Save lemon tree and protect bark from rodents?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It looks like rats got to the bark on our otherwise healthy lemon tree last night (or very recently- see pic). I know from a past experience that this can kill the tree pretty quickly. There is some bark left from the ground up on the back side right now.

Assuming the tree does not die right now- I thought maybe I could wrap the trunk in chicken wire? Any other ideas?

Do I need to protect the area that has been exposed right away (it is in direct sunlight) ? can it grow back?

lemon_tree_bark.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If there is enough bark on the back side it should survive and chicken wire is about the only option but I wouldn't hold my breath. Do you have porcupines?

Reaction score
Country
United States
No this is city- it's usually rats. The only other thing we get is raccoons. Is it worth trying to setup a bridge graft? on the exposed part? I just learned about bridge grafting today

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With no real knowledge or experience I would be tempted to take both ends off a tin can, cut it top to bottom, and wrap it around, chicken wire is full of holes they can access through and easier to climb. I know nothing of bridge grafting, is it just a layer of bark?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well- setup two bridge grafts, covered, and caged in chicken wire... If it survives I will just start making sure to harvest the lemons as often as possible as the fruit seems to be what they are mainly after (found lots of eaten lemons on the tree when I discovered this girdling).. Fingers crossed..

bridge_graft.jpg

Ask a Question