LED light for my plants

Reaction score
Country
India
Just bought an LED grow light for my indoor plants.
The light contains a combination of Red and Blue LEDs.
The combination gives an output light as pink color.

My problem is that this light isn't very bright.
The seller told me that is each light is of 10 watts.
Is this normal that the grow light with a combination
of Red and Blue LEDs isn't that bright as compared
to a normal LED light.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Led light technical details are so much gobble de gook. I spent some time on the internet and looking at the lights in Home Depot. I bought one light which was classed as daylight and the light was yellow so I took it back. I got another and it is more white light. I am experimenting.

For my main grow I am using CFL, compact fluorescent lights, which are the mainstay of the growing area. These are large bulbs which screw into a typical socket. I like them since there is almost no heat. They are ideal for growing marijuana plants for the home grower.

My view on artificial light is one can never have too much. I never produce a final product from artificial light, but only give plants a good start prior to planting outdoors.

Prophet

Intelligently Inquisitive
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just bought an LED grow light for my indoor plants.
The light contains a combination of Red and Blue LEDs.
The combination gives an output light as pink color.

My problem is that this light isn't very bright.
The seller told me that is each light is of 10 watts.
Is this normal that the grow light with a combination
of Red and Blue LEDs isn't that bright as compared
to a normal LED light.
LED's I've noticed for the most part look the same brightness wise. I use a 400w full spectrum and its not super bright but does a fantastic job at growing the plants and vegetables I grow inside. What is the wattage of your lights and the 10watts per light doesn't seem accurate. It would be beneficial if your light also had green, and infrared b/c lots of plants benefit from that but depending on what you are growing will probably be sufficient.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
LED's I've noticed for the most part look the same brightness wise. I use a 400w full spectrum and its not super bright but does a fantastic job at growing the plants and vegetables I grow inside. What is the wattage of your lights and the 10watts per light doesn't seem accurate. It would be beneficial if your light also had green, and infrared b/c lots of plants benefit from that but depending on what you are growing will probably be sufficient.

Do you have a URL for the light you use? It would be appreciated.

Prophet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
https://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horticulture-GL80X5LED-Spectrum-Growing/dp/B00KC6LT5C?th=1

What type do you have if you don't mind me asking as I don't know anyone besides myself that uses one. The pricing deters a lot of people and most just aren't informed enough about how good they actually are. Its just now slowly starting to become more popular which is surprising to me.

That lamp is expensive. Too expensive. CFL compact fluorescent lamps are more cost effective.

Prophet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That lamp is expensive. Too expensive. CFL compact fluorescent lamps are more cost effective.
That's what usually deters people right off. It more than makes up for it in the long run though b/c its not only more cost effective than CFL on your bill but LED will last around 25000 hrs vs 8000hrs of CFL's (3 times longer). And they virtually produce no heat. You couldn't have a CFL bulb touching your plant, you can with LED.

They have a wider range of lights designed for every plant in mind also. But it all depends on what you grow too. I could grow tons of plants with my light at one time (its overkill for indoors for what I need) and I had the money to spend up front so no issues with that on my end. I mainly got one b/c I wanted to see about the heat aspects if they really produced no heat and I have a saltwater tank I could use it on for my live plants. As of right now I couldn't be given any other kind of light or paid to use one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
India
Does the theory of red and blue lights apply to the water plants too ?
For instance, do water lily or lotus plants need the same light
spectrum as the normal plants do ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
No replies since most people don't have any knowledge on the subject. I tend to use a full a spectrum if possible just by perusing the sales babble. Also I try to use as much Sunlight as possible.

Ask a Question