Problems with my Meyer Lemon and Lime Tree - HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United States
These trees started out great, but problems seemed to start when I transplanted them. I used an avocado type soil... they said that would work and was the best they had for what I needed.

See pics.

First pic is when they looked great, other pictures are now.

Screenshot_1.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg

Screenshot_4.jpg

I'm trying to figure out what to do now. I don't want them to die!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
These trees started out great, but problems seemed to start when I transplanted them. I used an avocado type soil... they said that would work and was the best they had for what I needed.

See pics.

First pic is when they looked great, other pictures are now.

View attachment 87553

View attachment 87554

View attachment 87555

View attachment 87556

I'm trying to figure out what to do now. I don't want them to die!

Any help is greatly appreciated.
It appears that your citrus is suffering from nutrient deficiencies, both micro and macro. I would feed them with a good fertilizer such as Espoma, Medina, Fox Farm etc. I would also apply Iron Chelate as it has most of the needed micro-nutrients including zinc. Also, transplant shock may be a limited factor

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, do Apply a complete liquid or granular fertilizer according to the recommended schedule given for the product. 'Complete' means it contains all necessary nutrients.

Also, have you taken light meter readings both near and far away from the light source? Lower leaves may have dropped due to insufficient light intensity.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have the Fox Farm citrus fert and I did give it that. Honestly, that's when it all started to really go bad. It was doing great and doubled in size, bloomed well and everything for about 6 months under the light. When transplant and fertilized and it went down hill.

I'm scared to give it more, but you think that's best?

Could there potentially be a PH problem?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Realize that many metal nutrient deficiencies cannot be fully reversed on prior growth. Often it will be the new growth after fertization that will look normal and healthy. If you have fertilized copletely and sufficiently wait until there is new growth to evaluate before fertilizing further.

However, fertilizing may not be the only problem here.
Light should be very bright. if possible, move them outside in Spring.
Irrigation should be regular, but drainage needs to be good. A potting mix marketed for avocados should be fine.
If growth slows, irrigation should decrease. Make sure the pots drain well and don't let the pot sit in flooded saucers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have the Fox Farm citrus fert and I did give it that. Honestly, that's when it all started to really go bad. It was doing great and doubled in size, bloomed well and everything for about 6 months under the light. When transplant and fertilized and it went down hill.

I'm scared to give it more, but you think that's best?

Could there potentially be a PH problem?
It is possible that Ph could be a problem if the soil is too alkaline, say about 7.2+. The fertilizer did nothing to harm your plants. Being in a container the nutrients leach away much faster than when planted in the ground. Granular fertilizer lasts longer in a container than liquid fertilizers but regular fertilization is still required. Your plants show classic nutrition deficiency. A liquid fertilizer is faster acting than granular but doesn't last near as long. I fertilize all of my container plants with Medina HastaGrow every 2 weeks and with granular once per month. Most commercial organic fertilizers are complete fertilizers but most lack many of the micro nutrients also needed. Citrus also requires a lot of light. It appears that the walls surrounding your plants are made of drywall. Drywall is a non-reflective substance. I would cover the walls with tinfoil to add a reflective surface or at least paint the walls with a bright white high gloss paint. I would also add more lighting if possible.

Ask a Question