Late Season Plantings

Reaction score
Greetings,
I had made plans for a variety of container plants [vegetables]... but my landlord decided to work on my porchette. I would still like to plant some type of veggies or herbs ... but have no idea what to start so late in the season. Would potatoes be a good choice...? I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Where abouts in the world are you? As far as I know you can still plant leafy veg, such as lettuce, spinach and rocket, but I'm not so sure about fruit/veg bearing plants...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
If you have even a small yard in addition to the porchette, then you can maybe go ahead and plant the veggies in the pots, and keep them somewhere else until he is finished with the remodeling there.
Potatoes are a root crop, and would be fine, but you will need to use a very large pot so they have room to set the potatoes.
I think that you can grow some smaller veggies easily, like cucumbers, and maybe even cantaloupes , as well as the salad greens mentioned by Becky.
It definitely depends a lot on where you live, and what the growing season is like there, as well as how large the porch area is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'd say the best thing is to start some herbs on the windowsill until the work on the porchette is done. Herbs are one of the most gratifying things to grow because they can be harvested and used right away. They also do not require a lot of growing space to get started with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Herbs that I have planted before doing well in pots are Italian basil, chives, rosemary, cilantro and thyme. I haven't grown any other vegetables in pots, just herbs and had great results with them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wish I lived in an area where I can have a year round garden. Unfortunately, we get a lot of snow where I live and the ground freezes so I am unable to have year round garden. I always have a year round herb garden indoors and typically bring a lot of my plants inside during the winter.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
You should avoid planting your crops late to avoid pests and diseases. You must plant your crops in time if you want to increase your yields. You should also consider whether you want to water your crops or you plant them on a rain season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Do you want to grow them indoors? If yes, choose something that doesn't need a lot of space. Some herbs would be a great idea. They smell beautiful and you can use them in your kitchen. I also love sprouts. They're delicious and very easy to grow. Radish sprouts taste like fresh radishes:)

Ask a Question