Lemon sprouts don't grow!

Reaction score
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Hey guys I started to grow five lemons out of seeds from June. They sprouted well and it seemed everything was fine until the moment I realized the lemons wouldn't grow anymore. Funny thing is that my cousin's lemons, which also sprouted about the same time like mine, are actually now about knee-high (mines are about the size of my index finger)!

It is my first time to grow lemons (I have many other plants though), so any help would be greatly appreciated since I want them to grow bigger and stronger for the winter. I attached a photo of two of my lemons just in case.

Much appreciated!:)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 296
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @tyliam! :)

Thanks for the photo, that's always appreciated. I see you are in the UK - what are the conditions like where you have the plants? Citrus trees need a bright sunny place, are they getting enough sun and warmth?

Reaction score
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Welcome to the forum @tyliam! :)

Thanks for the photo, that's always appreciated. I see you are in the UK - what are the conditions like where you have the plants? Citrus trees need a bright sunny place, are they getting enough sun and warmth?

Hi Becky, thanks for your reply!

I think I scrolled down the mouse cursor just before I chose my country. I'm from South Korea. Sorry to have confused you. :(

It's summer here and the average temperature during the season is about 28~31 degrees. I put my plants on balcony and I believe they get more than 6 hours of sun and warmth during the daytime. I water them soon as the soil gets dry, and it rains at least 3 days a week in June, so watering is not the problem I reckon. I just can't stop thinking that I have bought the weak lemons in the first place. :( Should I give them some fertilizer? I was told I should not fertilize them until they grow bigger, at least a year old.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are those the original pots in which the seeds were planted? What is the growing medium? Potting soil, seed starter, dirt?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
In addition to what has already been asked, I am wondering what it the difference between your growing conditions and those of your cousin. Are you both growing the same way? Meaning same seed, same containers, same soil, watering habits, amount of light, etc.?

Reaction score
Although there are many reasons as to why your seedling may not be thriving - for example

not getting enough sun - minimum of which is 8 hours per day
the environment is too cool
lack of light
too much water
too much fertilizer
fluctuating temperatures
as well as a lack of Magnesium

as growing medium is rarely an issue for lemon trees - particularly as they generally do better in poor soil than they do in fertile soil - so long as it is well drained

I'm more inclined to think from looking at your photo - the main cause of your problem may well be over-watering - particularly as - not only does the whole of your plant look to be covered in water droplets - but the pot appears to be sitting in water too - which unfortunately - as lemon trees need to be grown in extremely well drained soil and kept on the dry side - leads to root rot from water logging and generally an untimely demise.

In fact as young lemon trees develop into stronger healthier trees without any fertilizer and as little water as possible - I think you may well be better letting it dry out and then only watering when it really, really needs it and preferably from the bottom rather than from the top.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We also grow lemons from seeds although there was a time that we did marcotting just for an experiment. Early this year, we had planted lemon seeds and guess what, only 1 seed sprouted. It is now a good 4 inches with several leaves so it's for sure that it will grow. I cannot answer why the other seeds, about 50 or so, did not fertilize at all. Or maybe the birds may have eaten them, I really don't know.

Ask a Question