Leaving plants behind

Reaction score
Ask at Nursing homes. We do service in nursing homes frequently and most have a lot of live plants. I'd imagine that they would get good care and be very appreciated by the folks who live there.

Thanks, I thought of nursing homes. Actually my granpa spends some times in one, this place is very close to my place. So, I might go there or call them and ask. I guess my plants would be cared for over there :) For now I'm thinking my neighbor will do, I'll give my desertic plants to friends, since they love being neglected. I only hope they don't over water them!

Reaction score
I agree with the others in this thread, I don't think it sounds silly at all. If I were you I would give them away, maybe to a neighbour or to someone who I know would love to have my plants. If I can’t find someone who will accept my plants, then I would donate it to a place that would accept it (maybe my old high school). Even when I leave the country for a few days I worry about my plants; who will water them?

Yeah, I'm going to travel to the Netherlands with my boyfriend next year (january), but my dad assured me he will be watering them. Not sure if he will protect them from the winter tho! But I do worry about my plants as well when I'm out of the country :) I'm glad to meet people who feel the same way about my plants, it must be a women's things :p We tend to be more sensitive and emotional, so maybe this is why :) I think my neighbor will accept my plans, I'm just waiting to start making plans with my boyfriend soon. We are going to the Netherlands for that same reason.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh ok, Zigs! I hope you find that place you are looking for soon :) I wasn't even sure I'd be moving to the Netherlands for good, but now it seems it'll be a fact soon. You never know what is awaiting for you, sometimes it's really scary :notworthy:

Ta Trellum:)

Holland? Blimey, good place if you like plant production. I'll have to post lots of pictures of hills though, in case you forget what they look like:D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Trellum :D

Cool, i've bought stuff from Dutch suppliers, some good quality seeds.

You know it can be freezing for extended periods in the winter out there?

Reaction score
Trellum, am glad you've decided on who you plan to leave your plants with, at least you can see them firmly ensconced in their new home before you leave.:)

Zigs is perfectly right - you will forget what even a mound looks like, let alone a hill or a mountain, its flatter than anywhere I have ever known. I lived there for 4 years and had to keep going for holidays,in the Italian Alps and Switzerland just to feel normal. :D

Yes you'll certainly be in plant paradise in Holland, you may even come across some of those people, who wear white coats and work in labs, whilst looking for new plant varieties to excite the gardeners :D

As everyone has said, it is pretty cold there in the Winter, but the houses are warm and the central heating for some reason, seems to be much more effective than in some other countries.

You do know that, if you are working in at 'floraholland' we will all be expecting discounts on our orders, don't you.

Reaction score
Hey Trellum :D

Cool, i've bought stuff from Dutch suppliers, some good quality seeds.

You know it can be freezing for extended periods in the winter out there?

Yeah, I was told the winter over the can be extreme! I'm actually looking forward to taking pictures of a very grey and snowy Amsterdam (I'll get there on jan 28!). Kinda disappointed I'll not be seeing tulips (n) I wanted to take a picture of me.. standing next to a windmill surrounded by a bunch of tulips :D

Reaction score
Trellum, am glad you've decided on who you plan to leave your plants with, at least you can see them firmly ensconced in their new home before you leave.:)

Zigs is perfectly right - you will forget what even a mound looks like, let alone a hill or a mountain, its flatter than anywhere I have ever known. I lived there for 4 years and had to keep going for holidays,in the Italian Alps and Switzerland just to feel normal. :D

Yes you'll certainly be in plant paradise in Holland, you may even come across some of those people, who wear white coats and work in labs, whilst looking for new plant varieties to excite the gardeners :D

As everyone has said, it is pretty cold there in the Winter, but the houses are warm and the central heating for some reason, seems to be much more effective than in some other countries.

You do know that, if you are working in at 'floraholland' we will all be expecting discounts on our orders, don't you.

Do you think it's colder than in Norway? I lived there for a while, the winters in Norway were tough, but not so much because I lived in Oslo. Far in the north the winters were brutal, but I managed wearing just a pair of jeans, a t-shirt and a jacket/coat. LOL, I was crazy!!! I'll be visiting holland in the winter... on january next year :LOL: I'm a bit nervious to be honest, but if I survived several norwegian winters, I'll surely survive a dutch one (y)

By the way, how did you end up over there? It's funny how we end up in places we never expect. If I had been asked what I thought or knew about the Netherlands some years ago... I'd have said: ''Nothing''. Let alone think of moving there! It's be interesting to be there... over here we are surrounded by huge mountains... what a change :confused:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Trellum, so glad you are finding homes for you plants. Some of my favorite plants came from a neighbor who was moving to a different part of the country and couldn't take them. Plant clubs always have plant loving people, and I have even struck up conversations with clerks at small plant nurseries that were interested in giving good homes to well loved plants of mine. Good luck on your move.

Reaction score
How on earth did you survive Winter in Norway, wearing so few clothes :D am thinking you are right - you may well be crazy :LOL: My husband used to frequent Norway on business quite a lot, but always took tons of thick sweaters and Arctic clothing, and hes not one to feel the cold, when I think its freezing and put another log on the fire, hes breaking into a sweat.

If you survived Norway in so few clothes :)am sure you'll be just fine in Holland, but as with all Countries, depends very much on which part you are going to. Where I lived in Holland ,we had what you would call 'dry cold', which is the sort of cold that initially on first venturing out - it doesn't feel too cold but within five minutes or so, you've lost all feeling in your hands and feet, so would advise in investing in some thermal underwear and some heavy duty Artic clothing. :D

You are also seriously going to miss those mountains and it might well to a good idea to take plenty of mountain photos with you - the larger the better.

Reaction score
LOL, it surely is strange to think this place is as flas as a female olympic swimmer's chest :p As for the cold, I was in Oslo. Not that cold, but there were times I felt like freezing! To this day I don't know how I made it, the last time I was there I felt my ears were ready to burst any moment! I didn't go out that much tho, just meet friends at a bar at night or during the day going to work and do some grocery shopping. Not much really. I'll be very close to Amsterdam, in Blokker actually.

Reaction score
Trellum, so glad you are finding homes for you plants. Some of my favorite plants came from a neighbor who was moving to a different part of the country and couldn't take them. Plant clubs always have plant loving people, and I have even struck up conversations with clerks at small plant nurseries that were interested in giving good homes to well loved plants of mine. Good luck on your move.

Woah, you have plant clubs over there!? What an awesome place to live!!! It must be awesome to meet and talk with people who actually like to talk about plants and share tips - face to face, I meant! That gotta be awesome :) Thanks a lot :) If I move, I'll be moving to a better place with a lot new plants to discover (y) My old plants will get all the care they need, so I couldn't be happier! :giggle:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Trellum is there a garden club nearby? Maybe if you could find some people who are as caring as you are about your plants you would feel better leaving them behind. It's hard letting go, especially after all that time and effort, but at least you know that you will be able to have a garden again in the future once you've settled in.

Reaction score
Not as far as I know, I don't think there is gardening club nearby, and if there is one... I've never heard about it :( For now I think my neighbor will be perfect for this :) She really likes plants and has several of her own, she's a genius with flowers and growing things from seed so I feel pretty confident she'll know what to do :) As for a garden... lucky me, because it seems the Netherlands is a great place to be a gardener :D

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's not silly at all to care about your plants and want to know they are being cared for. When I moved from the west coast to the east cost I attended a flea market and sold or gave away all of my plants. I knew the people who purchased them admired the beauty of the plants as much as I did and would care for them as I had cared for them. I had one plant that was so pretty it hurt my heart to sell it. So many people so it and wanted it for themselves.

Ask a Question