Lemon tree sticky

fei

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone help me identify and what to do with this lemon tree please? It's become really sticky (so has my orange tree) and leave are dropping off although new ones have formed. There's brown spots on the leaves and the old ones become withered. What can I do?

Attachments

• 20220922_142225.jpg
    20220922_142225.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220922_142210.jpg
    20220922_142210.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220922_142135.jpg
    20220922_142135.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The stickiness is caused by a scale insect infestation. In the second picture I see a lot of hard scale insects but there must be a lot of soft scale too. In the first picture it appears those brown spots are brown soft scale insects. In any case it is scale insects that is causing the stickiness and the weakening of the tree. What I would do is start a spray regime of Neem Oil. Spray the entire surface of the plant every 5-7 days for a month and remove ALL infected leaves from the soil. Also, although I can't be 100% sure, that the plant is also suffering from a lack of nutrition. I can't be sure because of the damage the scale has done to the leaves but it appears to be a lack of micro-nutrients. I would fertilize with what you have been using plus I would also feed with a product such as Liquid Iron or Chelated Iron.
The dead scale will NOT fall off of the limbs of the tree as they are attached. The tree has to force them off with growth.

fei

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ah thanks very much, I have been negligent in feeding citric feed, in fact I forgot all about it to be honest. I did try neem oil before, perhaps the solution was too weak, I was hesitant because I heard it can kill the plant. I'll give it another go. Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ah thanks very much, I have been negligent in feeding citric feed, in fact I forgot all about it to be honest. I did try neem oil before, perhaps the solution was too weak, I was hesitant because I heard it can kill the plant. I'll give it another go. Thanks for the help.
Regarding Neem Oil. It has a short shelf life after opening, maybe 6 weeks. Follow the directions as too much can burn foliage in hot sun. And after using it on hard scale insects, you cannot tell the difference between a live one and a dead one by looking at them.

fei

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Regarding Neem Oil. It has a short shelf life after opening, maybe 6 weeks. Follow the directions as too much can burn foliage in hot sun. And after using it on hard scale insects, you cannot tell the difference between a live one and a dead one by looking at them.
Oh, thanks. I had no idea neem oil had such a short shelf life. I've never seen these insects move, they're very strange. Can they be picked off i wonder?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, thanks. I had no idea neem oil had such a short shelf life. I've never seen these insects move, they're very strange. Can they be picked off i wonder?
I don't know but what I would do first is just rub them with my fingers. They look to be easy to smush.

Tuilly

Submit Your Favourite Plant to win Cash.
Reaction score
Country
United States
I also have a lemon tree. thank god that is healthy and blooming.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The stickiness in your lemon tree might have been caused due to insect infection you need to spray neem have grown lots of oil. In my garden I have grown lots of lemon trees this year and they are growing good, enjoying the warmth of the atmosphere.

Ask a Question