Lemon tree

Reaction score
Country
Latvia
So, a bit more then 1 year ago I decided to grow lemon tree from seed and surprise, surprise it worked.
Then about 6 months in it almost died, but thankfully my great grandmother did her magic, it survived and thrived, until something started to eat it and I might have left it outside for 2 nights at around -3c.

As for thing that might be eating it, there are some kind of fruit fly looking things, that seem to mostly run around in dirt and small black spider, from which I assume the few webs are, also there was, that fluffy looking decomposition mold on dirt, but it seems that I got rid of it.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to get pictures of neither flies, nor spider, which I have only seen once.

Here are Imgur link of photos http://imgur.com/gallery/v98Rm (First one is before picture).
Thanks in advance. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So, a bit more then 1 year ago I decided to grow lemon tree from seed and surprise, surprise it worked.
Then about 6 months in it almost died, but thankfully my great grandmother did her magic, it survived and thrived, until something started to eat it and I might have left it outside for 2 nights at around -3c.

As for thing that might be eating it, there are some kind of fruit fly looking things, that seem to mostly run around in dirt and small black spider, from which I assume the few webs are, also there was, that fluffy looking decomposition mold on dirt, but it seems that I got rid of it.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to get pictures of neither flies, nor spider, which I have only seen once.

Here are Imgur link of photos http://imgur.com/gallery/v98Rm (First one is before picture).
Thanks in advance. :)
It looks to me as if you have 3 issues happening. The first is that the plant is planted way too deep. The second is a lack of light because the plant is very leggy and the third is the beginning of a citrus mealy bug infestation as is shown in the 3rd picture, soil level, and on some of the other pictures showing them on the leaves. Remove enough of the soil to let you see the root flare of the plant. Give it more sunlight. Start a spray regimen with neem oil

Reaction score
Country
Latvia
It looks to me as if you have 3 issues happening. The first is that the plant is planted way too deep. The second is a lack of light because the plant is very leggy and the third is the beginning of a citrus mealy bug infestation as is shown in the 3rd picture, soil level, and on some of the other pictures showing them on the leaves. Remove enough of the soil to let you see the root flare of the plant. Give it more sunlight. Start a spray regimen with neem oil
Thanks.
Soil usually isn't that high I added about 4cm layer to prevent mold from forming again, and since you say it's too high I will remove it after few days.
Sunlight wise I'm not sure If i can do anything, since I'm living in 9th floor apartment where for multiple reasons much light won't get in especially in fall, winter time, but reason it's lanky is probably because as you can see in first picture balcony has cement "wall" so light only shone on bottom for about 1hr a day.
And unfortunately I can't keep it on balcony anymore because I doubt that it would like -25c weather.
So some article says that neem oil should bee applied once a week at evening, is that correct?
Oh and oil isn't too thick to be sprayed trough crap window cleaner spray right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks.
Soil usually isn't that high I added about 4cm layer to prevent mold from forming again, and since you say it's too high I will remove it after few days.
Sunlight wise I'm not sure If i can do anything, since I'm living in 9th floor apartment where for multiple reasons much light won't get in especially in fall, winter time, but reason it's lanky is probably because as you can see in first picture balcony has cement "wall" so light only shone on bottom for about 1hr a day.
And unfortunately I can't keep it on balcony anymore because I doubt that it would like -25c weather.
So some article says that neem oil should bee applied once a week at evening, is that correct?
Oh and oil isn't too thick to be sprayed trough crap window cleaner spray right?
Yep, once a week is ok. You mix the oil @2 oz per gallon of water so that would be 1/2 oz per quart and it will easily go through a spray bottle. Just make sure you spray the entire plant, both sides of the leaves and the trunk. You might want to research gro-lights.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I think you have to clean your lemon tree once in a while, maybe every week. Check on the pests and you can remove it by hand or spray with water using a pressurized hose. What pesters our lime and lemon plants are flying insects that lay egss on the young leaves. When hatched, the larva eats the young leaves including the top which ruins the plant. If we cannot totally eradicate the insects, we spray it with water mixed with liquid dish washing soap. It is always effective.

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
I think you have to clean your lemon tree once in a while, maybe every week. Check on the pests and you can remove it by hand or spray with water using a pressurized hose. What pesters our lime and lemon plants are flying insects that lay egss on the young leaves. When hatched, the larva eats the young leaves including the top which ruins the plant. If we cannot totally eradicate the insects, we spray it with water mixed with liquid dish washing soap. It is always effective.

Cleaning a plant seems to be kind of a weird thing since they already have their own cleaning system which is named rain, however, giving it a little help is not that bad.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
Lemon trees can grow easily from seeds, however, it takes lot of time. However, if you have a grafted lemon plant, it will bear fruits quickly. If you plant a lemon tree in a soil it can grow into a big tree, provided it gets fertilizer, water, sun and air. I have successfully grown lemon trees in my garden, however, I have never tried growing lemon tree in a pot or indoor.

Reaction score
Country
Latvia
Lemon trees can grow easily from seeds, however, it takes lot of time. However, if you have a grafted lemon plant, it will bear fruits quickly. If you plant a lemon tree in a soil it can grow into a big tree, provided it gets fertilizer, water, sun and air. I have successfully grown lemon trees in my garden, however, I have never tried growing lemon tree in a pot or indoor.
It being in pot shouldn't be a problem since pot is around 50cm x 50cm, well if you don't count me carrying it down from 9th floor when I'm inevitably moving.
As for it being indoors I'm home most of the day, so I move it into sunlight that gets trough my window, and am looking for cheap grow light so it should be fine too.
And I read that it bears fruit in about 2-3 years so next year or year after that I should have my first lemons, plus lemon leaf tee is pretty good, and since some of the leaves have fallen of because of those bugs I get to have that.

Reaction score
Country
Latvia
Azarashi, I would like to hear more about this, please!! :)
The thing is I'm not really sure what she did, as I was in process of moving and when I left it at her place I had already given up on it, since it went from full, leafy to withered stump with 2 leaves in less then 2 weeks, yet when I came to visit after few months it had come back to life and another sapling had come out of ground.
According to her she just got a little bit bigger pot, but she usually leaves out 90% of information, so who knows,

Ask a Question