lemon tree problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive been growing a lemon tree for a few years now, and its been doing really well, until this winter that is when It suddenly dropped all its leaves and I was worried it was dead.

As you can see in the pictures, its branches have started to turn brown and are dying, but there is new growth that is now about an inch long that has appeared in the last few days. This new growth seems to be growing pretty fast.

I just dont know what went wrong because it was very healthy with lots of nice green leaves, then suddenly its dying. I re-potted it with some new compost and its starting to pick up again. I only watered it when the soil was dry, and I used plant food as directed, always the same dosage and brand. It is in a pot and has always been on a north-west facing window sill, so i dont think lack of sun is the issue as its a recent problem.

Could i my watering/feeding routine be the problem? is it too cold on the window sill? the room is 23c, i know this as i keep tarantulas in the same room and its a constant temperature according to the thermometers.

I'll be sad to loose this tree as ive grown it from seed from some lemons i got from the super market.

Attachments

• P1050112.JPG
    P1050112.JPG
    218 KB · Views: 274
  • P1050113.JPG
    P1050113.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 279
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Matt sorry to here About the Lemon Fingers crossed for you and guessing a few maybe Causes.

Loss of leaves can be caused by draughts, too low or high temperatures in winter, coupled with too much water in winter. Citrus Plants also prefer a cool winter rest. With a minimum winter night temperature of not less than 10°C.

So maybe its a little worm where it is. You say that is where it has always been. but as the winter has been so mild could the room temperature of been higher than previse winters. Don't over water right now. just a little from the bottom once a the top feels dry to touch. once every 7-14 days. but as it has no leaves to support it will drink vary little.

Fingers Crossed It could still recover & one day you could be selling them back to the Supermarket!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IMO what went wrong was that you fertilized it too much and it got too wet at some time. Citrus doesn't need much food at all. With the fertilizer and water it simply tried to out grow itself. As you noticed the new growth, after repotting is good. Fertilize about once or twice a year at most, give it more sunlight if you can and keep it on the dry side of moist.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
This is the same thing that happened to our lemon tree planted by the side of the house. It is an American lemon which we bought in the nursery 2 years ago. It bore many fruits and was going great until one by one the branches would have withered leaves and later dry out. Just this morning my husband removed the tree itself because it is already dead. There's no explanation yet why the demise.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMO what went wrong was that you fertilized it too much and it got too wet at some time. Citrus doesn't need much food at all. With the fertilizer and water it simply tried to out grow itself. As you noticed the new growth, after repotting is good. Fertilize about once or twice a year at most, give it more sunlight if you can and keep it on the dry side of moist.

thanks for the advice. do think the tree will bounce back as im seeing new growth all ready? what should i do about the dying branches? should i trim them back? or leave them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
thanks for the advice. do think the tree will bounce back as im seeing new growth all ready? what should i do about the dying branches? should i trim them back? or leave them?
A dead branch will always be dead. Trim it off. The tree will come back bushier which is a good thing.

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum matt.

As a grower of every kind of citrus tree for many, many years - I have to say that - as there are a number of possible causes for lemon tree sudden leaf drop - its going to be a little difficult to say exactly what the problem is - particularly as - it could be due to any of the following

Low light levels
Exposure to direct sun indoors while the roots are cool
Under/over watering
Too much fertilizer - especially as lemon trees generally do best when lightly fertilized with a potassium rich fertilizer - once a year - preferably in early spring
Fluctuating temperatures
or
Poor air circulation

However that said and bearing in mind that - as lemon trees prefer to be warm in summer but cool in winter - and if grown inside - are generally best grown in a non heated conservatory with plenty of bright light - and one of the most common causes of sudden, total leaf drop in lemon trees when grown inside ( other than in a non heated conservatory ) is temperature fluctuation - I'm more inclined to think that this is very probably the most likely cause.

Particularly as not only do lemon trees not fair well in warm centrally heated environments where doors are constantly being opened and closed - but more importantly - window sills are not the best places for a lemon trees - for the simple reason - that although the room temperature may remain constant - the temperature on a window sill rarely ever does - as the temperature can fluctuate quite dramatically over a 24 hour period.

Which is why in order not to stress your tree any further - especially as the bark on your tree looks extremely healthy - it would in fact be way better to move your tree and ideally place it on a table near a window rather than actually put it on the sill itself - as doing the latter - would I think solve your problem.

Oh and I would just add - that as your tree currently has no foliage to protect the bark - and citrus bark is susceptible to sun damage - it would be best to avoid placing it in direct sunlight until it has a good covering of new foliage.

:oops: nearly forgot - yes I too would agree - you won't do any harm pruning off the damaged wood.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome to the forum matt.

As a grower of every kind of citrus tree for many, many years - I have to say that - as there are a number of possible causes for lemon tree sudden leaf drop - its going to be a little difficult to say exactly what the problem is - particularly as - it could be due to any of the following

Low light levels
Exposure to direct sun indoors while the roots are cool
Under/over watering
Too much fertilizer - especially as lemon trees generally do best when lightly fertilized with a potassium rich fertilizer - once a year - preferably in early spring
Fluctuating temperatures
or
Poor air circulation

However that said and bearing in mind that - as lemon trees prefer to be warm in summer but cool in winter - and if grown inside - are generally best grown in a non heated conservatory with plenty of bright light - and one of the most common causes of sudden, total leaf drop in lemon trees when grown inside ( other than in a non heated conservatory ) is temperature fluctuation - I'm more inclined to think that this is very probably the most likely cause.

Particularly as not only do lemon trees not fair well in warm centrally heated environments where doors are constantly being opened and closed - but more importantly - window sills are not the best places for a lemon trees - for the simple reason - that although the room temperature may remain constant - the temperature on a window sill rarely ever does - as the temperature can fluctuate quite dramatically over a 24 hour period.

Which is why in order not to stress your tree any further - especially as the bark on your tree looks extremely healthy - it would in fact be way better to move your tree and ideally place it on a table near a window rather than actually put it on the sill itself - as doing the latter - would I think solve your problem.

Oh and I would just add - that as your tree currently has no foliage to protect the bark - and citrus bark is susceptible to sun damage - it would be best to avoid placing it in direct sunlight until it has a good covering of new foliage.

:oops: nearly forgot - yes I too would agree - you won't do any harm pruning off the damaged wood.

thank you. that was very informative. Ive pruned off all the dead/dying branches and although it looks a little sad and bare now, im hoping it'll bounce back :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
So, in winter it is preferable to not water at all if the soil is already moistened, and wait until spring to add only a bit of fertilizer. I took note of that.

Can one do something about temperatures under 10°C in winter nights? Maybe covering the tree or something?

Thank you guys!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So, in winter it is preferable to not water at all if the soil is already moistened, and wait until spring to add only a bit of fertilizer. I took note of that.

Can one do something about temperatures under 10°C in winter nights? Maybe covering the tree or something?

Thank you guys!
If the soil is moist you do not water. Why would you water something that already has plenty of moisture? As far as temps go on Lemons I don't protect them at all unless the temps will be below 45F or about 4.5C for an extended period of time and if that happens I use either material like Nsulate or a row cover material. Even a bedsheet works,

Ask a Question