Meyer Lemon Tree in container

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I purchased a Meyer Lemon Tree last spring to be grown on my deck in a large half wine barrel container. It had small flowers and a few leaves when I re-planted it and it gave me about a dozen lemons through the fall. I live in the Atlanta area and I am now covering it when there is a stretch of below freezing temps. Currently, it has no leaves and I wanted to inquire if this is normal for my area and the time of year? Am I doing the right thing by covering it to avoid frost? It gets plenty of sunshine on above freezing days. Would love anyone's thoughts. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi! I purchased a Meyer Lemon Tree last spring to be grown on my deck in a large half wine barrel container. It had small flowers and a few leaves when I re-planted it and it gave me about a dozen lemons through the fall. I live in the Atlanta area and I am now covering it when there is a stretch of below freezing temps. Currently, it has no leaves and I wanted to inquire if this is normal for my area and the time of year? Am I doing the right thing by covering it to avoid frost? It gets plenty of sunshine on above freezing days. Would love anyone's thoughts. Thanks!
No, it is not normal. Lemons are evergreen plants. Some leaf drop is normal but complete leaf drop is not. You should always either move the plant inside or cover it during cold weather. What is probably happening is that the tree, while not freezing, is too cold and is stressing out the plant

Sky

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yup, bring it inside when the temps dip below 50, they hate cold. Mine will set fruit twice a year usually and theyre great indoors since they dont like being watered often! :)

Ask a Question