Lemon Tree Problem

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello,
I started my lemon tree from seeds I got from a grocery store lemon about a year ago now. It is getting these brown spots on the leaves and I don't know what to do to stop it from progressing. I live outside of Toronto, Canada, so I don't think it is sun burn.

However, when it is in the sun, it spreads much faster than if I had it in the shade.
I really don't want to lose this plant. I have put in a lot of work so any help would be appreciated.
I just bought a citrus specific fertilizer last week and put it in for the first time this morning.

I have looked at diseases pertaining to lemon trees and have not found anything close to what I have. If any more information is needed I will fill it in the best I can.

Thank you in advance for your time!

Kyle

Attachments

• 20230630_123938.jpg
    20230630_123938.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230630_123932.jpg
    20230630_123932.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230628_234658.jpg
    20230628_234658.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IMO what you have going on is not a disease. I think it is a water issue called oedema. Browning leaf tips and leaf margins are a sign of watering too often. The big lumps on the leaf in picture and the small bumps on the other pictures lead me to think its is oedema. Oedema is not a disease it is a disorder where the roots take up more water than the leaves can handle so the leaf makes these small bumps in order for the plants transpiration to be more effective. You will have a fungal problem if you keep this watering too often regimen and it is called root rot, the number one cause of death for potted plants.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
IMO what you have going on is not a disease. I think it is a water issue called oedema. Browning leaf tips and leaf margins are a sign of watering too often. The big lumps on the leaf in picture and the small bumps on the other pictures lead me to think its is oedema. Oedema is not a disease it is a disorder where the roots take up more water than the leaves can handle so the leaf makes these small bumps in order for the plants transpiration to be more effective. You will have a fungal problem if you keep this watering too often regimen and it is called root rot, the number one cause of death for potted plants.
Yes. This problem did start after we had an unexpected thunderstorm overnight and it got much more water than I thought It needed. So I should hold off on watering it for quite some time? Or just use a water meter beforehand? What is the rule of thumb in dealing with this?

And will the leaves rid the colour once it dries out more or is this going to be a permanent scar to it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes. This problem did start after we had an unexpected thunderstorm overnight and it got much more water than I thought It needed. So I should hold off on watering it for quite some time? Or just use a water meter beforehand? What is the rule of thumb in dealing with this?

And will the leaves rid the colour once it dries out more or is this going to be a permanent scar to it?
Only water when the top 1-2 inches of soil is DRY. As long as you have good drainage in the container you cannot water too much so saturate the soil. Remember that citrus does not like continuous wet soil. It likes damp or moist soil. This is why you only water when the top 1-2 inches is DRY. Use your finger to determine if the soil is dry. I have NEVER seen ANY moisture meter that was accurate. The leaves that are brown will not resume their healthy prior state but the oedema will disappear in time.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Only water when the top 1-2 inches of soil is DRY. As long as you have good drainage in the container you cannot water too much so saturate the soil. Remember that citrus does not like continuous wet soil. It likes damp or moist soil. This is why you only water when the top 1-2 inches is DRY. Use your finger to determine if the soil is dry. I have NEVER seen ANY moisture meter that was accurate. The leaves that are brown will not resume their healthy prior state but the oedema will disappear in time.
Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The first problem has been fixed.
However, yesterday, I just noticed a small black spot on one leaf. I included a photo ( I hope you can see the spot I am talking about). It shows on both the top side and underneath of the leaf. Do you know what this is? And if so, how do I fix it? I can take a few more pictures if that will help.

Anyways, thanks again.

Attachments

• 20230720_115254.jpg
    20230720_115254.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 5

Ask a Question