Lemon tree pruning

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! we have an 8 year old lemon tree that my daughter planted from an organic seed. It's been indoors under a grow light its entire life. It has grown a bit out of control. It got cold and dropped a lot of leaves over the winter. It's in rough shape. A year ago I pruned a bunch of it back and it recovered very well.

I'm now going to be able to move it outside in summer and have it in a greenhouse in winter so it will still get some natural sun. At this time I need to prune it back so it can be moved and for future health. It will also be going into a larger pot.

From my understanding, I have an issue right at the base where it splits into two. From the citrus pruning guide I read, it shouldn't have two branches coming off at the same point. I'm a bit hesitant to take off one side though as they are about equal in size and it's removing half the tree. Would it be best to do that though and let it reestablish with one central truck?

thank you for any input.
John

20230507_235440.jpg20230508_001215.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Cut off anything you don’t want. The twin trunks would be a real problem in a warmer climate where it would grow quite large, but that won’t be a problem where you are. You could just make one of the trunks shorter and let it be a branch instead.

Ask a Question