Meyer Lemon Tree, leaves browning

Reaction score
Country
Australia
hi, I've had this dwarf lemon tree for about 7 months now and it's been perfectly happy for the most part. Some of the leaves have suddenly started to turn an odd orange brown colour. The leaves don't feel crispy or dry and the tree gets regular watering, I'm not sure what to do about it as this is my first citrus tree. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0652.JPG
    IMG_0652.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 923
Reaction score
Country
Slovenia
Hi Cait. First problem that can be seen is sign of citrus edema (migh not be the only problem but it is the obvious one) this is physiological problem caused by improper watering regime in conection with not the best soil temperature. Before diagnosing further, can you describe a bit where your (potted?) tree is located and at what temperature? However I would say that the root problem for your leaf drop is watering regime, hopefully it did not yet affect the roots.

Hope you find right solution for your tree.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I think your probably onto something there with the soil temperature. a bit of background first, my mum was actually the one who bought this tree, she's got good intentions but she tends to get busy and forget about her plants, I've just taken over for her for this plant. We live in south east Queensland, australia so it gets pretty damn hot here and it's been in a black pot so it's been a bit sad (the reason why it's now in my care) I currently have it in the shade for most of the day but it's getting about three hours of sun in the morning, just for a few days before I can find a better place for it. I'm about to repot it into a big clay pot so it gets a bit more protection from the crazy temperature variation, as we are currently in spring we had frost about three days ago and in another three days we are forecast to have a 38 degree(Celsius) day. Could you tell me a bit more about what citrus edema is exactly?

Reaction score
Country
Slovenia
Hi, it does make sense all together but you will have to figure out yourself when the problem developed as I do not have precise data about when you moved, repotted,... your tree. Sure, there is short and simple explanation about citrus edema: it develops when the roots are functioning too actively in relation to activity of evapotranspiration process in leaves. when this happens the roots provide water to the plant, but because of the leaf inactivity the water can not evaporate from the plant and so the water builds up in the leaves, and when lasting too long, causes slow decay of leaf tissue.
So, this happens when the root area is exposed to too warm soil (making roots functioning too actively) but at the same time leaves are exposed to cooler temperature (making them not fully active or inactive at temperatures below 16C). - Best example of this is, if you put potted plant on the windowsill above heating radiator, heating the soil, while leaves are exposed to cold air rising up beside glass.

Hope I did succede to explain :)

As i read your last post again the solution might be to put the tree somewhere where the whole tree would be in more stable temperature environment.

You must have in mind that present state of your plant is the consequence of past activity and conditions.

Last edited:

Ask a Question