Leaving plants behind

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm in a predicament right now, this is something I've been thinking about for a while, the fact I might have to leave my planys behind once I move to the Netherlands (It looks like it could be next year). Sadly my mom doesn't care about plants not even a bit, and wouldn't even water them or make sure they're ok, because in her opinion that's a total waste of time :cry:(n)

Right now I'm thinking the best option is to give my plants away before I leave. I'm still thinking on the people I'd like to take care of them. I know it might sound silly to some, but I invested so much time, energy and money on them I don't want to risk them leaving them under the care of my parents. I realize it might not sound silly to you tho :D but it sounds extremely silly to my mom.

It worries me a bit that person doesn't take care properly of my plants, but I have no choice. What would you?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the same boat, have been whittling the plants down, giving them to folk I know would like them.

The Olive tree and Herb planter are going to my Sister's, that just leaves me with the minature roses and a cactus. I'm sure Claudine will be round for the Roses

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It doesn't sound silly at all! I'm sure that I would be heartbroken if I had to give my plants away. Especially my miniature roses are my little treasures and they're very important to me.
If I were you, I would visit as many friends as possible and check if they have plants and if they take good care of them.
And I would choose those that seem to be the best at gardening.
I'm sure that they'll be happy to get some more plants:)

Reaction score
Not the least bit silly, Trellum! I've also had to consider the possibility of leaving my home. Since I wouldn't move far my house plants would go with me, but when I think of all the plants I've put in outside over the years it makes me sad (read breaks my heart) to think of leaving them behind. I've been wondering whether I can take some with me or not. Many of them were gifts from students over my years in preschool. Others have sentimental value for other reasons. And, well, just because I have loved them for the time I've had them, cared for them, watched them, taken pleasure in them. So, you see....your feelings aren't silly at all. It'a actually helpful to me to hear how you feel and be able to write about my own struggle with this. Your parents just don't have the same love of green things growing that you do. I'm sorry that they aren't willing to care for them in your absence, but I think it's good that you know that NOW. Because now you have the opportunity to do as you've suggested, and Claudine has seconded: take time to find out who would like those plants and would love them. Chances are there are friends who will be sad to see YOU go and would love a tangible little piece of you to care for, something that makes them think of you often and remember special times together, etc.

Reaction score
Thanks, Babbles :) It's good to know I'm not crazy for feeling the way I feel! My mom thinks they're just plants, isn't like I'll be abandoning my dogs here or anything like that! but it makes me sad to think they'll die if I leave. I'l get new plants in the Netherlands, I'm sure, but I the plants I will leave behind have a very special meaning for me. I started growing them back when I was still healthy, and they remind me of that... it gives me some hope at the same time. I'm so glad to finally hear from someone else who has similar feelings to mine (towards her plants), I didn't think a lot people felt this way for them!

I'm not sure if I can trust my friends with my plants, I was thinking of giving them to a lady who loves plants, and takes really good care of them. I don't want my plants to be neglected in any way. Specially my calla lilies. Difficult decisions :( I wish I could take 'em with me, but that's impossible. I'll be starting a new life there, so I guess I should feel happy.

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, have been whittling the plants down, giving them to folk I know would like them.

The Olive tree and Herb planter are going to my Sister's, that just leaves me with the minature roses and a cactus. I'm sure Claudine will be round for the Roses

Are you moving outside the UK then? :eek: If you don't mind me asking... where are you planning to go? Are you planning to move somewhere else in Europe as well or...maybe a different continent?

Reaction score
It doesn't sound silly at all! I'm sure that I would be heartbroken if I had to give my plants away. Especially my miniature roses are my little treasures and they're very important to me.
If I were you, I would visit as many friends as possible and check if they have plants and if they take good care of them.
And I would choose those that seem to be the best at gardening.
I'm sure that they'll be happy to get some more plants:)

I'll try to do that, but most of my friends seems to be interested in parties and drinking, lol. I've been knowing them since elementary/junior high/high school, we have nothing in common, but since we've been knowing each other for too long... we're still friends. I'm an introvert by nature, for some reason most of my friends are extroverts and don't seem to be interested in gardening at all :( I feel like a weirdo right now, lol :LOL: :giggle: I'm thinking of giving mine away to a neighbor of mine who really seems to love gardening. She has the most beautiful geraniums I've ever seen!

Thanks for saying this isn't silly at all :) I felt better after reading that :)(y)

Reaction score
Not the least bit silly, Trellum! I've also had to consider the possibility of leaving my home. Since I wouldn't move far my house plants would go with me, but when I think of all the plants I've put in outside over the years it makes me sad (read breaks my heart) to think of leaving them behind. I've been wondering whether I can take some with me or not. Many of them were gifts from students over my years in preschool. Others have sentimental value for other reasons. And, well, just because I have loved them for the time I've had them, cared for them, watched them, taken pleasure in them. So, you see....your feelings aren't silly at all. It'a actually helpful to me to hear how you feel and be able to write about my own struggle with this. Your parents just don't have the same love of green things growing that you do. I'm sorry that they aren't willing to care for them in your absence, but I think it's good that you know that NOW. Because now you have the opportunity to do as you've suggested, and Claudine has seconded: take time to find out who would like those plants and would love them. Chances are there are friends who will be sad to see YOU go and would love a tangible little piece of you to care for, something that makes them think of you often and remember special times together, etc.

What a great idea to give them to friends and how lovely the sentiment you said about taking care of the plants as keeping a connection with you. As to the folks, I would never give or leave a plant with the unwilling or uninterested. Since you dont want to have any hard feelings either way, I would find "foster homes" to save the plants and to save any guilt or hard feelings if you plants did not survive with your family.

Reaction score
Trellum I can certainly equate with your feelings on this one, together with everyone elses.

Sadly, this is something I have had to do many times so far in my life, often having to leave whole gardens behind, that I had started from scratch and nurtured over the years, and each time it was absolutely heartbreaking, :cry: and am not at all ashamed to say that, it was not always easy to hold back the tears.

Like everyone has mentioned here, finding new homes for your plants and caring owners is you best answer, had been going to suggest your neighbor, with the beautiful geraniums, but see you've already been thinking of her. As some of your cuttings came from her, am sure that she would be delighted and touched to receive your plants as gifts when you leave.

I always try to re-home as many plants as possible before leaving, by offering my plants to friends and anyone who has previously admired them, that way I could be happy, knowing that someone else is getting just as much pleasure from the plants as I did, in fact many have been kind enough to send photos, of many of the plants I gave them, to show me how they have matured over the years :)

I know it doesn't make it any easier, but I think you have focus on the pleasure you have received from owning and caring for those plants, and look forward to the new ones you are going to have when you move, especially as you are moving to Holland, where there is plenty of choice and the new challenge of what you will grow there - the climate is very different from the one you are used to.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Look for a neighbourhood garden which you like, and give the plants to the keeper of that garden.

It's the best I can suggest.

Reaction score
Ask at Nursing homes. We do service in nursing homes frequently and most have a lot of live plants. I'd imagine that they would get good care and be very appreciated by the folks who live there.

Reaction score
I agree with the others in this thread, I don't think it sounds silly at all. If I were you I would give them away, maybe to a neighbour or to someone who I know would love to have my plants. If I can’t find someone who will accept my plants, then I would donate it to a place that would accept it (maybe my old high school). Even when I leave the country for a few days I worry about my plants; who will water them?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Are you moving outside the UK then? :eek: If you don't mind me asking... where are you planning to go? Are you planning to move somewhere else in Europe as well or...maybe a different continent?

Not sure where i'm going yet, but i'm putting all my stuff into storage till I get settled again.

Reaction score
Oh ok, Zigs! I hope you find that place you are looking for soon :) I wasn't even sure I'd be moving to the Netherlands for good, but now it seems it'll be a fact soon. You never know what is awaiting for you, sometimes it's really scary :notworthy:

Reaction score
Trellum I can certainly equate with your feelings on this one, together with everyone elses.

Sadly, this is something I have had to do many times so far in my life, often having to leave whole gardens behind, that I had started from scratch and nurtured over the years, and each time it was absolutely heartbreaking, :cry: and am not at all ashamed to say that, it was not always easy to hold back the tears.

Like everyone has mentioned here, finding new homes for your plants and caring owners is you best answer, had been going to suggest your neighbor, with the beautiful geraniums, but see you've already been thinking of her. As some of your cuttings came from her, am sure that she would be delighted and touched to receive your plants as gifts when you leave.

I always try to re-home as many plants as possible before leaving, by offering my plants to friends and anyone who has previously admired them, that way I could be happy, knowing that someone else is getting just as much pleasure from the plants as I did, in fact many have been kind enough to send photos, of many of the plants I gave them, to show me how they have matured over the years :)

I know it doesn't make it any easier, but I think you have focus on the pleasure you have received from owning and caring for those plants, and look forward to the new ones you are going to have when you move, especially as you are moving to Holland, where there is plenty of choice and the new challenge of what you will grow there - the climate is very different from the one you are used to.

I'm actually very excited right now :p My boyfriend said that when we get there, he is going to show me a place, that is supposed to be one of the biggest plant markets in the world. I might end up working there as well in the future :D Here is the link: http://www.floraholland.com/en/about-floraholland/visit-the-flower-auction/aalsmeer/
I'm so excited about that! I think I'll be able to find every plant I've dreamt of over here! Looks like the Netherlands is the perfect gardening paradise!

As for my plants... I'm still a bit down, but I've decided who is going to keep my plants already :) Yes, I'm talking about the geraniums lady :) I still have some of her cuttings... now they're beautiful plants! I'm sure she will take really good care of them. She seems to take this hobby really seriously and doesn't seem to get bored at all! Which is good, because there are some people who start taking care of the plants very well, but later they get bored and neglect them :censored::cry:

Ask a Question