority of the articles all kind of point out the obvious of low temp limits. But I haven’t come across much with a local/practical approach on how someone in this region has accomplished it.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Okay then all I can suggest is a heat mat. It is an electrical heater that sits under the plant but usually used on seedling trays.

Ask a Question