What to do with this meyer lemon tree?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I was given this meyer lemon tree in the fall. At the time, it had 3 lemons and a lot of leaves. Over the course of the winter, a lot of the leaves dropped, and the plant looks naked. I live in Canada, so there isn't much sunlight in the winter time. I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong to cause the leaves to drop.

Anyway, I just harvested the 3 lemons, and I'm just wondering what the next steps are for this plant to thrive in the coming spring and summer. Should I prune? If so, which branches should I cut off? There seems to be one thick branch and a lot of extra little branches growing from the bottom of the plant. Or should I cut the one at the top?

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• 68822911504__BB1D7F20-3A79-4272-B800-AE80A3F8C614.jpg
    68822911504__BB1D7F20-3A79-4272-B800-AE80A3F8C614.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would not do any pruning at all at this time. The plant is stressed because of low light. If it were mine I would provide a lot of artificial light until it can be safely moved outdoors. Then when the plant is restored you may prune if desired but citrus likes to be a thick bush.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thank you! I'll try that.

With adequate light, will the plant fill up and become bushy?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes, but it won't really fill in until summer. The leaf drop is due to the lack of sufficient light, not anything else you've done. Expect it every winter when you bring it inside.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
If I got an artificial light for every winter when I bring it inside, would it stay bushy?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
With "a" light very doubtful, but with numerous lights it will stay much bushier. Lemons are a tropical/sub tropical plant and need a lot of sunlight. Canada is not the place to grow a lemon. But if you construct an indoor growing space with overhead and surrounding lights you can be successful. I know a lady that has a lemon and a lime growing in her walk-in closet which is now a light room.

Ask a Question